Noob Rogue weapon question

Hi All;

Thanks in advance for any help and insight in answering my question.

I started Rogue life with a throwing weapon for pulling. I soon trained bows
for better damage. However, since bows require a quiver, I've lost a
valuable bag slot.

Since throwing weapons only take a slot in a bag, will throwing weapons ever
do the range damage that bows will?
I would rather use throwing weapons and get back the bag slot, but, not at
the expense of losing a lot of ranged damage and stats.

Any help and guidance with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks once again for your time and help.

Ironrage.
Lev 10 Rogue

Chad wrote:
> As a rogue, using a bow does not require using a quiver. I belive only
> Hunters are required to use a quiver.

I don't think Hunters are required to use a quiver. Of course, we fire
off so many shots that we'd need to fill a bag with arrows anyway. May
as well have the quiver for the additional shot speed.

steve.kaye

I don't know why but my Level 44 Rogue does like 144 damage with a gun
shot. It could be the high agility.

I don't use the gun to pull as much as to finish off mobs running away.
Why chase the runner down if I can gun them down with a well placed
shot to the back. (I'm a rogue after all.)

I use a gun because the I'm also an engineer and can craft my own guns
and ammo. (Might explain the high damage as well. Engineers can craft
some pretty good stuff, and add scopes, etc.)

Chad

In <K7SdnTrM6MQRWLfeRVn-jg@comcast.com>, Doctorzoid <whizzn@abc.net> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> Thanks in advance for any help and insight in answering my question.
>
> I started Rogue life with a throwing weapon for pulling. I soon trained bows
> for better damage. However, since bows require a quiver, I've lost a
> valuable bag slot.

My (60) rouge has been using a bow for a very long time. I usually carry
around a single stack of (200) arrows. I really don't have to pull much
any more, the current stack has lasted me for weeks, including handing
the occasional 25 arrows to a warrior who ran out of his :) I think
until level 40ish I carried two stacks, but simply never broke into the
second stack before having a chance to get some extra.

Since most pulls are single-shot deals, you really don't need the
additional shooting speed a quiver provides you with.

> Since throwing weapons only take a slot in a bag, will throwing weapons ever
> do the range damage that bows will?

No, they won't; but damage on the bow isn't all that important to a
rogue anyway.

In addition, bows are available in the game that provide stats that are
very attractive for a rogue (Attack Power and +Agility). For example, my
current bow is the Ancient Bone Bow:

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37260

Which I was lucky enough to acquire in a Scholomance run where no hunter
was present :)

Nobwicket

<nobwicket@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In <K7SdnTrM6MQRWLfeRVn-jg@comcast.com>, Doctorzoid <whizzn@abc.net>
> wrote:
>> Hi All;
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help and insight in answering my question.
>>
>> I started Rogue life with a throwing weapon for pulling. I soon trained
>> bows
>> for better damage. However, since bows require a quiver, I've lost a
>> valuable bag slot.
>
> My (60) rouge has been using a bow for a very long time. I usually carry
> around a single stack of (200) arrows. I really don't have to pull much
> any more, the current stack has lasted me for weeks, including handing
> the occasional 25 arrows to a warrior who ran out of his :) I think
> until level 40ish I carried two stacks, but simply never broke into the
> second stack before having a chance to get some extra.
>
> Since most pulls are single-shot deals, you really don't need the
> additional shooting speed a quiver provides you with.
>
>> Since throwing weapons only take a slot in a bag, will throwing weapons
>> ever
>> do the range damage that bows will?
>
> No, they won't; but damage on the bow isn't all that important to a
> rogue anyway.
>
> In addition, bows are available in the game that provide stats that are
> very attractive for a rogue (Attack Power and +Agility). For example, my
> current bow is the Ancient Bone Bow:
>
> http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37260
>
> Which I was lucky enough to acquire in a Scholomance run where no hunter
> was present :)
>
> Nobwicket

Hi Nob...

Thanks a ton for pointing out that a quiver is not "mandatory". You're
point is well made and you have taught me something. (I have much to learn).

Thanks
Ironrage

I believe a quiver also allows you to autoload when you run out but I'm
not a hunter so don't quote me on that. If you don't have a quiver you
have to manually reload.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:35:34 -0000, nobwicket@gmail.com wrote:

>My (60) rouge has been using a bow for a very long time. I usually carry
>around a single stack of (200) arrows. I really don't have to pull much
>any more, the current stack has lasted me for weeks, including handing
>the occasional 25 arrows to a warrior who ran out of his :) I think
>until level 40ish I carried two stacks, but simply never broke into the
>second stack before having a chance to get some extra.

If you go to Molten Core you get to play with your bow on Shazzraz
(spelling?) - this boss keeps casting a buffed Arcane Explosions (1k
AoE damage around himself), plus he mass debuffs with a "take +100%
magic damage" curse. So the general tactic is to stuff a single tank
on him that you can heal, and then have everybody else kill him from
range - this includes the warriors and rogues.
Not that anybody will notice if you aren't doing anything - rogue bow
damage isnt exactly frightening. :)

>In addition, bows are available in the game that provide stats that are
>very attractive for a rogue (Attack Power and +Agility). For example, my
>current bow is the Ancient Bone Bow:
>
> http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37260

Ya, ranged weapons on warriors and rogues (and also wands for
clothies) are more for the stats than the damage - some reach now and
then for pulling is nice too, but that is pretty much it.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

While digging out a new addition to the Den, DaFox found a scrap of parchment. On it,
"Robert S." <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know why but my Level 44 Rogue does like 144 damage with a gun
>shot. It could be the high agility.

Yup... AGI effect range weapon damage/crits.... and sense AGI is a main rogue
stat...........

--

When E-mailing me, remove the Anti-Spam Device (Super) from my reply address
ICQ:6154582 Haven't got ICQ? Go here: http://www.icq.com/

>I have found another method (although you probably want to be close to 60
>due to the Zone :). If you do the fallen heros' quest in the blasted lands,
>the servants you have to kill using their cristal cannot be killed
>otherwise. As they will follow you you can easily pull one to a safe spot
>and start auto-hitting it. Once its health drops to around 42, it will go
>all shine and take no more damage. You can keep hitting them indefinitely.
>At that stage they deal hardly any damage, so you should be fine, maybe a
>healing potion every once in a while. Nice for levelling up new weapon
>skills :)

Somebody actually pulled one of these guys all the way to Kargath last
week. A raid formed on the guy for people trying to skillup. The
moonfires really weren't necessary though.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

I admit that I am a complete Noob at this. I've only been playing for about a week.

I have a level 15 rogue troll. I learned the bow ability a while ago, but i never bothered to go get supplies until recently. Now I have a bow, a quiver (which I apparently don't really need), and plenty of ammo. I equipped it, and added it to my bar (under #4 where my throwing knife used to be).

But, it doesn't work. I target something, and hit 4, but no matter how close I am to it, it says I'm too far away. I gradually get closer hoping to get it to work, but it just won't.

Any advice for me?