Sign in with
Your question

MS-7778 motherboard CPU Heatsink retention bracket

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2013 4:56:47 PM

I have a Ms-7778 mother board with a FM2 socket This board come in HP Pavilion P7-1297c PC and appears to be fairly new. the screw holes are lined much different that other FM2 boards. I need the retention brackets to mount the CPUheatsink/Fan but can not find them anywhere. Any one know where I can et the right brackets.?
a c 254 à CPUs
a c 329 V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 4:24:42 PM

If this is your board: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...
...it looks like an early OEM design that may use the Intel cooler layout instead. To be honest, that's the first I've ever seen of one. But the mtg holes for the cooler appear to layout like Intel stock coolers do. If so, you only need to measure the hole spacing to be sure which of the coolers styles will work.
January 31, 2013 7:32:57 PM

Yes, that is the board. Do you think I can just use Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive to attach the heatsink to the CPU, I know that I will not be able to separate the CPU from the Heatsink but that is fine. When I need to buy a new CPU I will get a new Heatsink as well. I know this is not the prefered way but is the easiest since I can not fine the correct retention bracket and don't want to hope I get one that fits and works with the Heat sink that came with the AMD A10 5800k CPU. Let me know what you think and if the cooling will be just as good.
Related resources
a c 254 à CPUs
a c 329 V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 7:45:29 PM

Tom_81 said:
Yes, that is the board. Do you think I can just use Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive to attach the heatsink to the CPU, I know that I will not be able to separate the CPU from the Heatsink but that is fine. When I need to buy a new CPU I will get a new Heatsink as well. I know this is not the prefered way but is the easiest since I can not fine the correct retention bracket and don't want to hope I get one that fits and works with the Heat sink that came with the AMD A10 5800k CPU. Let me know what you think and if the cooling will be just as good.

If this is what you are referring to: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhe...
... I suppose it would suffice as a drastic work-around. You realize that you'll never again be able to separate the cooler from CPU, right?
I have no idea what the intention was to put a AMD socket on a board like that. I would suggest buying a retention bracket and drilling holes for it, but I don't think it would fit with the caps sitting that close. What kind of cooler was originally on the PC when you got it?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2014 2:58:08 PM

sorry for reviving this thread, but i am experiencing the same problem...
i have the same mobo and i think that it is a lga 1150 fan mount. The holes are spaced at a 75mm square when i measured.
is that the right size?
!