Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Help Upgrading Dell Precision T3400!

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 16, 2012 12:58:16 AM

I have a Dell Precision T3400. I would like to upgrade it to a good gaming desktop. I have researched some parts and would like to know if they are compatible. If the parts are not compatible can you please give me some good alternitives. This is my first full upgrade. I need some help thank you! These are the parts I want
Processer with Motherboard:
http://www.outletpc.com/c1018c0-intel-core-i5-2500k-asu...
Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM:
http://www.corsair.com/us/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/...
Video Card:
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=GA-660TI2G&c=fr&p...
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2012 1:02:14 PM

the parts you picked are way overpriced. the Dell case is somewhat proprietary, so the MB probably won' t fit. you need to get a new case. the PSU you chose is terrible also. here is was I would do.

reuse your DVD and HDD (use the HDD as secondary storage)

buy:

Case (place holder. pick any case you like)
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate
$49.99
PSU
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89.99
MB
GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$129.99
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$204.99
RAM
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$40.99
GPU
EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$299.99
SSD (use as you boot drive and apps drive)
Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99.99
--------
$915.93 + $7.33 Shipping = $923.26

September 16, 2012 8:09:27 PM

jerreddredd said:
the parts you picked are way overpriced. the Dell case is somewhat proprietary, so the MB probably won' t fit. you need to get a new case. the PSU you chose is terrible also. here is was I would do.

reuse your DVD and HDD (use the HDD as secondary storage)

buy:

Case (place holder. pick any case you like)
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate
$49.99
PSU
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89.99
MB
GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$129.99
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$204.99
RAM
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$40.99
GPU
EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$299.99
SSD (use as you boot drive and apps drive)
Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99.99
--------
$915.93 + $7.33 Shipping = $923.26


I would really like to know if it will fit. I really like the case I have. It means alot to me. and im on a budget.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2012 9:10:40 PM

It's a BTX case, can't use an ATX motherboard
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2012 5:29:52 AM

there's your answer ^
a b B Homebuilt system
September 17, 2012 5:31:53 AM

if you are on that tight a budget why a $300 GPU?

dropping the SSD out of my build puts you under what you were originally going to spend including the case.
September 20, 2012 12:09:11 AM

jerreddredd said:
if you are on that tight a budget why a $300 GPU?

dropping the SSD out of my build puts you under what you were originally going to spend including the case.



Im a hardcore computer gamer. I wanna play games like BattleField 3 and skyrim and such games what video card is best to fit that I would like Nvidia.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2012 5:31:38 AM

racingmax53 said:
Im a hardcore computer gamer. I wanna play games like BattleField 3 and skyrim and such games what video card is best to fit that I would like Nvidia.


I understand. in that case you should think about the GTX 660. less money and performance is within 4FPS usually.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

EVGA already has a super clocked edition out. its $80 less and free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!