Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7-2670QM Overheating

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2013 1:22:53 AM

Hello All,

I am new to this forum in hope that I can find an answer to my overheating problem. I currently own a Xplorer X6-9200 from Cyberpower (custom made laptops and pc's). Overall I am satisfied with my choice vs price, however I am experiencing extremely high CPU temps (I am talking 98c on max load). So far I have tried changing my power settings in Windows 7 to keep the maximum CPU usage at 98% on battery and plugged in (to keep the turbo boost from kicking in). I also have turned on vsync in most games above 60fps to keep the CPU from working more than it needs. I have a laptop cooling mat that doesn't do too much in cooling. My ideal temperature would be around 80c-85c max load. In graphic intense games such as CS:GO, my CPU cores can reach 98c with is only 2 degrees away from the Tjmax :pfff:  . What else can I do to prevent my CPU from melting?

My Laptop Specs:
A15HC Gaming Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Mobile Processor 2.20 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.10 GHz
Intel HM65 Chipset Mainboard
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB PCIe Video
500GB 5400RPM SATA300 Hard Drive
Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I want to attempt to apply some thermal paste to the CPU in some hope it will help. Except, I'm unsure of which one is the CPU :lol: 
If someone could take a look at this photo and maybe be able to tell me which one is the CPU, before I dismantle everything.
http://i46.tinypic.com/14k8iah.jpg

Thanks
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2013 1:30:44 AM

Those kind of temps are really common in laptops. My friend had a i5 and it was running 90c all of the time without problems. If your temps keep going higher and higher, i recommend you to send the laptop back at the company for a replacement one. Don't try to fix it yourself if it's still under warranty.

- The Brownie
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2013 1:40:04 AM

Yea send it back to the company. Laptops are hard to work with because all the parts are squeezed in there. One wrong move and you laptop might not function again. If you never messed with laptops before, pay a local repair shop to reapply the thermal paste and clean out the dust.

The cpu is probably the one with the X clamp btw. Its the bigger one.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2013 1:48:42 AM

Azn Cracker said:
Yea send it back to the company. Laptops are hard to work with because all the parts are squeezed in there. One wrong move and you laptop might not function again. If you never messed with laptops before, pay a local repair shop to reapply the thermal paste and clean out the dust.

The cpu is probably the one with the X clamp btw. Its the bigger one.

+1 For the repair shop if it's not under warranty. It's better than doing it by yourself.

- The Brownie
m
l
January 30, 2013 1:56:26 AM

I believe it is out of warranty unfortunately, plus they are out in California and I'm in New York. Do you have any idea of what a repair shop may charge for reapplying paste and cleaning dust?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2013 2:04:29 AM

Lakeside92 said:
I believe it is out of warranty unfortunately, plus they are out in California and I'm in New York. Do you have any idea of what a repair shop may charge for reapplying paste and cleaning dust?

20$ MAX except if he is overpricing everything. Cleaning dust is pretty easy and applying paste too. If they are asking 50$ to do it, go buy some paste and a can of anti-dust spray (don't remember the name). You can look at some videos on youtube to help you out with the harder parts.

- The Brownie
m
l
!