Closed Solved

Fx 8150 overheating

So about a week and a half ago I did a full clean up of my case and put new paste on the cpu and today my cpu started overheating again.

I'm running stock fan on a amd fx 8150 not overclocked

Case-Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID
GPU-gtx 550 ti
PSU-corsair hx750 750w
cpu-amd fx 8150(stock everything)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8150 overheating
  1. Did you clean off the old thermal paste?

The stock heatsinks are know to be very poor. A coolermaster hyper 212 evo would sort you for little money.

What makes you think it's overheating anyway?
  2. darth pravus said:
    Did you clean off the old thermal paste?

The stock heatsinks are know to be very poor. A coolermaster hyper 212 evo would sort you for little money.

I did clean the old paste and put as5 on it, I don't have holes for screws on my mobo so I don't know how I'd install a hyper 212
  3. darth pravus said:
    Did you clean off the old thermal paste?

Also the reason I know its overheating is because I'm using core temp to monitor my temps and while under load I'm getting to 75
  4. 75 is still safe. If you don't have any mounting holes then how is your heatsink held on currently?
  5. darth pravus said:
    75 is still safe. If you don't have any mounting holes then how is your heatsink held on currently?

It's being help by two clips one on each side
  6. What motherboard do you have?
  7. No mounting holes is a bit unusual, I just assumed all modern AMD boards had them. There are a few coolers though that will clip onto the standard retention clips though so might be worth digging around on some multi cooler reviews and a reasonable cooler doesn't have to cost much. The Evo is often suggested as it offers pretty good bang for buck.

Akasa do a few and I imagine cooler master do, there will probably be some better options. Frostytech is a good site for cooler tests.

I've only built one 8150 system and the stock cooler whilst looking the part only just seems to cope. As for the noise...
  8. darth pravus said:
    What motherboard do you have?

I have the asus m5a97 mobo
  9. Seems like that board does have mounting holes.
  10. darth pravus said:
    Seems like that board does have mounting holes.

That's odd I wonder why mine doesn't?
  11. Best answer
    Maybe you need to take out the screws currently in the holes.
  12. darth pravus said:
    Maybe you need to take out the screws currently in the holes.

13. Best answer selected by Shimundo.
  14. There is a decent youtube vid for installing the Evo and it looks like you just unscrew the stock brackets. It is a popular choice so I'm sure someone will chime in.
  15. Glad it's sorted now ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cases AMD