futureproof101

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello everybody,

I have been doing research for weeks on the gtx 680 cards and have gotten to the point where i dont know which to get

its between

the asus direct cu 2 gtx680 - this ones out of stock

the msi lightning gtx 680

evga superclocked+ gtx 680

and the gigabyte wind force 3 gtx 680

I really do not know which to pick

thanks for your time, any help is appreciated

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I seen the results of acoustics and heat dissipation and the Asus is the best. The Gigabyte with it's 3 fans is not optimize really. They just throw another fan in there and hope it works. The Asus DCII and the MSI TF are better.

futureproof101

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

i hope that the asus is in stock soon. I really wanted one of those from the beginning but havent been able to get it for like 3 weeks now

DeusAres

Distinguished

Yeah, the factory OCed one is currently out of stock on Newegg.

NCIX currently has a deal where you get free shipping. It's not currently in stock, but they say you can order now and they will send it once it becomes available

ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Top 1137MHZ
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71741&vpn=GTX670-DC2T-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS

My two cents worth, just get this one...

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423&Tpk=gigabyte%20gtx%20670

futureproof101

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

ill deff consider that as an option. I am gonna wait till wendsday to see if the asus comes in stock for 670 or 680 otherwise im gonna get a gigabyte one

would get the ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II Top if it possible that is one beast of a card :D

futureproof101

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

that and the 680 version are my number one and two choices...i just dont wanna wait anymore!!!!

I don't like Gigabyte for their cooling, the fans are really ratty once you get to seem them in person and owning a card that used their tech well I am slowly ditching the stock cooler. The fans are very poor quality and yes low noise but not enough airflow through the cooler to keep the whole card cool. The blocks they use add a lot of back pressure so the fans have to work at a higher rpm when the card hits higher temps on top of heat build up.

Second, they didn't use a truly custom design and used really crappy inductors on this card so avoid it unless you are willing to live with the coil squeal and possible short life.

the Asus and MSI cards that are non reference all the way through are much better money for what you spend even if they make a little more noise than you like. It is better knowing what you are buying is going to be working two or three years down the line.

futureproof101

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

thanks for the advice now i just need the asus card to come in stock and ill pick it up right away

DeusAres

Distinguished

This article says otherwise...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-7.html

They say the gigabyte gtx 670s structure was better than the gtx 680's. Idk, I'm not so sure myself. The Asus model isn't currently available. :(

They didn't remove the cooler to show the bare board. I've owned one of their cards and still do that used that type of cooler. Its mostly silent but when the heat builds up and it is time to move that air the fans have to work really hard to push that air through the block. Once the air finally goes through the block it has to pass over the pcb in a rather small space at a right angle. With the vram and other components in the way it bends the air slightly to where it is leaving the card at an odd angle. At that angle it often loops back into the fans especially when the hot exhaust is hitting the mainboard at the pci-e slot is where it is the worst. Some of the heat leaves the case through the vented pci-e bracket and some goes towards the drives at the rear. At the top of the card some of it loops back.

So I decided to remove the stock face plate and fans the placed two high flow rate 80mm fans onto the stock block. It moved more air and got the card below 75c at almost all times but created worsened the heat bubble. So I added more fans and reduced it but made more noise. So the best way is to get something else.

Those tri slot Asus cards should be a lot better as they don't have as much of a problem with back pressure and have better quality fans. The heat bubble will still be there but in a good case that shouldn't be a problem.

futureproof101

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

ive heard that the asus has remarkable cooling but i cant understand why asus cant get their act together and keep them in stock

DeusAres

Distinguished

I see. What would be a good choice if I or the OP wanted to do SLI? You mentioned the Asus cards take up 3 slots.