Lost HD Capacity??

Amonte

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
I had some crazy virus before, and now have formatted my drive. It used to be a Maxtor 60gig drive. Now after I Fdisk it, there is a small 8mb partition (I guess for DOS or something?) and the other is 56.6 gigs. What happened to the rest of it?

If there are major errors on the drive, will fdisk take out those clusters for good, thus I have lost like 3 gigs in bad clusters or something? (Just trying to explain this..)

If that is indeed the cause, is it under warranty so that I can get a new one with the full 60gig capacity again?

:tongue: <font color=red>"Never pick a fight with an ugly person .. they have nothing to lose" </font color=red> :tongue:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Unfortunately you aren't going to see the full capacity of 60GB. You will see near it but I would think it would be more like 58GB not 56GB. Fdisk defines a Mega-Byte as 1,048,576bytes = 1Mega-Byte and the hard drive mfg. defines it as 1,000,000bytes = 1Mega-Byte. If you do that math it should come to arround 57.2GB w/ the fdisk definition. If you do it the way that the hdd mfg. does it then it comes to 60GB.

What I would do is get the Maxblast software and when you get to the language screen select Powermax instead of English. Once you start that program you will get a license agreement, then handling precautions, and then it will list the drives that it detects and color code them to the right color for Maxtor and Non-Maxtor drives. Once it does that you will select the drive you want to test. You will select the Maxtor drive and then goto 'Write Disk Pack (Low Level Format)'. That particular test will take awhile but it writes each sector with a zero and clears the MBR and wipes anything off the drive that could be a potential problem.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>