CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
& OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card : Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V

My budget is $1350, so I was wondering if I should improve anything in this build. I'm more concerned with getting the most out of my money than raw performance. However, I do want this build to be futureproofed. Any suggestions?

I also want to know whether I should add fans or anything similar for additional cooling?

*Edit: Changed the cpu cooler, graphics card, and psu (per suggestions). I noticed I didn't have sufficient power with the old one. If I may want to crossfire in the future, should I get a psu with even more wattage?

I want to add that this build was chosen with strictly gaming in mind. Hope that helps.

More about : build

September 16, 2012 6:10:26 PM

Get a GTX 670, you won't be sorry. I would upgrade that power supply as well. A SSD as a system drive would be very nice if you like a snappy system, but that can be upgraded later. An AMD CPU and board will run you around $200-240 and it won't be a bottleneck unless you're running extreme resolutions. That'll save the cost of your current MB selection.
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:15:32 PM

Overall it's a very nice build. If I were in your situation I would spend the extra money on getting a better graphics card, even though yours is still pretty good. It really depends on what kind of computing your going to be doing, if you want to play games on max settings for years to come, a better gpu would be your best performance upgrade.
If you want to do multi-monitor gaming you might want to invest in crossfire/sli gpus.
Also your PSU seems to be a little low for your components, might want to get one a little better.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2012 6:19:34 PM

dissbelief said:
Get a GTX 670, you won't be sorry. I would upgrade that power supply as well. A SSD as a system drive would be very nice if you like a snappy system, but that can be upgraded later. An AMD CPU and board will run you around $200-240 and it won't be a bottleneck unless you're running extreme resolutions. That'll save the cost of your current MB selection.

He has an OCZ Vertex 4 for a system drive which is a really high ranking SSD. I agree that he should go with a better video card; that's a last generation card. Get a 7950 or a GTX 670. Tom's says the 7950 is better than the 670 on a price/performance rating and I'm inclined to agree. Also you need 2 ram dimms to activate the dual channel that your motherboard supports. I have the same mobo. I got Kingston HyperX1600 8gb (2x4gb). Just make sure you get the ram with the right item#. Check ASRock's Extreme4 Z77 compatibility sheet to make sure you get the right one. The one I got was the KHX1600 C9D3K2 / 8GX. Also get a better power supply, I'd recommend 650 watts to compensate for capacitor ageing presuming you'd like to use this computer for several years. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, and OCZ are all great PSU brands.

Check here for ram compatibility: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme...
Check here for best video card/monies: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:25:22 PM

The 3570k is overkill for most people. If you have the $$$, then great. Otherwise, buy what you need. Don't live by benchmarks and the need for the top-of-the-line. My 960t(4.2ghz) and gtx 460 (OCed) run current games beautifully. I'll be upgrading to a 7950 here in a few weeks and eventually Piledriver if its decent. Then I'll be set for another 2 years at least, but probably more. I built this system about a 1.5 years ago and it always keeps up. If you are a professional and need CPU horsepower, the 3570k is a good choice.
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:26:18 PM

fuzg13z said:
He has an OCZ Vertex 4 for a system drive which is a really high ranking SSD. I agree that he should go with a better video card; that's a last generation card. Get a 7950 or a GTX 670. Tom's says the 7950 is better than the 670 on a price/performance rating and I'm inclined to agree. Also you need 2 ram dimms to activate the dual channel that your motherboard supports. I have the same mobo. I got Kingston HyperX1600 8gb (2x4gb). Just make sure you get the ram with the right item#. Check ASRock's Extreme4 Z77 compatibility sheet to make sure you get the right one. The one I got was the KHX1600 C9D3K2 / 8GX. Also get a better power supply, I'd recommend 650 watts to compensate for capacitor ageing presuming you'd like to use this computer for several years. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, and OCZ are all great PSU brands.

Check here for ram compatibility: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme...
Check here for best video card/monies: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme...

I removed the ssd since they should become cheaper in the future, and it's not a necessity at this point. I also changed the psu to 650w. Is Rosewill a good brand, or should I consider dropping more cash on the brands you suggested? Also, after removing the ssd should I still look to improve the graphics card? I still have around $250 to work with after the modifications. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep em coming!
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:29:04 PM

NO ROSEWILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stick to fuzg13z's list
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:32:34 PM

TheShepherd said:
I removed the ssd since they should become cheaper in the future, and it's not a necessity at this point. I also changed the psu to 650w. Is Rosewill a good brand, or should I consider dropping more cash on the brands you suggested? Also, after removing the ssd should I still look to improve the graphics card? I still have around $250 to work with after the modifications. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep em coming!

I've never heard good or bad about Rosewill but really the PSU is not something you want to screw around with. It's the lifeline of your system. A bad PSU could leave you crying because your system is frying... lol.. There are often times great sales where you can get a brand name 650w PSU for like $50. Check www.ncix.com (my favourite online store :p )

You are right, SSD prices are on the decline but it'll make a huge difference on your system performance; especially in any sort of game or software that's load intensive. It's going to take a while before they go down in price to make a notable difference, I'd get one now. You can get a 128gb vertex 4 for $89.99+ tax at NCIX right now.
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:35:54 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... +
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

great cooling option and much cheaper. Get a fan controller and run 6 120mm fans for less than the phantom. The gamma is a little ugly though but it works beautifully and has plenty of room. Those fans are near silent with a controller and my temps are great. I moved the fans and controller to a HAF 912 ($59) and they run great in there as well.
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:38:51 PM

fuzg13z said:
I've never heard good or bad about Rosewill but really the PSU is not something you want to screw around with. It's the lifeline of your system. A bad PSU could leave you crying because your system is frying... lol.. There are often times great sales where you can get a brand name 650w PSU for like $50. Check www.ncix.com (my favourite online store :p )

You are right, SSD prices are on the decline but it'll make a huge difference on your system performance; especially in any sort of game or software that's load intensive. It's going to take a while before they go down in price to make a notable difference, I'd get one now. You can get a 128gb vertex 4 for $89.99+ tax at NCIX right now.

Thank you. I switched to a seasonic psu. Should I go even bigger if I want to crossfire down the line? So you suggest going with the Vertex 4 that I previously had in the build. Will ssd technology continue to improve in terms of speed over the years? I mean I can always pick up an ssd on black friday or around christmas if it's unlikely that they will become cheaper in the next year or so.
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:45:06 PM

Get a gtx 670 and you wont have to worry about SLI/crossfire or a PSU for awhile. A cheap 128gb SSD will suffice. Crucial M4 is known for reliabilty; I have 2. You wont notice a drive faster than this (or equivalent) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... If you could, you wouldn't be asking for build advice :) . The speed isnt critical, its the latency vs mechanical drives that give them the speed because they have no moving parts.
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:51:40 PM

The Vertex4 is currently one of the top SSDs; the Samsung 830, Crucial m4, and the plextor M5S are good mid-line SSDs but you should definately read the article posted at the bottom of this post before buying an m4! The Vertex 4 is a current generation SSD whereas the 830, m5s and m4 are previous generation. The vertex 4 uses Everest 2 to improve its reliability over previous generations and has a 5 year warranty for a highly competitive price. Whatever you decide though, an SSD will offer a huge advantage of an HDD.

SSD benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/m5s-256gb-ssd-bench...

Also, change your ram to a 2 dimm setup (2x4gb) so you can take advantage of dual channel as previously mentioned!!
m
l
September 16, 2012 6:56:11 PM

1 slight tweak you need to make as well, don't buy the 212 plus, buy the 212 evo. The heatpipes on the 212 plus don't make contact with the CPU very well whereas the evo has a solid baseplate on it that makes perfect contact; it makes a difference of a few degrees which is kind of a big deal for the 3570k which runs really hot as it is. The price difference is only a few bucks and it's worth it for the temp difference.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Listen to fuzg13z. He is right about the cooler and saved your butt with the RAM :)  A 212 plus is OK if you need to save a few $$$ for a budget. What is your budget?
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:04:54 PM

I'm sure SSD performance will improve of the next few years but not to such an extent that you should wait for it. They're superb parts now that should definately be included in any gaming rig in my opinion. A larger PSU would be a good idea for crossfire but a 650 would probably cut it. Try find a decent power supply calculator and knock the capacitor ageing up 10% year that you'd like to use the computer.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:06:30 PM

dissbelief said:
Listen to fuzg13z. He is right about the cooler and saved your butt with the RAM :)  A 212 plus is OK if you need to save a few $$$ for a budget. What is your budget?

+1
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:08:47 PM

dissbelief said:
Get a gtx 670 and you wont have to worry about SLI/crossfire or a PSU for awhile. A cheap 128gb SSD will suffice. Crucial M4 is known for reliabilty; I have 2. You wont notice a drive faster than this (or equivalent) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... If you could, you wouldn't be asking for build advice :) . The speed isnt critical, its the latency vs mechanical drives that give them the speed because they have no moving parts.

I don't mind dropping $100 on the Vertex 4 as I am still below my budget unless it's just not worth it. As for the GTX 670, should I go with 2GB or 4GB memory. Additionally, does the GTX 670 really make sense from a value perspective? Four hundred dollars seems pretty steep.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:09:15 PM

Im bored and taking a break from my calc studies. Let me know where you want to get your parts from and Ill set you up a nice outline for a gaming system based on price/performance, upgradability, and necessity. I enjoy doing it and Ill be researching for my new build at the same time :) . Let me know if you have any professional work like coding, music/video production, folding@home, etc.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:13:17 PM

dissbelief said:

I forgot to mention that I have some Crucial Ram laying around, and I'm going to use a 4GB stick along with the 8GB stick included in this build. The most I'm looking to spend is $1350.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:14:03 PM

TheShepherd said:
I don't mind dropping $100 on the Vertex 4 as I am still below my budget unless it's just not worth it. As for the GTX 670, should I go with 2GB or 4GB memory. Additionally, does the GTX 670 really make sense from a value perspective? Four hundred dollars seems pretty steep.

Use this to find the right graphics card for your budget. It's quick and straightforward and is full of links to their in-depth articles if you're interested. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:15:19 PM

TheShepherd said:
I forgot to mention that I have some Crucial Ram laying around, and I'm going to use a 4GB stick along with the 8GB stick included in this build. The most I'm looking to spend is $1350.

They need to be identicle dimms. You need a dual channel kit - a 2x4 kit will cost the same as your 1x8 kit.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:18:34 PM

dissbelief said:
Im bored and taking a break from my calc studies. Let me know where you want to get your parts from and Ill set you up a nice outline for a gaming system based on price/performance, upgradability, and necessity. I enjoy doing it and Ill be researching for my new build at the same time :) . Let me know if you have any professional work like coding, music/video production, folding@home, etc.

Cool, I really appreciate it man. In addition to gaming I may do some beat production, but that's more a hobby than anything. I don't mind mixing and matching on sites to get the best deals. Sites like newegg, ncix, and amazon are fine by me.

My budget is $1350, but like I said I'm looking more for value than the best that I can buy.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:21:40 PM

Depends on your budget. Buying one 670 vs 2 slower cards + PSU(if you need to SLI/crossfire) is a better bet and simpler. For my build, Im buying one 7850 now and Im going to crossfire later when they are cheaper but Ill be using them for gaming and computing so my needs are different. The build process is very subjective and you have to give and take in a lot of areas. $400 for a 670 is worth it. The premium for the 4gb version is worth is you like a lot of AA + AF and plan on play @ resolutions higher than 1080p. If you get a 670, I guarantee you wont regret it (unless you get a dud...). For your current total of $1100 on pcpartpicker, I would spent $400-500 on graphics and make everything else work. I wish I had that much :(  .
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:24:37 PM

fuzg13z said:
They need to be identicle dimms. You need a dual channel kit - a 2x4 kit will cost the same as your 1x8 kit.

Noted. I updated the build again. Do you think there will be some deals to be had on ssd's on black friday? I don't mind waiting two months if I can save some money.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:27:53 PM

dissbelief said:
Depends on your budget. Buying one 670 vs 2 slower cards + PSU(if you need to SLI/crossfire) is a better bet and simpler. For my build, Im buying one 7850 now and Im going to crossfire later when they are cheaper but Ill be using them for gaming and computing so my needs are different. The build process is very subjective and you have to give and take in a lot of areas. $400 for a 670 is worth it. The premium for the 4gb version is worth is you like a lot of AA + AF and plan on play @ resolutions higher than 1080p. If you get a 670, I guarantee you wont regret it (unless you get a dud...). For your current total of $1100 on pcpartpicker, I would spent $400-500 on graphics and make everything else work. I wish I had that much :(  .

I definitely don't want to crossfire now. I'd rather have room to upgrade, and buying another 670 in the future when they get cheaper makes more sense than being capped out now.
m
l
September 16, 2012 7:45:12 PM

fuzg13z said:
What kind of gaming are you looking to do? The 7870 is often on sale for like $230, it's direct x 11.1 (current gen) and runs most titles on max graphics at 1920x1080..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

I mostly play FPS's, RPG's, and RTS's. Battlefield 3, Planetside 2, Star Wars TOR, Borderlands 2, Civilization V, Starcraft 2, Max Payne 3, Metro 2033, Skyrim, and Crysis are just a few of the games that I want to play.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:00:12 PM

Here's what I would do:

AMD Phenom II 965 $109 (they are constantly going on sale for 89)
Asrock 970 Extreme 4 AM3+ $99 (can SLI in future and upgrade to future AMD CPUs like Piledriver)
G. Skill Sniper 1866 (2x4gb) $55
MSI 670 2gb $380 - $25 rebate = $355
Seagate 3TB $140 (your pick)
Any 128gb SSD ~ $99 ( I recommend Crucial m4 but purchase on reviews of reliabilty)
Case $100 ( whatever floats your boat and cools your components)
Cooling $100 (fans, fan controller to keep noise down, cpu cooler, etc)
Corsair Tx750 PSU $110

TOTAL= $1167 + Borderlands 2

1350 -1167 = $183 for PIledriver upgrade in a years time if you even need it. Don't listen to the AMD haters. Intel is faster, but AMD will work just fine and they like to make their sockets backwards compatible so upgrading is easy and less expensive. You may be able to upgrade to the generation after Piledriver but that depends on AMD. There will be no bottlenecks, especially if you overclock the CPU. Don't listen to the snobs and fanboys. How much do you care about 3-15 FPS when its already over 60FPS? Will you pay more for it? I wouldn't.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:02:33 PM

dissbelief said:
Here's what I would do:

Asrock 970 Extreme 4 AM3+ $99 (can SLI in future and upgrade to future AMD CPUs like Piledriver)
Any 128gb SSD ~ $99 ( I recommend Crucial m4 but purchase on reviews of reliabilty)
Corsair Tx750 PSU $110

1350 -1167 = $183 for PIledriver upgrade in a years time if you even need it. Don't listen to the AMD haters. Intel is faster, but AMD will work just fine and they like to make their sockets backwards compatible so upgrading is easy and less expensive. You may be able to upgrade to the generation after Piledriver but that depends on AMD. There will be no bottlenecks, especially if you overclock the CPU. Don't listen to the snobs and fanboys. How much do you care about 3-15 FPS when its already over 60FPS? Will you pay more for it? I wouldn't.

If it's not too much work, what would you recommend for cooling? That is the area that I am least knowledgable in.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:03:20 PM

You can make it cheaper if you bargain hunt. Im not doing that for you, that your job. If you stick close to this system you won't go wrong.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:06:11 PM

What settings are you looking to run Metro 2033 at? the 7870 should be able to run it somewhere in the medium to high range at 1920x1080.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:10:38 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 4pack of fans for $14
I run 6 of these in my haf 912 with a fan controller and I do not hear them. Whenever I check temps, they are well within my comfort zone. Cooler master 212 evo is a good choice for cpu cooler. Cooling design depends on your case. I like to keep it simple though with 3 intake 3 exhaust. Larger fans like 180mm and 200mm are great as well, but they are more expensive and your case have to support them. You should consider a seperate thread for cooling if you want to go for it hardcore
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:12:10 PM

fuzg13z said:
What settings are you looking to run Metro 2033 at? the 7870 should be able to run it somewhere in the medium to high range at 1920x1080.

I'd be satisfied with medium.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:13:42 PM

dissbelief said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 4pack of fans for $14
I run 6 of these in my haf 912 with a fan controller and I do not hear them. Whenever I check temps, they are well within my comfort zone. Cooler master 212 evo is a good choice for cpu cooler. Cooling design depends on your case. I like to keep it simple though with 3 intake 3 exhaust. Larger fans like 180mm and 200mm are great as well, but they are more expensive and your case have to support them. You should consider a seperate thread for cooling if you want to go for it hardcore

I do want to go balls to the wall, since I want this thing to last me a while. Lower temperature will definitely help me in that regard.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:17:10 PM

fuzg13z said:

I ran metro on high @1080p with a OCed GTX 460 and got around 35-40FPS. There were occasional dips in FPS so I lowered a few settings and it looked and ran great after that. A 7870 should be able to max it out. Im speculating though....
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:22:09 PM

TheShepherd said:
I do want to go balls to the wall, since I want this thing to last me a while. Lower temperature will definitely help me in that regard.

Very wise. Start small and monitor temps during full load and tweak accordingly. Leave those closed-loop water coolers alone. Add fans and change airflow BASED on temp performance. Don't throw 4000 fans in your case and call it a day. Take into account noise, power, managing cables, price,dust, etc.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:25:06 PM

dissbelief said:
I ran metro on high @1080p with a OCed GTX 460 and got around 35-40FPS. There were occasional dips in FPS so I lowered a few settings and it looked and ran great after that. A 7870 should be able to max it out. Im speculating though....

That's impressive considering the 670 "only" pulls 65. lol.. 65 fps is really good though :p 
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:26:58 PM

TheShepherd said:
I'd be satisfied with medium.

Then buy a $209.99 7870 from NCIX today!! They're on sale :) 
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:29:27 PM

fuzg13z said:
Then buy a $209.99 7870 from NCIX today!! They're on sale :) 

My birthday is tomorrow...... want to buy me a present?
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:31:16 PM

I'm considering the 7870. Should I spend the extra dough and go with the GHz edition?
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:32:16 PM

dissbelief said:
Here's what I would do:

Corsair Tx750 PSU $110

Eeew AMD. Lol, at least it's an older one that's still a good processor. I wouldn't count on a future AMD though when it comes time to upgrade. All their new processors are APUs which seem to be geared towards integrated graphics as opposed to Intel who is sticking with good processors that pair well with discrete graphics cards.

I'd stick with your original setup with the 3570k and ASRock Extreme4 Z77 and the other suggestions we made about the PSU, SSD and gfx card. Pay extra for the processor and mobo, and skimp a little on the video card (HD 7870) that'll run most things at max graphics at 1920x1080. Then someday when you need more gfx power drop in another 7870 (they'll go down in price a lot by the time you need another). The Phenom platform will give you better performance now for the same $$, but the intel platform will give you more future expandability as it will be adequate for longer. Sorry that we're so back and forth; clearly we dissbelief and I have different taste :p 
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:33:36 PM

TheShepherd said:
I'm considering the 7870. Should I spend the extra dough and go with the GHz edition?

I wouldn't. They overclock nicely. Save the $$ and do it yourself.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:34:16 PM

TheShepherd said:

Naww, you can just overclock it to equal a ghz edition :)  Just make sure you find with a good cooling solution, sapphire, gigabyte, asus, xfx, msi etc..
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:35:36 PM

dissbelief said:
My birthday is tomorrow...... want to buy me a present?

Only if you buy one for my birthday (it's in 1 month) lol
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:39:12 PM

fuzg13z said:
Eeew AMD. Lol, at least it's an older one that's still a good processor. I wouldn't count on a future AMD though when it comes time to upgrade. All their new processors are APUs which seem to be geared towards integrated graphics as opposed to Intel who is sticking with good processors that pair well with discrete graphics cards.

I'd stick with your original setup with the 3570k and ASRock Extreme4 Z77 and the other suggestions we made about the PSU, SSD and gfx card. Pay extra for the processor and mobo, and skimp a little on the video card (HD 7870) that'll run most things at max graphics at 1920x1080. Then someday when you need more gfx power drop in another 7870 (they'll go down in price a lot by the time you need another). The Phenom platform will give you better performance now for the same $$, but the intel platform will give you more future expandability as it will be adequate for longer. Sorry that we're so back and forth; clearly we dissbelief and I have different taste :p 

No need to apologize for disagreeing. That's the reason I made this thread. I think I'm going to stick with Intel regardless though. I just don't really like AMD. I think this is what I'm going to go with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hE7E

I figure spending I'll drop the cash on the gfx, and I won't have to worry about upgrading for a while.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:40:23 PM

omg this thread is huge.. well it's time for my supper break; I'll be back in 30 mins.. What the F?! I see that you've downgraded your proc to the 3450?? That's not unlocked so you can't overclock it!! It's a very good processor still but you can't pump it up to 4.4ghz like you can the 3570k!
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:42:18 PM

fuzg13z said:

He's very wrong (suck on that fuzg13z). GPU is most important in a gaming rig so skimp on everything else (within reason). A 3570k is overkill for gaming unless you have multiple 680's. A phenom II will hold it own with any high-end card. Don't pay extra for 10fps that you wont even notice. Save your money. If piledriver is better than bulldozer, then it'll be worth it to upgrade. If you need CPU horsepower, get the 3570k but thatll be the only processor worth putting into that board. A new cpu will required a new board and that requires more money.
m
l
!