losing older system restore points

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have my system set to automatically restore, but over the past few
weeks I have seen earlier restore points disappear.

How can I set the restore points to keep restoring? What could be
resetting it?

Thanks,

Greg

WinXP Pro SP1+ (not SP2).
7 answers Last reply
More about losing older system restore points
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    By default system restore allocates 12% of your disk drive for restore point
    backups. Once this allocation has been reached older system restore points
    are deleted to make room for new ones. This is perfectly normal. System
    restore points are very large files, so your disk allocation can quickly be
    reached.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org


    "siriusbliss" <junkdrop1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OpEqsEtnFHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >I have my system set to automatically restore, but over the past few weeks
    >I have seen earlier restore points disappear.
    >
    > How can I set the restore points to keep restoring? What could be
    > resetting it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > WinXP Pro SP1+ (not SP2).
    >
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    so is it advisable to delete the older files under the Windows folder
    and/or getting rid of all the various Windows updates that I have going
    back YEARS now?

    Thanks,

    Greg

    *****

    John Barnett MVP wrote:
    > By default system restore allocates 12% of your disk drive for restore point
    > backups. Once this allocation has been reached older system restore points
    > are deleted to make room for new ones. This is perfectly normal. System
    > restore points are very large files, so your disk allocation can quickly be
    > reached.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:15:34 +0100, siriusbliss wrote
    (in article <Os3d5OunFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>):

    > so is it advisable to delete the older files under the Windows folder
    > and/or getting rid of all the various Windows updates that I have going
    > back YEARS now?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > *****

    Nope. In addition to what John has said, restore points are also deleted
    every 90 days. This is a system setting that *cannot* (TTBOMK) be changed.
    Besides, restoring to a year-old point (if such a thing existed) would be
    extremely ill-advised considering all the changes made to the system in that
    time.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi Greg,

    How much disk space is System Restore using to hold restore points?
    Right click on My Computer and select Properties. On the System Restore tab click on the
    drive that Windows is installed on and click Settings.

    On the same System Restore tab, are there any other drives being monitored by System
    Restore?

    Here are some tips on adjusting disk space used and keeping System Restore Healthy.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

    Description of System Restore
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/description.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org

    siriusbliss wrote:
    > so is it advisable to delete the older files under the
    > Windows folder and/or getting rid of all the various
    > Windows updates that I have going back YEARS now?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg
    >
    > *****
    >
    > John Barnett MVP wrote:
    >> By default system restore allocates 12% of your disk
    >> drive for restore point backups. Once this allocation
    >> has been reached older system restore points are deleted
    >> to make room for new ones. This is perfectly normal.
    >> System restore points are very large files, so your disk
    >> allocation can quickly be reached.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I have it cranked up to 4.577MB, which is the maximum setting on my
    system - and I've never changed it.

    I only see the C-drive listed.

    Like I said, this is only a relatively recent occurance with the restore
    points disappearing. I only need to, on rare occasion, go back to an
    earlier setting - the most I think I've done is 3 days.

    Thanks again for all the tips.

    Greg

    ******

    Bert Kinney wrote:
    >
    > Hi Greg,
    >
    > How much disk space is System Restore using to hold restore points?
    > Right click on My Computer and select Properties. On the System Restore tab click on the
    > drive that Windows is installed on and click Settings.
    >
    > On the same System Restore tab, are there any other drives being monitored by System
    > Restore?
    >
    > Here are some tips on adjusting disk space used and keeping System Restore Healthy.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
    >
    > Description of System Restore
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/description.html
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi Evadne,

    Actually the restore point life interval can be adjusted via the registry be editing the
    following
    Value: RPLifeInterval at the following key.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

    There is also script to automate the process on the following page.
    XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srscripts.html

    I would not recommend changing this value, but rather adjust the amount of disk space SR
    uses to hold the restore points. Rolling the system back more than a week or so can cause
    more problems than it fixes.

    Here are my recommendations on adjusting disk space.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html


    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org

    Evadne Cake wrote:
    > Nope. In addition to what John has said, restore points
    > are also deleted every 90 days. This is a system setting
    > that *cannot* (TTBOMK) be changed. Besides, restoring to
    > a year-old point (if such a thing existed) would be
    > extremely ill-advised considering all the changes made to
    > the system in that time.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    thanks Bert. This is a big help.

    Greg

    *****

    Bert Kinney wrote:

    >
    > Hi Evadne,
    >
    > Actually the restore point life interval can be adjusted via the registry be editing the
    > following
    > Value: RPLifeInterval at the following key.
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    >
    > There is also script to automate the process on the following page.
    > XPSystemRestoreLife.vbs
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srscripts.html
    >
    > I would not recommend changing this value, but rather adjust the amount of disk space SR
    > uses to hold the restore points. Rolling the system back more than a week or so can cause
    > more problems than it fixes.
    >
    > Here are my recommendations on adjusting disk space.
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Microsoft Customization System Restore Windows XP