Hauppauge DCR-2650 or HVR-2250?

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I am looking at getting either the Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FPT38A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) or the Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E2T6Y4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01).

Currently I favor the 2650 external tuner. However, I have Dish Network so I couldn't get an M card for it. Would I still be able to use it as a DVR if I connected it to my Dish Network box? I would have the cable coming from the satellite plugged into the cable in on the Dish Network receiver. Then I would have the coaxial out cable from the satellite plugged into the cable in port on the 2650. The 2650 would then be connected to the computer by USB.

If that doesn't work I will get the 2250. If it does work, then I'm not sure which I should get. I've read a lot about the 2650 having some channels with copy protection limiting recordings to be viewed only on the computer used to make the recording. Is there anyway around this? Also, does the 2250 have these same copy protection limitations?

Thank You.

Solution
The Colossus isn't a TV Tuner card, but a capture card, which is really all you're going to need since you still have to use the satellite set top box. I don't know of any other HD Capture card on the market that is better than the Colossus.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The WinTV-DCR-2650 will not work with your satellite video source. The WinTV-HVR-2250 may or may not work with the analog output from your Satellite set top box. Even if it does, you will not be able to record channels in HD. The analog (COAX) output of the set top box down-converts the signal to 480i (standard definition).

There are three copy-right tags:
1) Copy-Freely - You are able to record, copy, and view recorded content on any device.
2) Copy-Once - You are only able to record and view content on the device it was recorded on.
3) Copy-Never - You are unable to record this content (usually limited to PPV and special sporting events).

These tags are entirely up to your cable/satellite provider.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend either option and just stay with the DVR available from your satellite provider (or switching to cable).

-Wolf sends

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I heard that the 1414 Collossus definitely works with satellite, but the reviews aren't great. Can you recommend a tuner that works for satellite, like the Collossus, but with better reviews?

It doesn't need to be Hauppauge, price range < $140, but the closer to $100 the better.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The Colossus isn't a TV Tuner card, but a capture card, which is really all you're going to need since you still have to use the satellite set top box. I don't know of any other HD Capture card on the market that is better than the Colossus.

-Wolf sends

Solution