steelteal

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hi, I am building a PC and I decided to change my PSU because I want one that is modular.

At first, I chose the Kingwin 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
But, now I'm looking at the Rosewill Tachyon 550W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

I need help deciding which is better.
The one I chose originally is 89 - 92% efficient. The other one is > 89% efficient.
The Kingwin is not modular. The Rosewill is.
The Rosewill is cheaper, but I don't know why.
I need opinions. If you guys see anything that makes one better, please reply. Thanks in advance.

This is my build, if it makes any difference.

Your 550w psu is about the proper size for a 7850. The 7850 only needs 450w, but I like to overprovision a bit so that it operates in the more efficient third of it's range and will be quieter.

From a quality point of view, you could look at this list and pick a tier 1 or 2 unit. It should cost no more.
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

As to gold/silver/platinum rating, you are unlikely to recoup enough savings in power to offset the increased costs.
But... a more efficient psu will not need to run the fan so much and will be quieter.

As to modular or not, I think it is a non issue. You will be using most of the leads from a properly sized psu anyway.
Only in a small form factor case might modular be a plus. In anything else, there is always space to tuck unused leads away out of the cooling airstream.
I might pick the SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W @$80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

For what it is worth, I think you can buy a better Intel cpu for $190 than the FX-8350.
It is not the greatest for gaming. Do some research there.

steelteal

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Hi, thanks for the help. The reason I want the 8350 is is for editing / rendering. I heard it's 8 cores is good for that.
And for gaming: the only game I play is Minecraft and I think the 8350 can handle that at a high frame rate.
But, really my only 2 choices for a PSU are those 2. I just need to know if they are reliable / recommended.

Thanks again for your help.