Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master GX650W and GTX 680?

Last response: in Components
January 30, 2013 6:51:33 PM

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading my graphics card from a XFX HD 5770 to an EVGA GTX 680 SC+ Signature 2 but I am not sure my PSU will be able to handle it and my other components, I'll list my system specs below.

(If anyone has another suggestion for a different GTX 680 that performs similarly and runs quite and cool then please post, because I'm not so sure which one i want, although it has to be below £400!)

System Specs:

Intel Core I5 3570K @ Stock Clocks
Noctua NH-D14
MSI MPower Z77 LGA 1155 Motherboard
XFX HD 5770 1GB Edition (Egg shaped cooler version)
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Hard Drive
Cooler Master GX650W 80+ Bronze PSU

Link to the PSU

It does say that on the +12V Rail it will output 52A and the recommended wattage for a 680 is 550W.

But i do know alot of PSU's don't actually produce the amount of Watts that is stated on the box.

Also would i have room to OC my I5 3570K to atleast 4.3GHz?
Related resources
January 30, 2013 7:12:32 PM

djangoringo said:
It has the amps for a 680 gtx, and the wattage for your system.
But it's not a good one : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master...

Still it will work with the 680 gtx.

Thanks, after reading that review i feel that I should probably go and purchase an AX 750W from Corsair or a Seasonic PSU similar to the AX 750 and a GTX 670 since I will never feel very secure with a low quality PSU as I know what can happen if one fails. A PSU is something I know I should never have cheaped out on, especially since it is connected to nearly every component.
a c 281 ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 7:16:08 PM

PCMau5 said:
Thanks, after reading that review i feel that I should probably go and purchase an AX 750W from Corsair or a Seasonic PSU similar to the AX 750 and a GTX 670 since I will never feel very secure with a low quality PSU as I know what can happen if one fails. A PSU is something I know I should never have cheaped out on, especially since it is connected to nearly every component.

Yep!
a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 7:17:52 PM

PCMau5 said:

You could also take a look at the XFX ProSeries Core Edition 650 watt. It's fairly cheap and it delivers great performance!

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_core_editio... - Review of the 650 watt, 750 watt and the 850 watt.

"The XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies performed very well across the range."

"If you are in the market for a high quality wired power supply, at a fair price, then I highly recommend any of the XFX Pro Series Core Edition units. I have no hesitation in awarding all three XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies the OCC Gold award."

a b ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 7:22:38 PM

PCMau5 said:
Funnily enough i was looking at these PSU's a long time ago when they were first shown on LinusTechTips and i liked the look and I love XFX, I know i can trust those PSU's as i have heard they are actually made by Seasonic, but i think I am going to order the Seasonic X-650W 80+ Gold since it is also modular considering my cabling is quite messy because my case is not exactly the best.

Thanks everyone for the responses and help! :) 

Someone has their wallet full, eh? :D 

Good luck with it, happy gaming!
January 30, 2013 7:23:02 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
You could also take a look at the XFX ProSeries Core Edition 650 watt. It's fairly cheap and it delivers great performance!

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_core_editio... - Review of the 650 watt, 750 watt and the 850 watt.

"The XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies performed very well across the range."

"If you are in the market for a high quality wired power supply, at a fair price, then I highly recommend any of the XFX Pro Series Core Edition units. I have no hesitation in awarding all three XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies the OCC Gold award."

Funnily enough i was looking at these PSU's a long time ago when they were first shown on LinusTechTips and i liked the look and I love XFX, I know i can trust those PSU's as i have heard they are actually made by Seasonic, but i think I am going to order the Seasonic X-650W 80+ Gold since it is also modular considering my cabling is quite messy because my case is not exactly the best.

a c 281 ) Power supply
January 30, 2013 7:34:55 PM

PCMau5 said:

Ah - same PSU as mine - you'll like it!
!