Double Click on Hard Drive from My Computer opens Search i..

My Windows XP always allowed me to open My Computer, then double click a Hard
Drive and view the files on that drive. I just restored and updated all
Windows software from Microsoft Update and everytime I double click the Hard
Drive I get the Search window. If I turn the Search off I'm not in any
specific folder. I used to only receive that when I needed it. Now I have
to Right Click the Drive Letter and Select Open or Explore. How can I fix
this issue?
11 answers Last reply
More about double click hard drive computer opens search

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Search/Command Prompt Opens When Double Clicking a Folder.
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "DRCallah" <DRCallah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EFFEE17-124A-4139-9433-45D797FDAF6E@microsoft.com...
    > My Windows XP always allowed me to open My Computer, then double click a Hard
    > Drive and view the files on that drive. I just restored and updated all
    > Windows software from Microsoft Update and everytime I double click the Hard
    > Drive I get the Search window. If I turn the Search off I'm not in any
    > specific folder. I used to only receive that when I needed it. Now I have
    > to Right Click the Drive Letter and Select Open or Explore. How can I fix
    > this issue?
  2. to remove window search, you click on all program then see accessories & then click on command prompt

    simple to fix
    click on start > run
    type in: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    press OK & wait to complete.

    it worked....
    michael comerie
  3. that is useful, had the same problem too but try to search everywhere and this is the only solution, what does the command do actually? it seems that all forums indicate some kin dof virus is doing that to my computer, does that command actually get rid of the viruses? where did u find out such useful information dude? awesome anyway...thumbs up..!!
  4. i kept getting notification on this virus W32.Gammima.AG with symantec antivirus. it says clean failed, quarantine failed, but delete successful. Is it just a notification or the file is still in my com. I can't find any solution, or is it maybe just the setting on my antivirus that lets it notify me everytime.
  5. Ive been working about day and half trying other sug.s and this worked!!
    My thanks !
  6. When i try to double click on hard drive in my computer (xp prof) it opens "open with" dialog box.

    I can select "windows explorer" from "open with" dialog box, but the "Always open the selected program to open this kind of file" stays grayed out.

    Any idea ?
  7. Quote:
    to remove window search, you click on all program then see accessories & then click on command prompt

    simple to fix
    click on start > run
    type in: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    press OK & wait to complete.

    it worked....
    michael comerie

    had the same problem it worked for me too

    many thanks john
  8. BRILLIANT , IT ALSO WORKED FOR ME
  9. Quote:
    to remove window search, you click on all program then see accessories & then click on command prompt

    simple to fix
    click on start > run
    type in: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    press OK & wait to complete.

    it worked....
    michael comerie

    Thanks It worked. My PC opens hard drive on double click. Thank u dude :bounce: :D
  10. awesome
  11. to remove window search, you click on all program then see accessories & then click on command prompt

    simple to fix
    click on start > run
    type in: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    press OK & wait to complete.

    it worked....
    michael comerie
    ----
    This one worked for me too.

Configuration Microsoft Computers Hard Drives Windows XP