Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$400-450 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 16, 2012 2:40:55 AM

Hello,

Approximate Purchase Date: Before November
Budget Range: lower than $450, with or without rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, media streaming, photoshop

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any suggestions from you all? I have heard good things about Newegg, TigerDirect, and NCIX. Also have a Fry's and a MicroCenter nearby

Country: United States of America

Parts Preferences: none...

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This PC is kind of a console replacement. Its gonna be running games like BF3 multiplayer, SC2 Multiplayer, Arkham City, SF4, and most current gen games. I would also want to use this as an HTPC, though size and noise really doesn't matter to me much.

I currently have this as an idea from a build, based on hearsay. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hneD
The 7770 was chosen because of its energy efficiency and relative new-newess... im open to change that, along with other parts.
I have also heard bad things about the older AMDs for being very hot. Since I'm probably not going to overclock, should this be a problem?
For gaming, I am most likely going to turn down my resolution settings to around 720p...
Light Video Editing and Photoshop, btw.
Also, I will be willing to pay a bit more for a Wireless Adapter, if you have any recommendations.
Thank You!

More about : 400 450 gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
September 16, 2012 11:08:13 AM

What city are you in? need to look at the local microcenter for CPU deals.


if you are going to play BF3 Mulitiplayer (MP) you will want a quad core, Dual cores get saturated on the large maps when firefights start and you loose half you frame rate :( 

$450 is not a big budget, at least you have the OS already. you might need to go the AMD route (FX4100 or x4 965BE) to get a quad core and stay in budget.

the HD 7770 is a good card in your budget range.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 16, 2012 12:26:25 PM

Microcenter:
ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 770 AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/388180/970DE3-U3S3_7...
$29.99 (special combo with the FX4100)

AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6GHz Quad-Core Socket
http://www.microcenter.com/product/376784/FX_4100_Black...
$89.99

Samsung 22X DVDRW Burner with Dual Layer Support
http://www.microcenter.com/product/382892/22X_DVD%C2%B1...
$17.99
-------
$137.97 + $11.38 Tax = $149.35

NCIX
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65701&vpn=ST1000DM003&...
$69.99

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W (deal expires 9/17)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65317&vpn=PPCMK3S400&m...
59.99 + $20 MIR
-------
$129.98 Free shipping

NEWEGG
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate
$49.99

MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$124.99

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$19.99
------
$194.97 + $6.77 shipping = $201.74

$480.33 +$45 MIR

I would suggest bumping the memory to 2x4 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 1:40:35 AM

jerreddredd said:
What city are you in? need to look at the local microcenter for CPU deals.


if you are going to play BF3 Mulitiplayer (MP) you will want a quad core, Dual cores get saturated on the large maps when firefights start and you loose half you frame rate :( 



Haha, that's what I was really worried about. I was about to go Pentium G860, based on benchmark scores... 400-450 is a really tough budget....
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 1:48:14 AM
September 17, 2012 2:01:42 AM

The G860 was actually one of the ones that I was going to go with before I found out about BF3 multiplayer...
Would a Core i3 be worth it for a greater price? just curious
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 17, 2012 5:26:00 AM

lucidrainbow said:
The G860 was actually one of the ones that I was going to go with before I found out about BF3 multiplayer...
Would a Core i3 be worth it for a greater price? just curious


it would only be slightly better as it still has only 2 cores.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 17, 2012 6:53:09 PM

lucidrainbow said:
Hello,

Approximate Purchase Date: Before November
Budget Range: lower than $450, with or without rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, media streaming, photoshop

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any suggestions from you all? I have heard good things about Newegg, TigerDirect, and NCIX. Also have a Fry's and a MicroCenter nearby

Country: United States of America

Parts Preferences: none...

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This PC is kind of a console replacement. Its gonna be running games like BF3 multiplayer, SC2 Multiplayer, Arkham City, SF4, and most current gen games. I would also want to use this as an HTPC, though size and noise really doesn't matter to me much.

I currently have this as an idea from a build, based on hearsay. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hneD
The 7770 was chosen because of its energy efficiency and relative new-newess... im open to change that, along with other parts.
I have also heard bad things about the older AMDs for being very hot. Since I'm probably not going to overclock, should this be a problem?
For gaming, I am most likely going to turn down my resolution settings to around 720p...
Light Video Editing and Photoshop, btw.
Also, I will be willing to pay a bit more for a Wireless Adapter, if you have any recommendations.
Thank You!


Well how about this build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hKAx
This is within your $450 max and honestly you could max the $450 limit with a better cpu cooler than stock and OC it.
Share
September 18, 2012 6:41:51 PM

It seems like 8GB and quad core is the way to go.. Thank you all so much :D 
m
0
l
September 18, 2012 6:41:52 PM

So, ill stick with a Phenom II X4 955, and I'll up my budget to get a better graphics card.
m
0
l
September 18, 2012 6:48:46 PM

Best answer selected by lucidrainbow.
m
0
l
!