Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro. I recently installed an external hard drive. Prior
to its installation, starting my computer would lead directly to opening up
my desktop. After installing the external hard drive, Windows XP now stops
at a screen where I have to click on my name in order to continue to boot up.
I'm the only person who uses my computer and my name is the only name
available to click on to continue booting up.

What setting(s) do I have to change so that my computer will again go
directly to my desktop again without first requiring me to select a user name?

Thanks in advance . . . Denise

Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2
Highlight the user you want automatically logged on
Uncheck the box Users must enter a username and password
Click Apply
In the next dialog, enter the password for the account you chose earlier, if any.
Ok your way out

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BF9B118-0B65-4F6A-8AAD-9C67529DD2EE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP Pro. I recently installed an external hard drive. Prior
> to its installation, starting my computer would lead directly to opening up
> my desktop. After installing the external hard drive, Windows XP now stops
> at a screen where I have to click on my name in order to continue to boot up.
> I'm the only person who uses my computer and my name is the only name
> available to click on to continue booting up.
>
> What setting(s) do I have to change so that my computer will again go
> directly to my desktop again without first requiring me to select a user name?
>
> Thanks in advance . . . Denise

Thanks . . . it did the trick :))