Sign in with
Your question

Best thermal compound/fix for Nvidia chip overheating problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2012 5:06:28 PM

Hi,

I know that this question has been answered before and thus, I also made some research before posting however, I am still in doubt which thermal compound/paste will be best for my problem. My problem is that I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop and it overheated resulting in no video (in a nutshell it is the problem of the onboard Nvidia chip). My dilemma on which compound to buy is because even though I will be replacing the thermal pad supplied with the laptop with a copper shim to decrease heat every degree decrease from the compound will count. My problem is whether I should buy either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-4. From the research I made, I found that Arctic Silver 5 is the best compound to use with the copper shim repair. Is this true? However, it has a 200hr curing time and this is the trouble because this means that it will not be 100% effective until this time has passed. Moreover, Arctic Silver 5 is electrically conductive and I am worried that by wear and tear or heat the compound/copper shim may come in contact with the rest of the mobo and cause a short. Finally, should the size of the copper shim be the same as the factory thermal pad or the size of the whole GPU?

I would be very grateful if you would give me suggestions and advice regarding this dilemma and even some advice if I am confronting this situation in the right way or if there are better repairs for this problem.

Many Thanks :) 
a b Î Nvidia
July 28, 2012 10:35:37 PM

The 200 hour cure is no problem. I like it much better over the mx-4 and does improve slightly overtime. Good for retro and good for modern use.

a b Î Nvidia
July 28, 2012 10:39:35 PM

I second that notion. Arctic Silver 5 has served all my needs wonderfully throughout the years.
Related resources
July 28, 2012 10:53:25 PM

artic silver 5 is good. cure time is also no problem, 200h is just for maximum effectiveness should still be good even before it reach it. If you don't apply too much it should not damage the motherboard. Especially since there should be a plastic sheet that blocks most of the motherboard.

The copper should probably make as much contact with the surface of the gpu chip, doesn't need to cover the whole things as contact for heat shouldn't be too much problem.

Most laptops overheat because of the fan system and not enough airflow, Have you looked into the fan as a source of the problem?
July 29, 2012 11:45:03 AM

esrever said:
artic silver 5 is good. cure time is also no problem, 200h is just for maximum effectiveness should still be good even before it reach it. If you don't apply too much it should not damage the motherboard. Especially since there should be a plastic sheet that blocks most of the motherboard.

The copper should probably make as much contact with the surface of the gpu chip, doesn't need to cover the whole things as contact for heat shouldn't be too much problem.

Most laptops overheat because of the fan system and not enough airflow, Have you looked into the fan as a source of the problem?

Hi esrever,

Many thanks for your reply. However, I did not understand which part is the
Quote:
plastic sheet that blocks most of the motherboard
that you are referring too. As you said, the fan was a source of the problem as not enough airflow was present since, the heatsink exhaust was dirty and filled with dust balls. Moreover, this deteriorated the factory thermal pad. Finally , to make things clear you said that
Quote:
Does this mean that it has to be the same size as the factory thermal pad thus, to cover only the Nvidia chip or the size of the whole GPU chip?
July 29, 2012 12:41:26 PM

Dear nforce4max & El Tigre,

I would like to thank you both for your help and advice. I greatly appreciate your interest :)  Hence, I will buy Arctic Silver 5 as all of you suggested as it the best compound for my repair/problem.
July 29, 2012 6:26:14 PM

well In all the laptop Ive opened, there has been a sheet of plastic that shields the motherboard. Might not be present in your system.

the contact should be as big as the thermal pad, but doesn't have to be exact, slightly bigger should be slightly better but it shouldn't cover the whole gpu chip..
!