Sign in with
Your question

Is a 600w PSU enough

Last response: in Components
January 30, 2013 10:03:28 AM

I'm currently purchasing & planning to build a fairly budget gaming PC games such as Far Cry 2 & S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat being the newest games I play.

I'm buying a 2500k i5 that I plan to overclock slightely up to around 3.6/3.8 just for a slight boost to browsing and gaming.
EVGA 550ti GPU
either 8 or 16gb of RAM (corsair vengence low profile)
A large Nohctua NH d14 processor cooler
Fan controller
5 fans
2 Hardrives
perhaps an ssd
blu ray drive and a standard dvd drive
ASUS P8z77 - V LX motherboard.

I know that most i5 prebuilt computers come with
a 400w, and a GTX550ti is a reccomended 400w although its tdp is around 160 I believe. but Is a 600w enough to run all that stably? and underload just in case I do pick up a more modern game (cyberpunk looks cool, and I know Ill need a more powerful graphics card to run it)

More about : 600w psu

January 30, 2013 10:08:57 AM

Oh and its a Corsair builder series 600W just in case you wanted to know.
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 10:24:43 AM

600W is more than enough but i would get a modular PSu for better airflow and cable management.

Any quality PSU for Seasonic, Corsair or Antec would be great.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 10:31:28 AM

Ah thats no worry, I've a mountain of cable ties, a Full tower case and Ill try to use as many of the leads as I can.
January 30, 2013 10:35:45 AM

How backwards compatible are these new PSUs?
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 10:50:51 AM

What do you mean? tell me your budget and your website preference.
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 11:03:49 AM

Brynadinaling said:
Ah thats no worry, I've a mountain of cable ties, a Full tower case and Ill try to use as many of the leads as I can.

you will be fine especially since you plan to use three HDD, you will end up using most of the cables anyways. Ive built plenty of PCs using both modular and non and find little difference between the two (at best on a minimal hardware PC i may save one to two cables)

most motherboards now use a 24 pin mobo connector and a 4 pin or 8 pin CPU power connector. they have used that set up for some time although older mobos used 20 pin power connectors.

some older hardware use molex power connectors while newer hardware uses SATA. most modern graphics card use a 6 pin or 8 pin power connector.

your corsair will be able to handle any of those set ups.
!