Antec Vp450 vs Thermaltake tr2 cable management 600w

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeduck

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hi

I have a choice to buy either of these PSU's, Im from Mexico so those are pretty much all the options in my price range with the thermal take being around 10 dollars more expensive.

My PC currently has

Intel I3 3220
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Corsair Vengeance LP 4Gb in one module
Seagate 1.5TB ST1500DL003 Sata III
and a DVD RW for double layer discs
also have a Ati HD 7850 that i havent used because my current PSU doesnt have a 6 pin connector

I'm currently overclocking the Bus Speed slightly to 103mhz to get 16480mhz from the DDR3's and 3.4 GHz from the processor
and will be overclock the graphics card to get around 1050 mhz in the core and shader clocks from their default 860 and the memory clock to 5800mhz

In the future i think of buying a Xfi xtreme gamer, xtreme audio or xtreme audio pro (without the console) and another Corsair 4gb module.

I was impressed by this review for the antec vp450 http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Antec-VP450-Power-Supply-Review/1487

the thermal take is the tr2 600NL2NC cable management without 80 bronze and i havent seen any worthwhile reviews but an user in this forum said that this particular model is 430 minimum and 600 maximum

So wich would be more siutable for my needs?

Thanks

Solution

The Antec VP Series 450 Watt (VP450), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.

The Thermaltake TR2 Series 600 Watt (TR2-600NL2NC), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.
There's a reason why the Thermaltake TR2-600NL2NC can't get any 80 PLUS certification. Thermaltake specifies the efficiency as 72%+ and also this PSU doesn't have active PFC which is a requirement to get any 80 PLUS certification level.

It's based on an old obsolete design.

For a system using a single reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

dudeduck

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
i know, i was clarifying because of the tr2-600p since they both read tr2 600 on the box

Also according to that review the vp450 is more efficient but doesnt get certification because of the lack of PFC

My HD 7850 only requires one 6 pin connector

The Antec VP Series 450 Watt (VP450), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.

The Thermaltake TR2 Series 600 Watt (TR2-600NL2NC), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card.

Solution

dudeduck

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks a lot man, I'll go for the thermaltake, despite its lower efficiency will make me feel more comfortable when upgrading soundcard and doing the clock modifications to the card

D

Deleted member 217926

Personally I would never put a TR2 in any build. This list is not perfect but gives you a really good general idea of how bad it is.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

While ko888 is correct ( as always ) that the TR2 is more than enough for your system you should pay attenton to his first post.

There's a reason why the Thermaltake TR2-600NL2NC can't get any 80 PLUS certification. Thermaltake specifies the efficiency as 72%+ and also this PSU doesn't have active PFC which is a requirement to get any 80 PLUS certification level.

It's based on an old obsolete design.

This is his way of telling you it's crap. Just because it's a higher wattage than the Antec just means you have more crap. ;)

You would be fine adding a soundcard and overclocking with the Antec.

Status
Not open for further replies.