Sign in with
Your question

Instant power loss when busy.

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2013 4:49:30 PM

Hello, I recently bought a new processor to speed up my system. It needed 125w of power from my board and my board only supported 65w. My friend told me putting it in wouldn't hurt anything so I tried it. The processor was suppoused to run at 3.4ghz and instead was running at 647mhz. So i reinstalled my old processor and now if i use my computer for small tasks, Netflix, simcity 4, it will just lost power in the middle of it. However if I leave it running with only the core processes running it is fine. I installed a cputemp program and it said on bootup that it was running at 90 degrees C. After I let it sit it goes does to 60 degrees C and stays there. I'm not sure what to do, I've taken it out reapplied thermal paste three times. All three times I cleaned the thermal paste off with alcohol from the heatsink and the CPU..Any ideas? I don't know what to do
January 30, 2013 4:56:21 PM

If it just loses power when running more intensive tasks, it's a clear indication your board isn't providing enough power to the processor. You probably will need a new motherboard to fully support your processor.

What processor are you using? Motherboard? Heat sink fan? It would help if you gave the specs of your computer.
January 30, 2013 5:12:54 PM

I put the original processor back in it, I'm not entirely sure of the specs. But i'll do my best. Processor is AMD Athlon x2 265 (65w) The heatsink and the fan came with it so im not sure. the board is a MCP61 the socket type is am3. The processor I put in it first ( but is not currently in) was a AMD phenom 2 x4 965 (125w). I read somewhere that I could have burned a VRM on my motherboard. Do you think that's possible? Because before I put the phenom in my computer worked fine
January 31, 2013 7:10:17 PM

does your computer work normally after you put the original processor back? what is the power supply that is currently in your computer? Did you buy this computer prebuilt?

Speccy is a good program for telling you your computer specs: http://www.piriform.com/speccy
!