Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card buzz/hum (Not the fan)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2012 10:08:03 PM

Hello,

I recently got an MSI GTX 670 and although the card itself is a beast, there is strange buzz/hum coming from it. I stopped the fan to see if that was the problem but it's not. I don't know if it's a problem or just the way the card is built. It's the kind of noise that gets louder when I play games like BF3 but it's always there even when the PC is idle. Does anyone have this card and/or experience the same thing? I want to know if my card is faulty or if it's supposed to be like that. The sound isn't deafening but rather annoying.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 10:19:20 PM

It is the inductors on the card. Ferrite shielded inductors are absolutely the worst when it comes to buzzing and often have a very short operating life. If it is the reference model like most are the problem will never go away unless you got rid of it and bought a custom model that used higher quality inductors or replaced the inductors your self with a better model.

Ferrite core inductors will still buzz but they can hold a current much better without shorting.

Is your card the regular GTX670?
July 28, 2012 10:23:55 PM

nforce4max said:
It is the inductors on the card. Ferrite shielded inductors are absolutely the worst when it comes to buzzing and often have a very short operating life. If it is the reference model like most are the problem will never go away unless you got rid of it and bought a custom model that used higher quality inductors or replaced the inductors your self with a better model.

Ferrite core inductors will still buzz but they can hold a current much better without shorting.

Is your card the regular GTX670?

I believe so, it's this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/368329-msi-gtx-670-2gb-gddr5-dual...

Again, it's not a bad card, but if this buzzing is a problem that shouldn't be there, then I'll want to replace it.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 10:27:37 PM

If you are not someone who is into modding hardware and wants to keep the warranty then I suggest that you look into an rma. If you are willing to give it a try then maybe some metal core R30 rated inductors will work. I know the inductors that Gigabyte uses are pretty solid and they being slightly higher rated that what is on your card it will give overclocking a small boost.

RMA or return it for a refund. Look for cards that don't use reference design pcb and have better quality inductors. It really matters these days as cards use a lot more power.
July 28, 2012 10:30:25 PM

nforce4max said:
If you are not someone who is into modding hardware and wants to keep the warranty then I suggest that you look into an rma. If you are willing to give it a try then maybe some metal core R30 rated inductors will work. I know the inductors that Gigabyte uses are pretty solid and they being slightly higher rated that what is on your card it will give overclocking a small boost.

RMA or return it for a refund. Look for cards that don't use reference design pcb and have better quality inductors. It really matters these days as cards use a lot more power.

Okay, thanks. Could you recommend a 670 card that doesn't have this problem? And you're correct, I don't think I''ll mod it as I'll end up creating a bigger problem.
July 28, 2012 10:39:47 PM

nforce4max said:
Even though you are UK I am using newegg as an example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This card uses inductors that are not surface mounted and should be good. Surface mounted inductors are terrible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Perfect, I'll look into it. That card might not be an option in the UK. If not I'll look into alternatives.

Last thing, does this card have a problem? Or is it okay to still use untiol I can get a replacement?
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 10:43:37 PM

Continue to use it, most of the reference models have it already and the rest will soon enough. Once the inductors fail the gpu will gradually be starved of power and I expect plenty of threads to pop up in the months to maybe a year from now of people complaining that their card has went bad. You can look through all the threads about the gtx280, gtx 570, and gtx580 about inductor related problems. Notice how they are all alike.
!