First time builder, need some help!

Damashii

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hello I'm a new builder and I really have no idea what I'm doing. After the recent announcement of Western development for Blade and Soul I'd like to begin saving up or even buying a computer soonish for this game. Essentially I want something that would be able to run this game on it's highest settings since this is the only game I really plan on playing for quite a while, and figure I can upgrade later if need be right?

Anyways my budget is around the 1k range, no more than 1500 I'd say, that's as of now though, if I wait a few more weeks and what not I can probably save up more but as I said before, I'd like something that is good for THIS game, and not some sort of monster machine.

I don't need speakers or a mouse since I have both of those so take that out of anything you may have for me.

And when I say I'm new at this I really am, so please list EVERYTHING that needs to be bought, thank you.

Ah yes, the specs for Blade and Soul as of now from the Korean release seem to be as follows.

[Minimum Spec]
CPU: Intel Dual core/AMD Athlon 64X2 or better
RAM: 2G or better
VGA: nVidia Geforce 8600GT/AMD Radeon HD4600 or better
HDD: 15GB
OS: Windows XP (Service pack 2), Vista, Win7 (32bit / 64bit)
DirectX: 9.0c

[Recommended]
CPU: Intel Quad core/AMD Phenom II X4 or better
RAM: 4G or better
VGA: nVidia Geforce 8800GTX / AMD Radeon HD4850 or better
HDD: 15GB
DirectX: 9.0c

That's all the information I can provide requirement wise, so yea I suppose something that meets the Recommended settings on it, if not just a tad bit higher? Anyways, that's for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

OH and yea.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Sometime next month.

Budget Range: Around 1k before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Uh, everything I suppose? Starting from scratch.

Do you need to buy OS: I'm not sure...I guess I do if I'm starting from nothing.

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Wherever the best deals are! I heard tigerdirect is a good website for nice deals.

Parts Preferences: Again I have no idea, whatever is better for my needs.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: Haha I'm not too sure about this either, haven't had a non laptop in a while, but let's say above my current resolution which is 1366 x 768

Additional Comments: Other than gaming I do enjoy using Photoshop from time to time so a good computer with nice RAM would benefit me right?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: This isn't a gaming laptop and I need something to run newer games with ease!

g-unit1111

Titan
Here ya go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1087.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-16 18:08 EDT-0400)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791&Tpk=Vertex%204%20128GB
This is a better 128GB SSD and it's $10 cheaper than that Crucial M4.

Also, that PSU is overkill for a Radeon 7950. You shouldn't go over 650W with that card unless you plan on doing CF. Something like one of these would be better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Damashii

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks guys I'll be looking at those! If anyone else has some suggestions or changes then please I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter, I have a few weeks before I make a final decision!

What are you confused about? I recommended this hard drive because it is generally a little more reliable than the current Samsung/Seagate hard drives and is a few dollars cheaper than the hard drive that was recommended by g-unit1111 with comparable performance.

Damashii

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

Just that, like you know some people recommend something over something else, but you know in the end I'm not sure why that is, I just have to take people's words for it.

Sorry, I'll be more clear as to why I recommend things.

My SSD recommendation was because it is a faster SSD with the same capacity, comparable reliability, and a lower price.

My power supply recommendations were because a 750W PSU is overkill for a Radeon 7950 and the rest of your hardware. If a PSU isn't running at least around 20% of its rated maximum at any given time, then it degrades more quickly and more severely than it would at between about 20% and about 80% (going over about 80% is even worse than going below 20%). This is caused by the PSU's transformer having to run higher frequencies with lower loads that cause it to start to act like a Tesla coil and that damages it. Going over about 80% for extended periods of time instead causes increased wear on the capacitors and such.

g-unit1111

Titan

What reason? Warranty? They all pretty much come off the same assembly line. I have that Samsung HD and it's been a good drive so far.

Also, that PSU is overkill for a Radeon 7950. You shouldn't go over 650W with that card unless you plan on doing CF. Something like one of these would be better:

On that kind of budget I *ALWAYS* design builds with SLI / Crossfire in mind. You have the budget, you really want to limit yourself with a lower wattage PSU?

The Western Digital drives are generally more reliable than Seagate. Samsung drives are now just re-branded Seagate drives, so although they used to be better, they are no longer better. Also, my recommendation is a little cheaper without skimping on anything, so I made it based on price too.

Using a PSU that has more wattage (especially on the 12V rails) than is useful with a given system means that the system will run at a low fraction of the PSU's total output. If you go too low, the PSU's transformer starts to act as a Tesla coil. This is bad for wear and tear on the PSU and can hinder efficiency, maximum output over time, and longevity. 750W isn't quite too high for this build, but it's pushing it. If OP doesn't specifically intend to do SLI/CFX, then OP would be wasting money on a higher wattage PSU.