Looking into buying a new graphics card + computer

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about buying a new computer. The computer I have mind is a Packard Bell iMedia I6603 NL, since it seems to be a great deal for a pretty low price.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-2320 @ 3.3 GHz
6GB RAM DDR3
2TB HDD
nVidia GT520

So, what I would like to do is to buy this computer and install a new power supply and a new graphics card. The thing is, the case is very small. The dimensions are 175 x 256 x 352 mm. So I'm worried that I won't be able to install a good graphics card because of its small size.

So my question is: do you guys know a good power supply + graphics card combination for this computer? My budget is about €200 - 250. Also, would you guys recommend this computer?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Seems like a model not usually sold in North America, I can't find any English pages on this thing.

Either way, you can definitely install a discrete video card, measure the internal length dimensions. A 7750 should work well with your current power supply and room. It looks like your computer has a MATX case from the pictures, so you can use full sized cards. The length might be the only restriction. You MAY be able to fit a 7770 in there, depending on the room and power supply.

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

We don't really have a lot of good local PC shops, so I'm trying to find one on the Internet. I found this computer here: http://www.bol.com/nl/p/packard-bell-imedia-i6603-nl-core-i5-2320-3-3-ghz-6gb-ddr3-2tb-hdd-nvidia-gt520-2gb-qwerty/9000000012144762/?promo=desktops_202_ac-desktops-ms-111209_B2__2_9000000012144762#product_specifications

I'm from the Netherlands. Could you tell me why it's a horrible deal?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

From the "Nl" post-fix to the part number, I gathered that it is possible you are in the Netherlands. That machine is not a good deal here in NA unless aggressively discounted.

Pre-built machines are usually less upgradable, and less customizable and often less reliable. I haven't seen Packard Bells here in North America for a long long time, and can't tell you about whether or not the machine is reliable (I can't even examine the insides). But as a general rule, I think it is not a good deal unless you have no other options.

Is online retailers available in NL ? Amazon, Newegg, Scan ?

The case is too small to upgrade a power supply. Which means you're stuck with slow cards.

There's nothing I can offer you at that shop - everything seems to be overpriced. However, how do you feel about building your PC? It's actually very easy, and since you thought about upgrading power supply, you must know how to do it. Let me tell you: building a computer is not harder than that. Take a look at this video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I believe Amazon is. Newegg and Scan aren't, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

Yeah, I helped a friend install a new power supply + graphics card in her computer. Was just a matter of connecting the wires to the right sockets. If building a PC is as easy as that I might consider it. I suppose building a PC myself would be cheaper than getting one from a shop?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you are confident to build, or have friends who are, that seems to be your best option. You can control exactly what goes into your computer.

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I have never done it before though, so I have no idea where to start, haha...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That video link above is a good start. Do you know any computer savvy relatives, friends who might help you out ?

EDIT: Or a LOCAL computer store...

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I know one guy who I think has done something like this before. There are also a couple of computer stores in my town, but I don't really know a lot about them. I guess I'll have to do some research. Thanks.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You are very welcome. Support your local shops.

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I will. I actually just did a bit of research on Google and I found a site which allows you to choose the components you want on your computer and they will build it for you and deliver it to your house: https://www.computersamenstellen.nl/config.php?comp=ints1155

What do you guys think about that?

EDIT: This website might not have the best components out there, but I'm talking about the general idea of such a website.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Those sites are good. I think they build good quality builds most of the time. Probably better than your brand name boxes out there like Dell, HP, etc.

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
OK, but how will I know which parts I should get for my computer? I have no knowledge of what good processors or graphics cards are or any other part of a computer for that matter. Where can I learn about these components?

Here is what you are going to need:

Case
Power supply
Motheboard
CPU
RAM
GPU
Some sort of storage
Some disc-reading drive

In a nutshell thats all you really need.

If you give us a budget I'm sure Sunius or I could put something together (Sunius does a really good job)

Hehe, thanks :D

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
OK, thanks. I'll watch the video and then I'll be back with more questions. :p

EDIT: My budget is around €800 ($985). I'd prefer a budget of around €700 ($860) though. I'm a poor student. :(

Tharantyr

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
OK, so I watched the video. It was very informative. I now have a basic idea of the components I need for a computer. Still I would love to get some advice from you guys on which parts I should get. My budget is around €800 ($985) but I'd prefer a budget of around €700 ($860). I want to be able to play games like Skyrim, Diablo III and Assassin's Creed with a high framerate, preferably on the highest possible settings. Can you guys give me some nice setups?