Closed Solved

Help with Bottle-necking

Ok, so I'm building my PC and want to know what my CPU needs to be at to prevent bottle necking with my GTX 560ti 2GB card. I currently have a Phenom II x4 945 Oc'd to 3.45GHz but I can still definetely push it more than that. Is that speed fine?
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help bottle necking
  1. a 560ti shouldnt bottleneck a x4 945. I used to have a HD6850 with a 1055t (performnce simular to 945) and no bottleneck... until my 680 came along. You should be good before a 6970 for multiplayer games at least which cause the most problems
  2. Best answer
    You should be perfectly fine with your current CPU and GPU configuration.

My Phenom II X4 955 at stock speeds (3.2Ghz) didn't bottleneck my GTX 560 Ti at all :)
  3. Thanks for the response. What would you GPU would you recommend if I updated my processor to an Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd to 4.0GHz. I plan to buy this processor later. I was thinking of just doing SLI with the 560ti but I was also thinking of moving up to the 680 or 690.
  4. Best answer selected by skateabuga.
  5. skateabuga said:
    Thanks for the response. What would you GPU would you recommend if I updated my processor to an Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz OC'd to 4.0GHz. I plan to buy this processor later. I was thinking of just doing SLI with the 560ti but I was also thinking of moving up to the 680 or 690.

Since you already have a GTX560 Ti, you could always SLI :) However, just make sure your PSU has enough juice.

Though if you have the money to invest in a 680 or 690, I would highly recommend the GTX670 as it's the best bang for your buck at the $400 price range :)
  6. mocchan said:
    Since you already have a GTX560 Ti, you could always SLI :) However, just make sure your PSU has enough juice.

Though if you have the money to invest in a 680 or 690, I would highly recommend the GTX670 as it's the best bang for your buck at the $400 price range :)

Which do you think would be a better investment? My PSU isn't that great. It's a Tier 3 Rosewill Xtreme 750watt
  7. skateabuga said:
    Which do you think would be a better investment? My PSU isn't that great. It's a Tier 3 Rosewill Xtreme 750watt

Your PSU isn't too bad by any stretch. However, I believe the GTX670 will be a much better investment.

I prefer one powerful card rather than two lower tier cards in SLI/CF. I personally haven't had good experiences with multi-GPU configurations :lol:
  8. Lol thanks for the help, and one last question. I need to make a choice soon about liquid cooling vs. better air cooling. I can't really seem to find a good CPU heatsink, and I want to continue OC'ing, so I'm thinking about liquid cooling. What do you think would be best?
  9. skateabuga said:
    Lol thanks for the help, and one last question. I need to make a choice soon about liquid cooling vs. better air cooling. I can't really seem to find a good CPU heatsink, and I want to continue OC'ing, so I'm thinking about liquid cooling. What do you think would be best?

Personally I prefer the Noctua NH-D14.

However, something like an H80 or H100 will do just fine if you would really like a liquid CPU cooler. Just make sure your case can support any of these coolers before you make your purchase :)
  10. mocchan said:
    Personally I prefer the Noctua NH-D14.

However, something like an H80 or H100 will do just fine if you would really like a liquid CPU cooler. Just make sure your case can support any of these coolers before you make your purchase :)

Thanks for the help! And on that Noctua NH-D14, can you interchange the fans for another kind?
  11. skateabuga said:
    Thanks for the help! And on that Noctua NH-D14, can you interchange the fans for another kind?

Yes you can :) However, the ones that come with the D14 are very high quality to begin with, so I wouldn't really recommend it.

If the colors are bothering you, I would recommend something like the Thermalright Silver Arrow :)
  12. mocchan said:
    Yes you can :) However, the ones that come with the D14 are very high quality to begin with, so I wouldn't really recommend it.

If the colors are bothering you, I would recommend something like the Thermalright Silver Arrow :)

Hey would a this GTX 670 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423 be bottlenecked, and if so, how much better would I need my processor to be? I also only have PCI2.0
  13. skateabuga said:
    Hey would a this GTX 670 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423 be bottlenecked, and if so, how much better would I need my processor to be? I also only have PCI2.0

With your current CPU, you will see a slight bottleneck.

PCI-E 2.0 or PCI-E 3.0 will not be an issue unless you are planning to do a 3 or 4 way SLI in the future :) if you're going to run a single or dual card configuration, PCI-E 2.0 will still suffice.
  14. How about If I brought the OC up to 3.8 or 4.0 later?
  15. skateabuga said:
    How about If I brought the OC up to 3.8 or 4.0 later?

You will still see a slight bottleneck with your CPU, however it won't be a major bottleneck making your games unplayable, so I don't think you should be worried.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

The X4 980 at stock is roughly equivalent to your CPU overclocked to 3.7/3.8Ghz. I know that the i3 21xx CPU's won't bottleneck a GTX670 too much, so you should be fine :)
  16. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Graphics Product