Closed Solved

CPU/MOBO upgrade $250-350

Hi,
I am looking for some advice on a gaming pc upgrade. My first priority is high end gaming (Crysis 3, Skyrim, Fallout, Black Ops 2) I know there has been the recent AMD-8350/i5-3570k debate and I am wondering where could I get the best bang for my buck and get an upgrade to last me a while.
I built a build base off of Tom's 500$ value build just want a little more gaming performance and all around speed. My goals are an overclock of 4.2 Ghz for the 3570k and maybe 4.5 for the 8350 (although I know it runs hot).The Cooler I plan to use is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo so please include that in the price of any suggestions.
Here are my current specs:
Pentium G860 @ 3.0 Ghz
8GB Corsair XMS 3 RAM
Gigabyte H61M-DS2 Motherboard
Asus Radeon HD 7850 2 GB
Cooler Master 500w eXtreme Power Plus
500 GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
I know that PSU is terrible but I am about to sweep up an antec neo eco 620w for 49.99. Here is the link in case anyone else wants it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031
Another upgrade thought I had outside of this (on a separate budget) is:
Kingston Hyper 3K 120GB SSD for 90$ on Amazon
For the AMD motherboard, I need a mobo that doesn't require a BIOS update to handle the 8350.
Preferred Stores: Newegg.com, Tigerdirect, Superbiiz, Amazon, and NCIX
I don't have a specific upgrade timeline, just looking out for what would work now as I start making money in the spring. Another possible option would for me to pick up a i5-2500k off of ebay for ~165$.
Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am a total noob in these areas. Ask any questions you have about my post too, I know it is a long, confusing, block of text. Thanks
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mobo upgrade
  1. First, what is your budget ?

    The cheapest way in your case would be to buy a 3570k because you alreay have a intel motherboard on lga1155.

    You should upgrade your video card to something around 300-400$ (7950 or 7970).

    In gaming performance, that ssd won't give a sh*t.

    Psu's looking good but you should rather go for a Corsair or seasonic but corsair are cheaper. A CX600 should be enough for a 1 card configuration.


    - The Brownie
  2. ifyou have access to a local microcenter, they are selling the i7 3770k for 230$. Also, any mobo compatible is 50$ off.
  3. ndslite said:
    ifyou have access to a local microcenter, they are selling the i7 3770k for 230$. Also, any mobo compatible is 50$ off.

    I am in ct so I have no local microcenters. Also, since I dont't really plan on video editing, would it be worth the extra money to get the i7?
  4. Budget is 250-350, sorry forgot to put it in the post.
  5. Bromeh said:
    First, what is your budget ?

    The cheapest way in your case would be to buy a 3570k because you alreay have a intel motherboard on lga1155.

    You should upgrade your video card to something around 300-400$ (7950 or 7970).

    In gaming performance, that ssd won't give a sh*t.

    Psu's looking good but you should rather go for a Corsair or seasonic but corsair are cheaper. A CX600 should be enough for a 1 card configuration.


    - The Brownie

    First, I do have lga 1155 but on h61 I am not able to overclock on it. For IB without bios update would be z77. Also, according to the tom's who's who in power supplies the antec is made by seasonic. You can look it up in there most recent one.
    I know that ssd won't do anything I just thought to use it as a general upgrade.
    Lastly, to the video cards I don't think I need to upgrade because I only have one 1600x900 monitor so there is not a huge need to upgrade but it might become necessary in the future if there are any more games that decide to pull a crysis. Thanks for responding.
  6. soccerguy271 said:
    I am in ct so I have no local microcenters. Also, since I dont't really plan on video editing, would it be worth the extra money to get the i7?


    Not at all. I have a 3770k and there's not a very high difference between mine and my friend's 3570k ... Money for nothing. You could also get a Fx 8350 which is cheaper than the i5 and is better than the 3770k. See here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE


    - The Brownie
  7. Bromeh said:
    Not at all. I have a 3770k and there's not a very high difference between mine and my friend's 3570k ... Money for nothing. You could also get a Fx 8350 which is cheaper than the i5 and is better than the 3770k. See here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE


    - The Brownie

    Yeah I saw that video right when it came out as I am subscribed. His overclock video didn't show off the 8350 as much as I thought it would and while I respect Tek Syndicate, I don't want to base my decision off of one source. Lastly, and I forgot to include this option is wait for Haswell. Will it provide any better benefit than the 3570k or 2500k?
  8. soccerguy271 said:
    Yeah I saw that video right when it came out as I am subscribed. His overclock video didn't show off the 8350 as much as I thought it would and while I respect Tek Syndicate, I don't want to base my decision off of one source. Lastly, and I forgot to include this option is wait for Haswell. Will it provide any better benefit than the 3570k or 2500k?


    I don't think so ... The only thing that could change the world will be DDR4 :D It will be like Sandy to Ivy .. no much difference.


    - The Brownie
  9. One thing no one has spotted is that although you have LGA1155, your motherboard is not a board that supports overclocking of the processor, it's only a H61, not P67, Z68 or Z77. The top processor I would be looking at for it would be the i5-3570 (non-K).
  10. Best answer
    soccerguy271 said:
    Budget is 250-350, sorry forgot to put it in the post.



    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.21 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Total: $337.75
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    or just keep the motherboard, it supports the following cpu with a bios update : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087EVHVW/
  11. Does anyone know if the as rock is a good overclocker? Also links to reviews would be super helpful.
  12. It overclocks well for the type of cooler you'll have, here's a review:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4852/asrock_z77_pro3_intel_z77_motherboard_review/index12.html
  13. djs recommandation will suit u fine. the 3570k is the best i5 bang for bucks atm.

    a really good overclocker also.
  14. Best answer selected by soccerguy271.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Product