Computer doesn't boot. Only mobo lights

johnkerry

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
***. Just spent $1900.00 and I can't get my computer to boot up at all. The motherboard lights up, but when I try to hit the power button on the mobo nothing happens. I also tried the power button. The only thing that I notices that that the south bridge was warming up. I did not understand why. Nothing else was happening.

============
MY QUESTIONS
============

Where did I go wrong? Or what should I return first? Do you know if I can return the cpu and the mobo at the same time? Lastly how can I test the PSU?

==========
SPECS
==========
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
and more...

=========
What I possibly did wrong, but do not think so
=========
The only messing around I did was when installing the headsink I added to much thermal paste. I immediately noticed and had to remove the thermal paste. I had to remove the cpu to properly clean it. I never tried to turn it on.

Please HELP!!!! this sucks!!!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/how-to-bench-test-troubleshoot-your-system-171424.html

Solution
Ok i could be wrong about this but i built a gaming rig for a friend of mine. While ago with the specs being
I5 3570k
Evga z68 micro sli
8gb ddr3 ram
500gb hdd
Gtx550ti

We had the same form of problem but we hit the power button the fans just kicked and stopped again we sat there for two hours trying to figure out what was happening.
In the end we troule shooted everything right up till we got down to the cpu and found it needed a bios update to work with the 3rd gen i5 but the motherboard didnt have the update yet.
I just looked at the asus website and it says on the cou support list that it supports your i7 3770k just check for a bios update for your motherboard and see if it needs a bios update to support your processor, if not im...

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Ok i could be wrong about this but i built a gaming rig for a friend of mine. While ago with the specs being
I5 3570k
Evga z68 micro sli
8gb ddr3 ram
500gb hdd
Gtx550ti

We had the same form of problem but we hit the power button the fans just kicked and stopped again we sat there for two hours trying to figure out what was happening.
In the end we troule shooted everything right up till we got down to the cpu and found it needed a bios update to work with the 3rd gen i5 but the motherboard didnt have the update yet.
I just looked at the asus website and it says on the cou support list that it supports your i7 3770k just check for a bios update for your motherboard and see if it needs a bios update to support your processor, if not im stumped

Solution

johnkerry

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

I can't even get the bios up. Only lights on the mobo turn on and that is all.

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
We inserted my machines sandy bridge cpu into the machine and got it to boot woth the older processor but as i can see it isnt as simple for you to do that, if you cant get it to boot maybe you should take it down to the local pc store and see if they can sort it out and get it to at least post for you