AMD FX 4100 Quad Core Processor?

brutisoe

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
ok thanks ! thats what i was told . so i wanted to be sure ! this was the only way i could be ! can you help me with a amd setup ? i want to game at ultra settings ! but 6 cores seems be over kill !

Rammy

Honorable
It's kinda both. Bulldozer modules have 2 "integer clusters" each, and they stack them up to make processors, 2 for 4xxx, 3 for 6xxx and 4 for 8xxx series. In that sense, a 4100 has 4 distinct processing cores, as it has 4 physical processing elements within its two modules. Each module however, has shared resources which means that you don't necessarily get the same level of performance as you would from a "true" quad core. It wouldn't really be fair to call it a dual core though either.

Intels Hyperthreading works on each core in turn, to effectively use up any leftover space in each processing cycle. It's a very different system. Even in an i7, you only ever have 4 physical cores but you get 8 "opportunities" per cycle to process.

brutisoe

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

thanks for the info ! i will always come here first from know on !! you guys rock !!!!

brutisoe

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

so what do you think ? 4300 with what board ? i've had alot of luck with gigabyte boards ! but im always willing to listen !

brutisoe

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

ok i will ! do you know what board i should use ? theres so many now ! i want a full atx board , alot more room to work with !

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

This^^

I would say go for my board, unless somebody can suggest a better one maybe? The 970 extreme 3.

Pretty cheap and is solid. Good overclocker too.