New build - mobo won't stay powered on - HELP! :\

Nate38724

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Use: Gaming
Budget: ~$1200

First build... pretty nervous about putting this thing together. I plan on mainly relying on the Newegg DIY videos to guide me through the process (and a few other websites such as LifeHacker, TheVerge and of course, Tom's. I did some research online and found these to be the best fit for my budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.03 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.25 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($22.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1135.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-16 15:20 EDT-0400)

Any suggestions on the build? Do I need a better heatsink if I plan to OC the CPU around 10-15%?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Solution
Mostly very good. I would recommend a couple of adjustments:

Change Memory to Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 @ $40.99 from Newegg
Change Power Supply to Antec Basic Plus BP550Plus 550w Cert 80+ @ $59.95 from NCIX

The memory is lower profile, so there's no risk of a clash with installing CPU cooler (which is fine, by the way)
The Antec power supply, although a bit dearer, is more reliable than OCZ.

Other than that good to go. Good luck with your build, it's easier than we sometimes make it look. There's a lot of help, and guidance around.

malbluff

Honorable
Mostly very good. I would recommend a couple of adjustments:

Change Memory to Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 @ $40.99 from Newegg
Change Power Supply to Antec Basic Plus BP550Plus 550w Cert 80+ @ $59.95 from NCIX

The memory is lower profile, so there's no risk of a clash with installing CPU cooler (which is fine, by the way)
The Antec power supply, although a bit dearer, is more reliable than OCZ.

Other than that good to go. Good luck with your build, it's easier than we sometimes make it look. There's a lot of help, and guidance around.

Solution

Nate38724

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I appreciate your input malbuff. This is all very new to me.. as I'm sure you see posts like this every day in this forum! I've studied and watched every minute of the Newegg videos (part I, II and III) and feel somewhat confident about taking the dive. We'll see though...

Luckily, I'll have a separate computer by my side for research purposes given I encounter any issues.

My main concern is the wiring/cables and where they should go. I know they are usually labeled on the motherboard.. but looking at a computer BEFORE cable management makes me believe wiring the board to the PSU, HDDs, optical drive(s), etc is the hardest part....!

malbluff

Honorable
I know paper is "old hat", but you can't beat a good beginners guide type book, with lots of pictures, taking you step by step, through the build. Makes it really easy, first time (and 2nd for that matter). If you look in "books" (not Kindle), on Amazon, there will be lots titled "Build your First Computer", or something. Make sure it's a 2012 Edition, and it will be invaluable. $10, or whatever, well spent. Make sure you follow instructions to avoid static, and you won't go far wrong. Just takes a bit of care.

Nate38724

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Will do. Thanks again for the advice malbluff. I'll look into investing a physical resource guide for reference! Looks like I'm ordering the parts today... this next weekend will be rather interesting...

Nate38724

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I'm building now..... installed the CPU, heatsink, memory and GPU to test the system before loading it into the computer. When I hit the power button the mobo, it turns on for a second, then turns off. What might be the problem?? I've reseated everything....

Is it the mobo? CPU?