Asus eah6850 dual monitors with dual dvi to vga.

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello guys, I have a few questions regarding dual monitor setup for my ASUS 6850. As most of you guys know that card have 2 x dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 dp.

I've been trying to figure out how to make it work for dual monitors setup with 2 x dvi2vga converter.

Question is
1) Is it possible? - because I've tried but the second port(lower port/dvi-d) can't detect my monitors either in dual or single monitor.(I hope that my card doesn't have bad port.)

I've read from ocn, [h] and also here, that this card can do dvi/dvi for dual setup or even dvi/dvi/dp for eyefinity.

2) Should I try to get another adapter for dvi-d to vga for the second port to make it work?

My main adapter that comes with 6850
2012-07-28%2017.16.50.jpg

the second adapter from my old graphic card (asus eah2600xt)
2012-07-28%2017.17.11.jpg

btw, my monitors are 2 x LG Flatron W2252S.

thanks.

Solution
It does not seem so. If you look at the back plate of the card, Asus actually only lists VGA/DVI on the one port.

Its not that DVI-D ports can never have VGA pass though, but in that case(and maybe more and more with new cards), you just do not have it.

IMO your best bet is still going to be the DP to VGA. but for the third screen, you will need to get your hands on a DVI->VGA or HDMI->VGA ACTIVE adapter(you will see many passive adapters, but they do not work because for a passive adapter, the card has to have VGA built into the DVI port it self. You only have 1 port with that).

EDIT.

On the LG site, your screen seems to be able to use DVI-D.

Can you not just use DVI-D Single link(At your resolution you do NOT need dual link)...

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks for the link.

"DVI-D (digital only, single-link or dual-link)" So, dual monitor with using 2 dvi with this card is not gonna work? I know I can use the displayport for the 2nd monitor, but come to think of it, how is it possible if I wanted to try eyefinity setup. Using dvi,hdmi,dp ?

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
So I need to get an active dvi-vga adapters to be use on the second port(dvi-d) for it to work?

One other question, if I have 2 monitors with dvi connection. I can use them on both ports without using adapters, correct?

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks nukemaster, I was looking at that one yesterday and that what makes me wonder when if (someday) I wanna try to do eyefinity setup using this card. Should I use dvi-vga + active hdmi-vga + active dp-vga?

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Probably. Because I have 2 same monitors right now which I'm trying to make it work for dual-monitor setup. And thank you for the suggestion. So its not possible to dual dvi-vga on this card?

It does not seem so. If you look at the back plate of the card, Asus actually only lists VGA/DVI on the one port.

Its not that DVI-D ports can never have VGA pass though, but in that case(and maybe more and more with new cards), you just do not have it.

IMO your best bet is still going to be the DP to VGA. but for the third screen, you will need to get your hands on a DVI->VGA or HDMI->VGA ACTIVE adapter(you will see many passive adapters, but they do not work because for a passive adapter, the card has to have VGA built into the DVI port it self. You only have 1 port with that).

EDIT.

On the LG site, your screen seems to be able to use DVI-D.

Can you not just use DVI-D Single link(At your resolution you do NOT need dual link) cables from both DVI ports on the card and avoid the adapters all together.

Solution

Which should then solve the problem since they accept DVI-D digital signal.

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Eh! So I can just get dvi-vga cables for this to work? male-vga->male-dvi? is that so?

You screen has DVI does it not. The LG site says VGA and DVI-D

Please look at the back of the screen and see if it has a pull set of holes for pins or just some.

Top is DVI-D Dual Link. Bottom is DVI-D Single Link. Most screens have the holes for a dual link to fit, but maybe you do not. Get me a pic of those connectors on the screen if you can please.
dsc0311en.jpg

braindrain

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks a lot rolli59 and nukemaster. So I guess dp/hdmi-vga active adapters is the best choice for me then or I could just sell this monitors and grab ones with dvi input/output. Less struggle.

I have much more to learn :)

TRENDING THREADS