Sign in with
Your question

My Black Friday Build

Last response: in Systems
September 16, 2012 9:11:53 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/prolemur/saved/#savedbuild...

My current build I would hope to get and overclock it and the custom parts at the bottom are going to be purchased at a different time as an upgrade.
What are your opinions about my build and what would you change or suggest. Thanks -prolemur

More about : black friday build

a b K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 9:34:03 PM

The Sabertooth is overrated and expensive - and there's no point in purchasing it when you can get the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 for $100 less and it covers all the bases. The sound card isn't needed either. Drop both of those and you'll be able to upgrade your GPU to the GTX 670 or Radeon 7970 GHz Edition.

And then there's also no point in pairing a Z77 with the 2500K as you'll forfeit PCI Gen 3, go with the 3570K.

I think I would just scrap that whole build and get something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1470.74
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-16 17:33 EDT-0400)

A little bit more but that will be a way better use of your budget.
September 16, 2012 9:48:45 PM

Is the i5 3570k ivy bridge?
U want to keep these parts 100% unless there is another option that is better in every way: Corsair H80, Asus Sabertooth, EVGA GTX 660ti 3GB, windows home premium, Bitfenix Colossus black,

I want a good enough processor like the i5 3570k, 1600 DDR3 8GB, 64GB SSD, a fully modular power supply 80plus gold, any optical drive that can read and write DVD and CD. I would appreciate suggestions. :) 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 9:55:39 PM

prolemur said:
Is the i5 3570k ivy bridge?
U want to keep these parts 100% unless there is another option that is better in every way: Corsair H80, Asus Sabertooth, EVGA GTX 660ti 3GB, windows home premium, Bitfenix Colossus black,

I want a good enough processor like the i5 3570k, 1600 DDR3 8GB, 64GB SSD, a fully modular power supply 80plus gold, any optical drive that can read and write DVD and CD. I would appreciate suggestions. :) 

You're overpaying in areas that aren't that important. The three most important areas in any build are the PSU, CPU, and GPU. Everything else is kind of an afterthought. The GTX 670 and Radeon 7970 GHz edition far outperform the 660TI.

Closed block liquid loops like the Corsair H80 are horrendously unreliable. If you're doing liquid cooling - use the real thing or don't use one at all. I have yet to see any evidence that a closed liquid loop like the H80 is better than a strong air fan like a Noctua D14.

I included a 128GB SSD - which you can get for $30 more than a 64GB SSD and you get twice the space - 64GB won't get you very far these days.

And as I said the Asus Sabertooth is very overrated and very expensive for what you get - it's not that much different than the board I linked to. The board I linked to is $100 less, includes everything you need, and covers all the bases.
September 16, 2012 11:46:53 PM

The graphics card I want to get is 3GB FTW 660ti by EVGA and I also get Borderlands 2. It's also cheaper than the 670 with close benchmarks.

The other CPU Cooler I was thinking about was the V8 / Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme they looks sick like and judging by the size of these things it would get the job done, right?

I know that the Asus Sabertooth is a more flashy motherboard but I figure it comes with a 5 year warranty so I could keep this for a whole 5 years so I want a reliable brand and for it to also come with great looks. So I would invest more money into a cooler and one to be part of any future builds.

I only need 64GB SSD because all i'm going to be putting on it would be my Start up, Photoshop, Sony Vegas 11.0 and Microsoft Office 2010. Rather keep that $30 pocketed.

I'm only going to be using 1 monitor. No extreme graphics cards needed I don't think. And for the price of these things if they go on a big sale before Black Friday where everything goes on a huge sale anyways then I will get it so the prices aren't permanent especially for PSU's they sometimes go 50% off!

Thank you for your suggestions because i'm just trying to learn because I don't want to ruin my first build and I could use all the help I could get. Thanks again :) 
September 17, 2012 12:01:03 AM

g-unit1111 said:
The Sabertooth is overrated and expensive - and there's no point in purchasing it when you can get the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 for $100 less and it covers all the bases. The sound card isn't needed either. Drop both of those and you'll be able to upgrade your GPU to the GTX 670 or Radeon 7970 GHz Edition.

And then there's also no point in pairing a Z77 with the 2500K as you'll forfeit PCI Gen 3, go with the 3570K.

I think I would just scrap that whole build and get something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1470.74
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-16 17:33 EDT-0400)

A little bit more but that will be a way better use of your budget.

i took your rig and i polished a bit:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.60 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1311.49
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-16 20:00 EDT-0400)
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 12:17:04 AM

prolemur said:
The graphics card I want to get is 3GB FTW 660ti by EVGA and I also get Borderlands 2. It's also cheaper than the 670 with close benchmarks.

The other CPU Cooler I was thinking about was the V8 / Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme they looks sick like and judging by the size of these things it would get the job done, right?

I know that the Asus Sabertooth is a more flashy motherboard but I figure it comes with a 5 year warranty so I could keep this for a whole 5 years so I want a reliable brand and for it to also come with great looks. So I would invest more money into a cooler and one to be part of any future builds.

I only need 64GB SSD because all i'm going to be putting on it would be my Start up, Photoshop, Sony Vegas 11.0 and Microsoft Office 2010. Rather keep that $30 pocketed.

I'm only going to be using 1 monitor. No extreme graphics cards needed I don't think. And for the price of these things if they go on a big sale before Black Friday where everything goes on a huge sale anyways then I will get it so the prices aren't permanent especially for PSU's they sometimes go 50% off!

Thank you for your suggestions because i'm just trying to learn because I don't want to ruin my first build and I could use all the help I could get. Thanks again :) 

A GTX 660 Ti will run out of memory bandwidth performance long before it runs out of memory capacity, even with the 2GB models. A 3GB model is a waste of money. The 670 pulls over 20-40% ahead of the 660 Ti when heavy AA or overclocking is considered, so it really isn't close except in certain settings with lower graphics quality where the 660 Ti's memory bus isn't holding it back too badly. If you want a 660 Ti anyway, then get a non-Ti 660. Similar performance at a much lower price.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 6:40:50 AM

idroid said:
i took your rig and i polished a bit:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.60 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1311.49
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-16 20:00 EDT-0400)

I'm still really hesitant to recommend the Vertex 4 because I know the Marvell-based drives are solid and pretty flawless. I know the XFX PSU is a rebranded Seasonic - but so is the Silencer MKII.

Quote:

In five years you most likely won't have that board anyways so that warranty is a bit of a moot point.

If you're going to invest in a better cooler - avoid plastic water blocks like the H80, they're not better than a strong air fan like the D14. If you're going to do liquid cooling use the real thing or not at all.

Quote:

But... you have to keep in mind that formatting takes 10% of your drive and a full Windows install takes 16 - 20GB of space depending on install options. So on a 64GB SSD you'll only have about 25GB free, and after all the programs are installed, you start to lose a lot of Windows functionality (CD/DVD burning, backups, VM, etc...).
September 17, 2012 9:38:35 AM

prolemur said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/prolemur/saved/#savedbuild...

My current build I would hope to get and overclock it and the custom parts at the bottom are going to be purchased at a different time as an upgrade.
What are your opinions about my build and what would you change or suggest. Thanks -prolemur

No offense but that build is a hose job. The sabertooth is an over priced gimmick board and for the money you plan on blowing on that board and case you could easily step up to a 128GB SSD and not a crappy OCZ one at that and still have enough money to get a higher end gaming card like a GTX 670. I mean if it's a gaming build your wanting then it's all about Frames Per Second, and looks come later.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 12:07:07 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'm still really hesitant to recommend the Vertex 4 because I know the Marvell-based drives are solid and pretty flawless. I know the XFX PSU is a rebranded Seasonic - but so is the Silencer MKII.

Quote:

In five years you most likely won't have that board anyways so that warranty is a bit of a moot point.

If you're going to invest in a better cooler - avoid plastic water blocks like the H80, they're not better than a strong air fan like the D14. If you're going to do liquid cooling use the real thing or not at all.

Quote:

But... you have to keep in mind that formatting takes 10% of your drive and a full Windows install takes 16 - 20GB of space depending on install options. So on a 64GB SSD you'll only have about 25GB free, and after all the programs are installed, you start to lose a lot of Windows functionality (CD/DVD burning, backups, VM, etc...).

Agreed on SSD capacity and cooler, but seriously... Vertex 4 is using a Marvell controller.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 12:09:01 PM

Why_Me said:
No offense but that build is a hose job. The sabertooth is an over priced gimmick board and for the money you plan on blowing on that board and case you could easily step up to a 128GB SSD and not a crappy OCZ one at that and still have enough money to get a higher end gaming card like a GTX 670. I mean if it's a gaming build your wanting then it's all about Frames Per Second, and looks come later.

Vertex 4 is not crappy like most of their previous drives. It uses a Marvell controller, is highly reliable, and high-performance too.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 4:24:28 PM

blazorthon said:
Agreed on SSD capacity and cooler, but seriously... Vertex 4 is using a Marvell controller.

It's not using a direct Marvell controller - it's using a variant of the Marvell controller. Indilinx looks good on paper but when you pair it with OCZ's reputation of unreliable drive updates then it becomes a bit of an issue.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 4:39:06 PM

g-unit1111 said:
It's not using a direct Marvell controller - it's using a variant of the Marvell controller. Indilinx looks good on paper but when you pair it with OCZ's reputation of unreliable drive updates then it becomes a bit of an issue.

Their reliability issues (at least with the last few models) were mostly caused by their poor SandForce implementation. The Marvell controller in use is not modified in the hardware (although they do make their own firmware and did overclock it a little). Vertex 4 is highly reliable. A reputation from their older products is irrelevant in the face of newer products. What worries me for OCZ is that their next generation is supposedly using a non-Marvell Indilinx Barefoot-derived controller and it might bring back reliability issues, especially similar to those of their Octane line. However, that doesn't matter for Vertex 4.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 4:47:16 PM

blazorthon said:
Their reliability issues (at least with the last few models) were mostly caused by their poor SandForce implementation. The Marvell controller in use is not modified in the hardware (although they do make their own firmware and did overclock it a little). Vertex 4 is highly reliable. A reputation from their older products is irrelevant in the face of newer products. What worries me for OCZ is that their next generation is supposedly using a non-Marvell Indilinx Barefoot-derived controller and it might bring back reliability issues, especially similar to those of their Octane line. However, that doesn't matter for Vertex 4.

Yeah I agree about reputation. I really wanted a Vertex 4 for my system but at the last minute decided against it and went with the Samsung 830 instead. If I upgrade the SSD in my work PC at any point I might revisit the Vertex 4 idea.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 4:53:13 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah I agree about reputation. I really wanted a Vertex 4 for my system but at the last minute decided against it and went with the Samsung 830 instead. If I upgrade the SSD in my work PC at any point I might revisit the Vertex 4 idea.

Well, the 830 is still great too. It has a considerable advantage in power consumption over pretty much any other SSD except maybe for the Crucial M4 and maybe for some Plextor models and even then, it still edges them out a little and beats M4 in performance while trading blows with Plextor's similarly priced models. I still give the performance crown to Vertex 4, but the 830s aren't too far behind except in write performance (arguably less important than reads).
September 17, 2012 6:37:45 PM

blazorthon said:

OCZ is a rotten crappy company that lives off of gimmicks. I can't think of an OCZ product that was ever worth two craps other than maybe their ZT series psu's and those are still middle of the road psu's. Seriously when you have SSD's out there like Samsung, Sandisk, Kingston HyperX series and Crucial...companies that back up their products with firmware updates and reliability I see no reason to join the OCZ herd of sheep.
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 6:59:31 PM

Why_Me said:
OCZ is a rotten crappy company that lives off of gimmicks. I can't think of an OCZ product that was ever worth two craps other than maybe their ZT series psu's and those are still middle of the road psu's. Seriously when you have SSD's out there like Samsung, Sandisk, Kingston HyperX series and Crucial...companies that back up their products with firmware updates and reliability I see no reason to join the OCZ herd of sheep.

Couldn't agree more there - I'd rather have a solid product from a company that backs up their claims than with a product that is very overrated (Sabertooth :ange:  ).
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 7:22:13 PM

Why_Me said:

Firmware updates and reliability... That's exactly what Vertex 4 offers. The Vertex 4 has had more firmware updates than most drives have over several year spans and they've been much more effective updates than usual too. Nice try. Really, nice try. I don't recommend OCZ PSUs because they're not good, I don't recommend older OCZ drives because they're not good, and I didn't recommend OCZ RAM when it was around because it wasn't good... However, the same is not true for the Vertex 4. Marvell did a great job on that controller and OCZ managed to not screw it up.

I'd also like to point out that unlike their previous products, Vertex 4 customer support is far more top-notch.
!