Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Switching Cases on an HP P677a and Which GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2012 3:28:11 AM

:bounce:  I can't wait to get my new GPU but I'm kind of stuck...
I really want an ati 6770 because it's super cheap now, but it won't fit in my case, I've got an HP Pavillion p6775a
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en...)

I want to get a new case but I need to know what I can still keep from my machine. See my HP comes with a card reader, I just want to know if I can install that reader on another case so I can grab a 6770 with PSU and a case. Or should I keep my case and just get 7750 with better PSU? The 7750 is the highest performing card that can fit in my HP case and that 6770 has the best deal if I got a new case, I'm just not sure how switching the parts will go...

Please help me...

Best solution

a c 191 U Graphics card
a b α HP
July 28, 2012 5:01:50 AM

I dont see why it wouldnt fit.

If anything you would need a new power supply in your computer to go with that 6770. If you get the 6770, you are going to need a new power supply, which will result in more money.

The 7750 would not require a power supply upgrade and would also fit.

Both should fit, but the 6770 should fit. I fit a 5770 (same card) in my cousin's Pavilion thats like yours.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 5:31:26 AM

The only thing that might give you a problem would be the 15 in 1 card reader. The one that is shown on the webpage looks like it uses a standard 3 1/2" front panel drive slot so oit should fit in any case that has one.

However, as Deemo13 already said, a Radeon HD 6770 should be able to fit in your case without any trouble. You will likely need a new power supply because the one you have won't have the necessary PCIe power connectors for the 6770. Here is one that should work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... You should be able to find one that is similar in the UK.
Score
Related resources
July 28, 2012 11:02:22 AM

Best answer selected by abg123rocks.
Score
July 28, 2012 11:06:05 AM

Deemo13 said:
I dont see why it wouldnt fit.

If anything you would need a new power supply in your computer to go with that 6770. If you get the 6770, you are going to need a new power supply, which will result in more money.

The 7750 would not require a power supply upgrade and would also fit.

Both should fit, but the 6770 should fit. I fit a 5770 (same card) in my cousin's Pavilion thats like yours.

Thanks for the info, I knew that I needed a new PSU, I just thought that was too obvious too mention. But then again this is a very open form... lol. I remember trying to fit a 6770 card in my case before and it wouldn't have enough space because the hard drive was in the way. I don't think the card would fit unless I moved my hard drive down a slot? Did the guy's computer that you installed the 5770 on have it's hard drive directly in front of the card or was it in a lowers slot? My pci-e goes straight through to my hdd bay for me :??: 
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b α HP
July 28, 2012 7:00:18 PM

I'm trying to find what the inside of your computer looks like.

On my cousin's, the HDD was in a tray near the front of the case towards the bottom, clear of whatever card I would put in there.
Score
July 29, 2012 8:02:12 AM

Here's my computer, I've got this silver thing near the top right of my PCI-E slot, it's a little higher than the slot itself, can you tell me if a graphics card like the GTX 550 Ti would go over it or would collide with it??
I really need to know

MY COMPUTER PIC 1
https://drag2up.appspot.com/ujuU
MY COMPUTER PIC 2
https://drag2up.appspot.com/jZNi

:(  PLEASE HELP ME! I think the thing in the way is called the Northbridge
Score
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b α HP
July 29, 2012 8:10:35 AM

^ I think I answered your thread. It should clear.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 9:46:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!