pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi,
just upgraded to a dual 7970 in cfx. Has anyone seen benchmarks for this hardware in crossfire?

I was told that a dual 7970 setup is just as powerful as a 690..

No not true dual 7970 in cfx would half to be overclocked to even be close to the 690 level but don't get me wrong the 7970 is a amazing beast of a card and should violently murder anything you throw at it lol also IMO the 690 is way over priced the GTX 670 and R7950 are best bang for buck right now the 690 & 680 and 7970 are overpriced IMO

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
that makes sense to me to be honest i have not kept up on the latest i will look into more ;)

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
a friend of mine who is up to speed on everything said that having 2 7970's is just a good as having the 690.esp in eyefinity gaming which is what I will be doing. He said both together will perform as good if not better than 690. He also said that AMD's cfx is more refined than Nvidias and that wide screen gaming was done by AMD way before Nvidia. I dont know, thats what he was telling me. I was going to get the 690 but he said I would be doing just as good if not better with 2 7970's overclocked.

Well i did some digging and turns out HardOCP has had some harsh criticism of Crossfire driver support over the past few months:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/17/amd_crossfirex_drivers_opportunity_lost/

They've also written some interesting things about "smoothness" of gaming.
Quote:
SLI smoothness vs. CrossFireX smoothness
We don't know what other descriptive word to use, other than "smoothness" to describe the difference we feel between SLI and CrossFireX when we play games. We've expressed this difference in gameplay feeling between SLI and CrossFireX in the past, in other evaluations, and we have to bring it up again because it was very apparent during our testing of 680 SLI versus 7970 CFX.

We can't communicate to you "smoothness" in raw framerates and graphs. Smoothness, frame transition, and game responsiveness is the experience that is provided to you as you play. Perhaps it has more to do with "frametime" than it does with "framerate." To us it seems like SLI is "more playable" at lower framerates than CrossFireX is. For example, where we might find a game playable at 40 FPS average with SLI, when we test CrossFireX we find that 40 FPS doesn't feel as smooth and we have to target a higher average framerate, maybe 50 FPS, maybe 60 FPS for CrossFireX to feel like NVIDIA's SLI framerate of 40 FPS. Only real-world hands on gameplay can show you this, although we can communicate it in words to you. Even though this is a very subjective realm of reviewing GPUs, it is one we surely need to discuss with you.

The result of SLI feeling smoother than CrossFireX is that in real-world gameplay, we can get away with a bit lower FPS with SLI, whereas with CFX we have to aim a little higher for it to feel smooth. We do know that SLI performs some kind of driver algorithm to help smooth SLI framerates, and this could be why it feels so much better. Whatever the reason, to us, SLI feels smoother than CrossFireX.

Personally speaking here, when I was playing between GeForce GTX 680 SLI and Radeon HD 7970 CrossFireX, I felt GTX 680 SLI delivered the better experience in every single game. I will make a bold and personal statement; I'd prefer to play games on GTX 680 SLI than I would with Radeon HD 7970 CrossFireX after using both. For me, GTX 680 SLI simply provides a smoother gameplay experience. If I were building a new machine with multi-card in mind, SLI would go in my machine instead of CrossFireX. In fact, I'd probably be looking for those special Galaxy 4GB 680 cards coming down the pike. After gaming on both platforms, GTX 680 SLI was giving me smoother performance at 5760x1200 compared to 7970 CFX. This doesn't apply to single-GPU video cards, only between SLI and CrossFireX.
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/03/28/nvidia_kepler_geforce_gtx_680_sli_video_card_review/9

Toms Hardware also noted this sensation of "smoothness" in their article about microstuttering. They were comparing 6870's vs 560's, but they noted:
"In this particular title, SLI doesn't scale as well as CrossFire, resulting in a lower average frame rate than two Radeon HD 6870s in CrossFire. The Radeons, however, suffer from visible micro-stuttering, while the slower GeForces subjectively seem to be faster due to the reduction of the phenomenon."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-5.html

So, similarly to the HardOCP article they report that you need to attain higher frameraes on a Crossfire setup in order to achieve the same sensation of smoothness in gaming as with SLI.

I agree i have never try either card so only way i can help is by going by professional reviews :(

Yeah. I have been doing my homework on this subject and from what i gather the correct answer is they are both essentially the same in performance overall. Depending on which games you intend to play, one will perform better than the other. ;)

A couple reviews showing the gains with the 12.7 drivers. As usual, it depends on the game. Some games even lose performance. Apparently, the performance benefits only apply to the 7900 series cards. Of course, 5000 series support has been dropped, and 6900's do not gain much or lose performance from the new drivers.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=778&page=10
http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-6-whql-12-7-beta-june-26-benchmark/4

Interesting i always come across threads about these subjects and i find the info you provide great i have learn quite a few things from you :lol:

I think it's important to keep things in perspective. These forums are rife with misinformation. People tend to read about an advantage here and there, and then magnify that difference into something that just isn't true. People tend to always seek the easy answer, but reality is more nuanced than that.

Some examples:
- Crossfire always scales better than SLI
- The 12.7 drivers always result in a win for the AMD card vs. the Nvidia card
- Kepler cards do not overclock
- Tahiti cards always beat the Nvidia card when both are overclocked
- Tahiti/Kepler cards always overclock well past 1300 mhz
- Tahiti cards always have a lot of overclocking headroom
- etc., I'm sure you can come up with some examples yourself

Yeah i know what you mean. :) And,the fanboys on either side don't help make it any less confusing they drive me nuts with their non sense lol.