Closed

Looking for advice for new build!

I'm looking for some advice as to what to add to this current build. I recently bought this setup and it is in the mail expected to arrive next week. I did a bunch of research and was able to get everything for $625 which in my opinion is just about the best pc for the price that i could possibly build. Anyone have any ideas as far as trying to OC the CPU, running raid, or what not please send some advice this way.

Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM) (L12-1312 OEM )

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3 500-Watt US Power Supply - ATX, 12V, 120mm Fan, RoHS Compliant (C283-1220 )

Corsair CSSD-F120GB3A-BK Force Series 3 Solid State Drive - 120GB, SATA III (6Gb/s), 2.5", up to 550MB/s Read, up to 510MB/s Write (C13-8121 )

Thermaltake VM30001W2Z V4 Black Edition Mid Tower Gaming Case - ATX/MicroATX, USB, Audio, Blue LED fan (T925-3064 )

Galaxy 56NGH6HS3KXZ GeForce GTX 560 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready (G458-0562 )

AMD FD4170FRGUBOX FX-4170 Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 4MB L2 Cache, 4.20GHz (4.30GHz Max Turbo), Socket AM3+, 125W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail (A79-4170 )

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970/SB950 AM3+ FX ATX Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 970 Chipset, 2000MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 7.1-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready (G452-8442 )

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance 8GB PC15000 DDR3 RAM - 1866MHz, 2x4096MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered (C13-5704 )
16 answers Last reply
More about looking advice build
  1. this would have been a hell of a lot better
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/haiH

not much you can add as of now other than a heatsink to overclock and try to get the performance of a i3
  2. Well with the mail-in-rebates the total build was $575 and i gotta admit i disagree w/ the I3 compared to the FX 4170. I'm looking to get the most out of my build, but i do appreciate the reply. Below is the Hierarchy chart by tomshardware and for the mean time until WIN 8 comes out the new I-3s are somewhat strong.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,review-32514-5.html

I'm not a fanboy of AMD but my last build was a 1055T, 8GB ram, 465 1GB, w/ 2 TB HDD and i found it to be pretty nice actually. I would like some ideas as far as would running a raid be helpfull or if i could even OC my CPU w/ a 500w PSU.
  3. TheBigTroll said:
    this would have been a hell of a lot better
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/haiH

not much you can add as of now other than a heatsink to overclock and try to get the performance of a i3

TheBigTroll sounds about right lol
  4. well then why am i on the top of the systems list (well second right now)

your 1055t is faster than the fx
  5. Ok since you are clearly just here troll my post I will let you know that I do not care what your real or not build is. I asked for some advise on experience with components in my build, your troll has been sent to the moderators.
  6. TheBigTroll said:
    well then why am i on the top of the systems list (well second right now)

It just means you've been posting a lot, that doesn't mean your posts have been any good or very helpful just that you've made a lot of them.
  7. TheBigTroll said:
    well then why am i on the top of the systems list (well second right now)

A Pentium G620 is faster than the FX-6100.
  8. Mousemonkey said:
    It just means you've been posting a lot, that doesn't mean your posts have been any good or very helpful just that you've made a lot of them.

if you say so...
  9. Has anyone who's had experience with the fx-4170 recommend anything for a good setup. The "unusual" core setup brings some questions to mind as far as what cores are parked when, and i wonder if anyone has found out any tricks to set that CPU better.
  10. TheBigTroll said:
    if you say so...

The ranking system just counts posts, there have been a couple of people who have gamed the system (and subsequently been banned) by machine gunning the forum with "+1" posts in an effort to raise their rank.
  11. yeah but i wouldnt bother machine gunning the forums with +1 posts. nor do i spam the threads with random junk. go look at my posts if you would like to do so....

lets do some more math

its 4 points for each post. i have 48595 points as of the time of posting. i would have to make 12148 posts to gain that many points. i dont have the time to just +1 that many posts.

the other fact that i have over 150 best answers in this section of the forum should somewhat prove my reliablilty. you could say i can make a account just to give myself best answers but that would be way to suspicious and would be instantly caught by you moderators

i am not being disrespectful but trying to prove my innocence

now if you dont want me going on this post and filling up his notifications with useful information, i dont have to. just say so and i will leave subsequently.
  12. TheBigTroll said:
    yeah but i wouldnt bother machine gunning the forums with +1 posts. nor do i spam the threads with random junk. go look at my posts if you would like to do so....

lets do some more math

its 4 points for each post. i have 48595 points as of the time of posting. i would have to make 12148 posts to gain that many points. i dont have the time to just +1 that many posts.

the other fact that i have over 150 best answers in this section of the forum should somewhat prove my reliablilty. you could say i can make a account just to give myself best answers but that would be way to suspicious and would be instantly caught by you moderators

i am not being disrespectful but trying to prove my innocence

now if you dont want me going on this post and filling up his notifications with useful information, i dont have to. just say so and i will leave subsequently.

Re read my post, I was making the point that being top ranked is just a consequence of accumulating points and as for the badge system, don't get me started on that.
  13. Well this was a wasted post....i was hoping that the moderators would just remove the useless comments from the one user and so i would have a chance to get some ideas.
  14. stun effect said:
    Well this was a wasted post....i was hoping that the moderators would just remove the useless comments from the one user and so i would have a chance to get some ideas.

I can still do that but this thread will drop down the page though and may even end up on page 2 or further back and bumping it will result in closure.
  15. Mousemonkey said:
    I can still do that but this thread will drop down the page though and may even end up on page 2 or further back and bumping it will result in closure.

I dont mind if you close this thread, guess i'll just stick to checking out other people's posts. Appreciate the input on everything. :bounce:
  16. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems