Sign in with
Your question

XP Activation?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 16, 2002 11:57:13 AM

Ive heard that XP has something that is constantly checking your system for new hardware, and if it thinks you have too much new hardware, it will have you go to the Microsoft site for a new activation number or something like that. My question is, first of all is this true, and if it is true, what do you do if you dont plan on having an internet connection?

More about : activation

January 16, 2002 12:15:49 PM

standard xp versions will check for MAJOR hardware changes, i.e. new motherboard, basically if xp thinks you have put it onto another pc, it will ask you to reactivate, putting a new vid card/sound card in will cause no problems with activation, if you dont have/want a net connection, activation can be done by phone.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
January 16, 2002 11:22:26 PM

If you plan to buy a copy of Windows XP or you already have it, there's a patch that you can download off the internet which will reset the activation to 14 days everytime you logon and it will also hide the activation balloon in the taskbar. I believe the patch can be downloaded from www.megagames.com or search for it, it should be called reset.exe. I have a burnt copy of Windows XP Professional from a friend and this patch came with it.
Related resources
January 17, 2002 2:16:16 AM

I wouldnt go around spouting out warez sites and telling people how you patched your illegal copy of windows. generally not the brightest idea. little tip to save you a lot of trouble.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.
January 17, 2002 9:53:36 AM

"save you a lot of trouble"

More like 'save you a lot of pain' or 'save you a lot of Ca$h'...
!