Secure Digital Recommendations

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 25, 2005 12:58:52 AM

To All:

I recently purchased a new camera that uses Secure Digital and I am
asking for some recommendations on reliability of different brands of
Secure Digital memory. I am looking at 512 MB.

I have been using Compact Flash for over 4 years with 2 different
cameras with a preference for Lexar. I mainly shoot stills so write
speed is not an issues.

What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and what
brands to you recommend that I avoid?

Thanks,

Steve
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 1:58:42 PM

Steve H wrote:
[]
> What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and
> what brands to you recommend that I avoid?

Work well for me: SanDisk Ultra II, KingMax Platinum
Avoid: (non specifically - but I would avoid off-name, cheap brands)

David
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 5:40:21 PM

[This followup was posted to rec.photo.digital and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <mxuZe.115266$G8.32545@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
> Steve H wrote:
> []
> > What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and
> > what brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>
> Work well for me: SanDisk Ultra II, KingMax Platinum
> Avoid: (non specifically - but I would avoid off-name, cheap brands)
>
> David

My daughter has a Transcend x45 1 Gb in her Pana which works very well
and is usually a lot cheaper than the main name brands. (Their current
model is x80 speed). I also have their CF in my Canon and have bought
their memory expansion products over the years with no problems.
September 27, 2005 3:48:52 AM

Bruce Graham wrote:
> [This followup was posted to rec.photo.digital and a copy was sent to the
> cited author.]
>
> In article <mxuZe.115266$G8.32545@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
> taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
>
>>Steve H wrote:
>>[]
>>
>>>What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and
>>>what brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>>
>>Work well for me: SanDisk Ultra II, KingMax Platinum
>>Avoid: (non specifically - but I would avoid off-name, cheap brands)
>>
>>David
>>

> My daughter has a Transcend x45 1 Gb in her Pana which works very well
> and is usually a lot cheaper than the main name brands. (Their current
> model is x80 speed). I also have their CF in my Canon and have bought
> their memory expansion products over the years with no problems.

Bruce:

Thanks for the info. I must admit that I have had problems with "off
brand" PC memory so I tend to stick to the "name brands" these days.

Steve
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 7:08:41 AM

Steve H wrote:
> Bruce Graham wrote:
>> [This followup was posted to rec.photo.digital and a copy was sent to
>> the cited author.]
>>
>> In article <mxuZe.115266$G8.32545@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
>> taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...
>>
>>> Steve H wrote:
>>> []

>>> Work well for me: SanDisk Ultra II, KingMax Platinum
>>> Avoid: (non specifically - but I would avoid off-name, cheap brands)
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> My daughter has a Transcend x45 1 Gb in her Pana which works very well
>> and is usually a lot cheaper than the main name brands. (Their current
>> model is x80 speed). I also have their CF in my Canon and have bought
>> their memory expansion products over the years with no problems.
>>
> Bruce:
>
> Thanks for the info. I must admit that I have had problems with "off
> brand" PC memory so I tend to stick to the "name brands" these days.
>
> Steve

I tend to favor the LExar card I have over the Sandisk ones, but both
work just fine.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Steve H wrote:
>
>> Bruce Graham wrote:
>>
>>> [This followup was posted to rec.photo.digital and a copy was sent to
>>> the cited author.]
>>>
>>> In article <mxuZe.115266$G8.32545@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, david-
>>> taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid says...

>>> My daughter has a Transcend x45 1 Gb in her Pana which works very
>>> well and is usually a lot cheaper than the main name brands. (Their
>>> current model is x80 speed). I also have their CF in my Canon and
>>> have bought their memory expansion products over the years with no
>>> problems.
>>>
>> Bruce:
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I must admit that I have had problems with "off
>> brand" PC memory so I tend to stick to the "name brands" these days.
>>
>> Steve
>

> I tend to favor the LExar card I have over the Sandisk ones, but both
> work just fine.

Bruce:

Same here! With Compact Flash, I have found the basic Lexar card to be
faster than the basic Sandisk card. Is that the same for Secure Digital?

Steve
September 28, 2005 6:22:40 AM

Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:

>To All:
>
>I recently purchased a new camera that uses Secure Digital and I am
>asking for some recommendations on reliability of different brands of
>Secure Digital memory. I am looking at 512 MB.
>
>I have been using Compact Flash for over 4 years with 2 different
>cameras with a preference for Lexar. I mainly shoot stills so write
>speed is not an issues.
>
>What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and what
>brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Here are a few of my notes on SD cards. I was unaware of all the
memory speeds available. Believe me a 133X will really make your
camera seem fast and well worth a few extra $ up front.

The higher the speed rating, the faster your camera will be able to
write images to the memory card.

1X = 150 KB/sec

60X = 9MB/sec
66X = 10MB/sec
133X = 20MB/sec

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#sd

SD cards range in size from 16MB up to 2GB. As with other flash media,
SD cards come in different transfer speed ratings. Most SD cards not
marked "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed" are probably only ~2Mb/s
capable. The latest cards are capable of transferring data at 8-10Mb/s
such as the ATP 60x, SanDisk Ultra III or Extreme cards. Transfer
speed is an important factor if you record high framerate motion video
or high quality audio tracks. Many digital camera makers only certify
their 30fps VGA motion video capability when using "high speed" SD
cards.

Capacities: 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and 2GB

SanDisk Extreme is 60X = 9MB/sec
SanDisk Extreme III is 133X = 20MB/sec
SanDisk Ultra® II is 60X = 9MB/sec (plus adds USB)
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:22:41 AM

Rick wrote:

> Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:
>

>>To All:
>>
>>I recently purchased a new camera that uses Secure Digital and I am
>>asking for some recommendations on reliability of different brands of
>>Secure Digital memory. I am looking at 512 MB.
>>
>>I have been using Compact Flash for over 4 years with 2 different
>>cameras with a preference for Lexar. I mainly shoot stills so write
>>speed is not an issues.
>>
>>What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and what
>>brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steve
>

> Here are a few of my notes on SD cards. I was unaware of all the
> memory speeds available. Believe me a 133X will really make your
> camera seem fast and well worth a few extra $ up front.
>
> The higher the speed rating, the faster your camera will be able to
> write images to the memory card.
>
> 1X = 150 KB/sec
>
> 60X = 9MB/sec
> 66X = 10MB/sec
> 133X = 20MB/sec
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#sd
>
> SD cards range in size from 16MB up to 2GB. As with other flash media,
> SD cards come in different transfer speed ratings. Most SD cards not
> marked "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed" are probably only ~2Mb/s
> capable. The latest cards are capable of transferring data at 8-10Mb/s
> such as the ATP 60x, SanDisk Ultra III or Extreme cards. Transfer
> speed is an important factor if you record high framerate motion video
> or high quality audio tracks. Many digital camera makers only certify
> their 30fps VGA motion video capability when using "high speed" SD
> cards.
>
> Capacities: 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and 2GB
>

> SanDisk Extreme is 60X = 9MB/sec
> SanDisk Extreme III is 133X = 20MB/sec
> SanDisk Ultra® II is 60X = 9MB/sec (plus adds USB)

The weak link in the speed of a Camera-to-Card download is usually the
Camera itself, especially with lower/mid level P/S cameras.
High end DSLRs can usually keep up with most fast cards
Where the more expensive fast cards shine is in Card-to-PC transfers
when using a USB 2 Reader
Bob Williams
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:22:41 AM

Rick wrote:
> Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:
>

>>To All:
>>
>>I recently purchased a new camera that uses Secure Digital and I am
>>asking for some recommendations on reliability of different brands of
>>Secure Digital memory. I am looking at 512 MB.
>>
>>I have been using Compact Flash for over 4 years with 2 different
>>cameras with a preference for Lexar. I mainly shoot stills so write
>>speed is not an issues.
>>
>>What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and what
>>brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steve
>

> Here are a few of my notes on SD cards. I was unaware of all the
> memory speeds available. Believe me a 133X will really make your
> camera seem fast and well worth a few extra $ up front.
>
> The higher the speed rating, the faster your camera will be able to
> write images to the memory card.
>
> 1X = 150 KB/sec
>
> 60X = 9MB/sec
> 66X = 10MB/sec
> 133X = 20MB/sec
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#sd
>
> SD cards range in size from 16MB up to 2GB. As with other flash media,
> SD cards come in different transfer speed ratings. Most SD cards not
> marked "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed" are probably only ~2Mb/s
> capable. The latest cards are capable of transferring data at 8-10Mb/s
> such as the ATP 60x, SanDisk Ultra III or Extreme cards. Transfer
> speed is an important factor if you record high framerate motion video
> or high quality audio tracks. Many digital camera makers only certify
> their 30fps VGA motion video capability when using "high speed" SD
> cards.
>
> Capacities: 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and 2GB
>

> SanDisk Extreme is 60X = 9MB/sec
> SanDisk Extreme III is 133X = 20MB/sec
> SanDisk Ultra® II is 60X = 9MB/sec (plus adds USB)
Rick:

Thanks for the Re. So what about the reliability by brand? That was my
original and ONLY question.

I have already read the Steve's Digicams article.

Steve
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:22:42 AM

Bob Williams wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>
>> Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:
>>

>>> To All:
>>>
>>> I recently purchased a new camera that uses Secure Digital and I am
>>> asking for some recommendations on reliability of different brands of
>>> Secure Digital memory. I am looking at 512 MB.
>>>
>>> I have been using Compact Flash for over 4 years with 2 different
>>> cameras with a preference for Lexar. I mainly shoot stills so write
>>> speed is not an issues.
>>>
>>> What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and
>>> what brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>

>> Here are a few of my notes on SD cards. I was unaware of all the
>> memory speeds available. Believe me a 133X will really make your
>> camera seem fast and well worth a few extra $ up front.
>>
>> The higher the speed rating, the faster your camera will be able to
>> write images to the memory card.
>>
>> 1X = 150 KB/sec
>>
>> 60X = 9MB/sec
>> 66X = 10MB/sec
>> 133X = 20MB/sec
>>
>> http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#sd
>>
>> SD cards range in size from 16MB up to 2GB. As with other flash media,
>> SD cards come in different transfer speed ratings. Most SD cards not
>> marked "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed" are probably only ~2Mb/s
>> capable. The latest cards are capable of transferring data at 8-10Mb/s
>> such as the ATP 60x, SanDisk Ultra III or Extreme cards. Transfer
>> speed is an important factor if you record high framerate motion video
>> or high quality audio tracks. Many digital camera makers only certify
>> their 30fps VGA motion video capability when using "high speed" SD
>> cards.
>>
>> Capacities: 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and 2GB
>>
>> SanDisk Extreme is 60X = 9MB/sec
>> SanDisk Extreme III is 133X = 20MB/sec
>> SanDisk Ultra® II is 60X = 9MB/sec (plus adds USB)
>

> The weak link in the speed of a Camera-to-Card download is usually the
> Camera itself, especially with lower/mid level P/S cameras.
> High end DSLRs can usually keep up with most fast cards
> Where the more expensive fast cards shine is in Card-to-PC transfers
> when using a USB 2 Reader
> Bob Williams
Bob:

Agreed!

Steve
September 29, 2005 7:07:55 AM

Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:

>Rick:
>
>Thanks for the Re. So what about the reliability by brand? That was my
>original and ONLY question.
>
>I have already read the Steve's Digicams article.
>
>Steve

I have no brand loyalty or any good statistics on reliability. I
typically buy what is on sale at my time of need. My last SD card
purchase was a 512 MB Pretec (a brand I had not seen before) for $35
from Fry's Outpost. I've had no problem with it so far.

http://www.pretec.com/

http://shop1.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&que...
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 7:07:56 AM

Rick wrote:
> Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:
>

>>Rick:
>>
>>Thanks for the Re. So what about the reliability by brand? That was my
>>original and ONLY question.
>>
>>I have already read the Steve's Digicams article.
>>
>>Steve
>

> I have no brand loyalty or any good statistics on reliability. I
> typically buy what is on sale at my time of need. My last SD card
> purchase was a 512 MB Pretec (a brand I had not seen before) for $35
> from Fry's Outpost. I've had no problem with it so far.
>
> http://www.pretec.com/
>
> http://shop1.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&que...

Rick:

Thanks for the info. As I said earlier in this thread, I have had some
bad experiences with "off brand" PC memory, so I am a bit cautious about
"off brand" camera memory.

Steve
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:31:29 AM

Rick wrote:
> Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:
>
>> To All:
>>
>> I recently purchased a new camera that uses Secure Digital and I am
>> asking for some recommendations on reliability of different brands of
>> Secure Digital memory. I am looking at 512 MB.
>>
>> I have been using Compact Flash for over 4 years with 2 different
>> cameras with a preference for Lexar. I mainly shoot stills so write
>> speed is not an issues.
>>
>> What brands of Secure Digital do you recommend for reliability and what
>> brands to you recommend that I avoid?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>
> Here are a few of my notes on SD cards. I was unaware of all the
> memory speeds available. Believe me a 133X will really make your
> camera seem fast and well worth a few extra $ up front.
>
> The higher the speed rating, the faster your camera will be able to
> write images to the memory card.
>
> 1X = 150 KB/sec
>
> 60X = 9MB/sec
> 66X = 10MB/sec
> 133X = 20MB/sec
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#sd
>
> SD cards range in size from 16MB up to 2GB. As with other flash media,
> SD cards come in different transfer speed ratings. Most SD cards not
> marked "High Speed" or "Ultra High Speed" are probably only ~2Mb/s
> capable. The latest cards are capable of transferring data at 8-10Mb/s
> such as the ATP 60x, SanDisk Ultra III or Extreme cards. Transfer
> speed is an important factor if you record high framerate motion video
> or high quality audio tracks. Many digital camera makers only certify
> their 30fps VGA motion video capability when using "high speed" SD
> cards.
>
> Capacities: 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB and 2GB
>

> SanDisk Extreme is 60X = 9MB/sec
> SanDisk Extreme III is 133X = 20MB/sec
> SanDisk Ultra® II is 60X = 9MB/sec (plus adds USB)

I have both SanDisk and Lexar cards, and both work just fine. The
camera is often the limiting factor in read/write speed, rather than the
card. I rather prefer the Lexar cards, but it is more a matter of the
fact that the Lexar cards I have are faster, and hold a bit more for the
rated size (strange).

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:34:20 AM

Rick wrote:
> Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:
>
>> Rick:
>>
>> Thanks for the Re. So what about the reliability by brand? That was my
>> original and ONLY question.
>>
>> I have already read the Steve's Digicams article.
>>
>> Steve
>
> I have no brand loyalty or any good statistics on reliability. I
> typically buy what is on sale at my time of need. My last SD card
> purchase was a 512 MB Pretec (a brand I had not seen before) for $35
> from Fry's Outpost. I've had no problem with it so far.
>
> http://www.pretec.com/
>
> http://shop1.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&que...

Fry's had a 512 meg 'off brand' for $29 yesterday (no rebate needed).
Last year I paid $64 for a 256 meg and thought it a great deal. sigh.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:24:14 AM

> Rick wrote:
> I have both SanDisk and Lexar cards, and both work just fine. The
> camera is often the limiting factor in read/write speed, rather than the
> card. I rather prefer the Lexar cards, but it is more a matter of the
> fact that the Lexar cards I have are faster, and hold a bit more for the
> rated size (strange).

Well, Ron, that caught my attention. How in the world can one card
"hold a bit more for the rated size" than another card? Are you saying
that some "512MB" cards are more than 512MB? or that others are
less than 512MB?

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]