Sign in with
Your question

Question about Haswell and upgrades

Last response: in CPUs
January 30, 2013 6:29:29 PM

I recently built a gaming pc and I am currently running an i3-3220 ivy bridge on a lga 1155 socket mobo. If I wanted to upgrade to an i5/i7 in about 2 years, would I be able to? I realize Haswell is coming soonish and will not be backwards compatible, I was just wanting to know if the i5 2500k and i5 3570k would still be an option to purchase by then, I would like to wait as long as possible before changing motherboards.
My pc is plenty fast enough for me right now, I'm just wondering about upgrade-ability in the future.
January 30, 2013 6:58:09 PM

The i5 3570K and i5 2500K or Ivy and Sandy Bridge sockets are still extremely popular and still make big sales. I highly doubt that they will stop making 1155 and 1156 motherboards in the near future, it would be a commercial loss for the motherboard producers themselves. I have recently purchased an i5 3570K and plan to keep it until the Skylake CPU's in 2015. I'd check the Intel road-maps for future CPU's but I doubt with the popularity of 1155 and 1156, that parts will become all incompatible. Also to note is that Haswell only provides a 10% performance increase and new integrated graphics, is it really woth it? I think not for an Ivy Bridge user :) 

Regards,
Dan.
!