Best NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti driver as of now?

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Hey, recently, I had a problem with a driver for my graphics card (read title) where the screen would turn pink and I would be forced to shutdown. So then I updated to 301.24. Suddenly, my frames dropped horribly in games. Anyone have any suggestions on best driver? If it matters, I'll be mostly playing Battlefield 3, Minecraft, TF2, Killing floor and maybe Black ops 2 when it comes out.

Other specs:

Intel i5 3.33ghz processor
8gb ddr3 memory (RAM)
Windows 7 home premium, 64bit.
Graphics card is title, which has 1gb memory (But for some reason every test I take says 4gb, anyone know why? Thanks.)

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
First use Driver Sweeper to uninstall the GPU driver, then reboot, then install the latest driver again. You can also try using older drivers or Beta drivers too.

Sometimes when you update the drivers without uninstalling the old drivers first, they leave bits that could cause conflicts with the newer drivers.

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Huh, downgraded to 285.62 because the beta drivers wouldn't function properly, running a lot smoother now, but still not as good as it was. I'm sure I swept left over drivers correctly etc... Anyway, I'm getting ~55-60 frames ingame, so all good. Hopefully NVIDIA will fix their beta drivers soon though; what a disgrace...

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

I have only tried the most recent beta driver. As for the clocking, I'm not entirely sure (I'm quite ignorant when it comes to computer parts)

Maybe these could help?

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/07/28/7z0.png
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/07/28/fx8.png

Thanks

thanks for the info. the latest WHQL driver (301.24) have some known issue to it and the fix has been rolled out in the beta driver. what is your problem with the latest beta driver? i've also look around about the pink screen issue and they some say driver version 295.73 does not have the issue. some other doing clean windows installation and the problem no longer exist even with more recent driver.

personally i'm regularly updates my driver but so far i never have those pink screen problem.

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks for your help again. Believe it or not, I actually have done a clean windows re-installation, for another reason, which didn't solve any GPU problems. I may also update to 295.73...when updating to a newer driver, do you still need to sweep? Thanks

some people just install over the previous driver but more recent driver package do offer clean driver install option. personally i like to perform clean installation. but if you prefer to use driver sweeper instead then its up to you.

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
(clean) Updated to 295.73, seems like FPS is slightly better in some games. Thanks. I hope the beta drivers get fixed soon.

good for you. in the 290 driver branch family those were the last WHQL i ever use and they never gave me problem. never use the 296.10 since i heard it was problematic by some others but i've never personally tried it. the very reason i'm jumping into the 300 driver family was because nvidia adds FXAA support via the control panel and i know some others were interested with adaptive v-sync.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

the 300's driver version is a big step up from the previous 200's...
imo, for all GT,GTX 4xx and GT,GTX 5xx...

especially with my new GTX 670 that needs new features. :sol:

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Huh. There must be some incompatibility issues with my graphics card and the latest driver, because the fps drops through the floor with it. So back to
295.73...I'm still not getting as much frames as I did before, but meh, guess I'll have to wait.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

hmm, my friend who has an MSI GTX 550 Ti OC, he updated it to 301.42 driver,
and it worked quite well with it...

Bormear

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Well I definitely installed everything correctly (and cleanly), so I don't know :L Any more help appreciated