What's better, two cards in CF, or one higher-end card?

Just out of curiosity, what would run better/fast/higher settings/more FPS, two of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150599

or one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

Only one monitor. No eyefinity.
11 answers Last reply
More about what better cards higher card
  1. The 7870 for sure.
  2. Well the two 7770's would be faster but the 7870 is a better option since it has an upgrade path (CF) unlike the 7770's because you've already crossfired them
  3. I'm not even sure the 7770s would be faster and if it is, not by much. Also you won't have to deal with xfire driver issues, extra heat/noise.

You could save a few and get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161410 The his iceq x cooler is one of the best cooling and noise wise.
  4. The 7870 would be the better choice imo. Less power and heat and less issues as well as more compatability.
  5. If a game does not support crossfire. You are ****. You get what I mean =P
  6. As the others said.......
    If X-F (or SLI) does not significantly improve enough of your current gameplay over any single-card equivalent - for the same purchase price! - then go for the single card with all it's power/expansion/etc advantages.
    As fastreaction said - not all games (near future included) scale well (i.e. gameplay improves) with multiple cards.
  7. It's generally not the best idea to CF/SLI low end cards as you will be yearning for more in the future. Also lower end cards tend to suffer from micro-stuttering more frequently then higher end GPU's. With the options you presented us, I would suggest the single more powerful card as you can add another for even more graphics punch in the future.
  8. Always go single-card if possible.

Why?
    -Lower power consumption
    -Easier to upgrade (it's hard to sell 2 old low-end cards, and if you absolutely want to you can add another card in the future, since you already haven't used CF/SLI)
    -Less problems
    -Not all games utilize CF/SLI 100%
    -You can get a lower-W PSU -> saves you $
    -Less stuttering with single-card
    and so on

Go single card :)
  9. The HD 7870 is better by FAR.But since you've got 300$ to spend why dont you just buy a HD 7950?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667
  10. nafoni said:
    Always go single-card if possible.

Why?
    -Lower power consumption
    -Easier to upgrade (it's hard to sell 2 old low-end cards, and if you absolutely want to you can add another card in the future, since you already haven't used CF/SLI)
    -Less problems
    and so on

+1000
    I have nothing to add, this answer covers what I was going to say.
  11. nafoni said:

Why?
    -Lower power consumption
    -Less problems
    and so on

As Urban said, this covers it. Never a good idea to crossfire low end cards.

/thread
  12. nafoni said:

Why?
    -Lower power consumption
    -Less problems
    and so on

Kinda sums up why single card is better than dual cards completely.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors FPS Graphics Product