No signal to monitor

kantastisk

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi forum! New user here..

tl;dr: No video signal. Things to try? And what is the minimum functionality I need for getting a signal?

I'm supposedly upgrading dad's pc (a project which has evolved into replacing it in parts), and I just can't pin down the reason why I'm not getting a signal to the monitor.

current specs:

board: msi k9a2 platinum
cpu: amd phenom x4
psu: 700W
ram: DDR2 pc2-8500
hdd: 2 ide drives
gpu: Asus GT520

other:

some sata dvd drive
usb bracket
old, PCI wifi modem
hp w2808h 1920x1200 monitor

things I've tried

switching motherboards (which are compatible with the cpu)
switching cpu's (which are compatible with the motherboard)
switching psu's (700w and 400w)
switching gpu's (xfx HD 5850 and Asus GT520)
switching monitors (tried with an old CRT and an old, flat lcd)
moving the gpu between PCI-e ports
switching output for video (gpu has HDMI, DVI and SVGA, tried them all)
staring desperately into the box
grinding teeth

At this point I'm wondering if I'm hooking up something wrong. The board is getting main power, and I've connected the external cpu power. The card requires no external power. When I hit the power button I get lights, fans and I hear the hdd's spin up. Only the monitor says no signal.

Thanks for any help, guys.

it could be a short. you could have forgot to use the mb standoffs or there a screw under the mb or a short. also try the video card in one of the other video card slots..the slot may have gone bad or there a bent pin in the video slot or dirt. also bare bone the system..just ram..power and video card on a box and see if it posts. if there no post then pull the ram or video card if the mb is working it should give you a cmos beep code failure.

kantastisk

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Yes, will do asap.

huh, I didn't pay much attention to that. Guess I assumed that was embedded in the case somehow.

No luck.

okay, so ram, power, gpu and I'm assuming cpu should normally get me a signal? I'll try that. And I'll try pulling ram or gpu and see if I get that beep as well.

this post was just to say I've read your replies and will be back when I can. Thanks.

kantastisk

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
So I took the thing apart completely and paid special attention to not having any potential shorts. Upon first bare bone boot I got a signal and now the whole thing boots just like it should!

I think it most probably was a short of some sort. Anyway, dad's happy and I'm happy. Thanks guys.