Video card for new build, help!

zachdoescomputers

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I'm about finished building my new desktop (first ever!). Here is what I've but it so far:

i7-2700k processor w/ Xigmatek Gaia CPU cooler w/ 1 120mm fan
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP memory
Thermaltake 850W Tough Power Grand PSU
256GB SSD (to be bought)

All the parts live in a Corsair 500r White Edition case with 4 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans.

I'm considering water cooling for fun once my next paycheck comes but until then the Gaia will cool the CPU.

I don't plan on playing hardcore video games much but if I did, I'd want excellent performance. I'll most likely being using it for normal day-to-day stuff but if I ever challenged my GPU, I'd want it to blow me away.

I'm looking to make this build as future proof as possible so I'd want a video card that would have the most recent advances, etc. I like the idea of Eyefinity for multiple monitor gaming.

Please let me know if there is anything else that'd help you recommend a video card for me. Also I'll take any recommendations on my set up.

Thanks.

The setup looks good except for one thing I would like to add.

If you havent bought anything yet, I would recommend an i5 instead of the i7. The i7 only really prevails in terms of video editing and programs that use multiple threads. There are close to no games which will utilize the i7.

If you have bought it, its not like it wont work. Its still going to be quick, but I'm just trying to save you some money here.

As for the card, I would recommend gamerkila57's recommendation as the Twin Frozr has very good cooling for the price.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Reviews by customers are generally helpful, but I wouldn't put all my trust in 'em. You'd be better off to look at professional reviews. Customers are generally biased with their reviews, lol. They get what they pay for, so they decide to go leave hate comments on the site simply because they expect gtx 670 performance from a $300 card. :)

DeusAres

Distinguished

+1^

If you can afford to shell out the $400, I'd definitely recommend the gtx 670.

What sets this card apart from other 7870 cards? I see that this has a 4 egg rating and others have 5. I don't mean to simplify something this complex to an egg rating but why this card?

You can't go off of egg ratings. Experts see right through them.

I saw an excellent HD 6870 XFX card one time which had 4 egg ratings because a lot of people could not figure out how to select the combo deal which came with a free game. (Because they did not research what they were picking first) they blamed it on XFX or Newegg for shorting them a free game and docked the card 1 to 2 eggs (or more) unfairly even though it was an excellent product. If it was not for that it would had easily been a 5 egg card for 85-90% of the reviewers.

Other people don't have compatible parts or other things which causes the hardware to malfunction or not work at all and dock eggs for really good products.

Eggs are indicators but don't make your sole purchasing decision off of them.

The MSI Twin Frozr card the other poster selected is one of the best cards out there. And at the price it can't be beat far as value.

If you want to evaluate a card check out reviews from professional websites such as:

Hardware Canucks
AnandTech
HiTechLegion
Motherboards.org

the 580 is about the same performance as the 7870, probably not worth buying as if you want a higher end nvidia card right now, there is really nothing that touches the 670 for its performance and price.

The 7870 is amazing and powerful enough to make almost any game at 1080p right now, niether card will be "future proof" as the concept does not really work in computers. It takes about 2 years for top of the line to be run of the mill.

At the moment from the current generation: Nothing. The GTX660 / 660ti is rumored to be out on August 16th. It most likely will match up with the HD7870. However I would not hesitate buying AMD.