Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 FTW, 670 4GB SC, or 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 1:29:08 AM

So, I'm just about ready to pick up a new GPU to replace my 6950. I've decided to go with nvidia this time around, especially since the bench's and feedback from friends seem to really favor them over AMD. By the way, to clarify, I'm looking at the 670/680 range (690 is WAY out of my range). Based on everything I've seen, The 670 performs as well if not better than the 7970 with the 680 smoking it.
I'm interested in getting a card from my local store, mainly because I'm trying to avoid the credit card and I'm just pulling money out bit by bit til I can pull the trigger. Based on these cards below, what would be your recommendation? I play FPS games, specifically the Battlefield series, going to be getting MOH, and will be playing Planetside 2 as well.

670's:
EVGA FTW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA SC 4GB

680:
Gigabyte

They all look to have their benefits, with the FTW having a faster clock than the SC, the SC having the highest RAM, and the Gigabyte being the 680. That being said, I think I read that the 680 is only 5% better than the 670's, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. I appreciate any input you all have!
July 29, 2012 1:41:10 AM

There is no reason to get a 4GB version of the 670... that would only be useful at super high resolution (triple screen gaming), and the 7970 would be better for that anyways.

Also no real reason to get a GTX 680 unless you just want the bragging rights, as it's only like 7% faster than the GTX 670 but costs 25% more.

So, go ahead and get the EVGA FTW 670 :bounce: 

m
l
July 29, 2012 1:51:05 AM

Exactly what he just said.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 2:08:09 AM

I agree with this generally. However, I encourage you to make sure you're comparing the 7970 with its current drivers to the 670 & 680. There are some good benchmarks in an anandtech review of the 680 Classified, a heavily tricked out card from EVGA. Check it here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6096/evga-geforce-gtx-680... You can see that the gap really varies by game.

I think the 670 is still a better choice if you're playing at 1080p and you have a game in which it performs better than the 7970. But the driver updates and price drops on the 7970 have combined to make it much more attractive than it was when the 670 was first launched.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 2:23:35 AM

This is not on your list but I would highly recommend the ASUS GTX670 Direct CUII TOP. The Super Alloy components and overclock help it run cooler, longer (x 2.5 the avg lifespan), and faster than comparable cards. So much so it beats the reference GTX680 as seen in the benchmarks below YET costs $100 LESS:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

The following build quality features really sets it apart from other cards:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

JJ gives a good overview in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y2GoT-hRb8

It has been rated by many sites as thee quietest GTX670 on the market and should be a significant improvement over the reference design.

m
l
a c 607 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 3:01:45 AM

I agree with the Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP recommendation. It seems to be the quietest, yet also the fastest 670.

Having said that, I would definitely be happy with the EVGA GTX 670 FTW in my rig. It is basically a 670 chip on a 680 board. Which means better cooling, more power phases, and really good performance above a stock 680.

Since you haven't mentioned your screen resolution, you would only consider the 4GB version if you were gaming at very high resolutions or multiple screens.

Stick with the 670/680 so you can look forward to cranking up some PhysX games. The new Borderlands 2 looks to have some pretty nice added effects like tearing cloth, chunks of ground that blow up into the air, and water effects that respond to the player's movement.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 3:15:25 AM

Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP has locked voltage anyway, it is a little faster than other 670's simply because it has a faster clock. It is however a heck of a lot quieter, but @ $429 you can get a 7970 whch is a lot better. Physx shouldnt be a deciding factor since less than 40 titles support have ever supported it going back to 2007. As Matto says Borderlands 2 looks very good.
m
l
July 29, 2012 11:36:17 AM

I guess here is another question. Does it really matter which 670 you get? The FTW is just a factory overclocked 670 on a 680 chassis, right? So technically, if you get a card with decent cooling, you could do the OC yourself, save some money, and get similar results, right?

I guess there could be two problems with that. 1) I guess it would void warranty whereas the factory OC would be sold and covered that way. 2) I could be way off base.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 12:47:11 PM

I'd say go for the big boy and grab the GTX 680....
something about have all the cores enabled unlike the GTX 670 with a block disabled.

same thing for the GTX 570 I had, it was a killer card yes and I'm not complaining about it.
but in my mind that one block of disabled cores meant a better GPU still existed.
so I sold the 570 and went 580.

but then I'm OCD like that sometimes.
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:05:16 PM

Would you mind clarifying that a bit for me? I'm still newish to PC builds and parts. Is that kind of like with CPU's where it may have more cores but they aren't unlocked? If that is the case, how many are missing from the 670 vs the 680?

Thanks again for all the replies guys, you're all really helpful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 1:14:22 PM

big papa blood said:
Would you mind clarifying that a bit for me? I'm still newish to PC builds and parts. Is that kind of like with CPU's where it may have more cores but they aren't unlocked? If that is the case, how many are missing from the 670 vs the 680?

Thanks again for all the replies guys, you're all really helpful.

kinda like that...
GTX 680 = 1536 cores
GTX 670 = 1344 cores
m
l
July 29, 2012 1:16:52 PM

Ok, I gotcha. One last question...I think.

If I DID go for the 670, out of those two, I've got the FTW 2GB model and the SC 4GB model. Is the SC maxed out, or would I be able to OC it to the point it would match performance with the FTW? I know the FTW is on the 680 chassis and has better cooling, so I'm kind of doubtful, but would love your opinions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 1:21:59 PM

big papa blood said:
Ok, I gotcha. One last question...I think.

If I DID go for the 670, out of those two, I've got the FTW 2GB model and the SC 4GB model. Is the SC maxed out, or would I be able to OC it to the point it would match performance with the FTW? I know the FTW is on the 680 chassis and has better cooling, so I'm kind of doubtful, but would love your opinions.

SC is not 'maxed out' and you can overclock the hell outta the card and the FTW model can be clocked more too.
4GB to me is a little overkill but you never know about next year or so.
but only a $50 price difference.
if $50 is too much then don't, if you got the $50 to spend without compromise, then I would..
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:00:52 PM

Well, they are both currently the same price at my local store, so the price isn't really the difference maker for me. I am interested in getting the card that will perform the best. I guess looking at longevity, I could run the SC 4gb SLI in the future not worrying about the memory holding me back. That being said, 4 is a bit overkill for right now, and I'd be concerned about heat and upped volts lowering the life span. Then again, the FTW is probably already bumped up, meaning that it's life span is likely lower, but it does have a better cooler.

I'm pretty torn really. Part of me wants to go FTW just because I could leave it as is and not worry about voiding warranty.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:04:12 PM

The new 12.6 catalyst and 7970 GHZ Edition are faster than the 680. That means sacrificing power and heat, but the 7970's definetely can also overclock higher than a STOCK 680 (BTW I own a 680, so no AMD fanboy), but the 680 at full overclock will destroy the 7970. Lastly, save $100 with a 670 and get a waterblock....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 3:06:37 PM

tough choices.....
I say GTX 680 if same price but if indeed the GTX 670 performs better
(logically impossible since a lesser card than GTX 680, BUT SOME CHARTS SHOW IT DOES)
then I'd have to wait for 'matto17secs' weighs in on his thoughts....

he'll be back through.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:15:24 PM

verbalizer said:
tough choices.....
(logically impossible since a lesser card than GTX 680, BUT SOME CHARTS SHOW IT DOES)

he'll be back through.

Yeah on Passmark and some 3DMarkVantage scores the 670 beats the 680. This is a great thing as the 670 can be OC'ed higher than the others. Also, many people are talking about the Asus 670, but there are some other choices...

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GV-N670OC-2GD-GeForce-Wi...

This is a Gigabyte 670 with one more fan than the Asus 670 and has some crazy OCing levels, but only has 2GB of RAM.

This is a XFX 7850. 2 of them are $420 arounf the 7950/670 price point, but the 7850's are faster and have a DOUBLE LIFETIME WARRANTY. However, that means losing some PCI-E slots and some power.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 3:17:53 PM

no to the CF-X or even SLi solution for now...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 5:36:59 PM

I would suggest getting the EVGA GTX 670 FTW, it even performs better than the SC GTX 670 at 1080p. As the others have said, this card was made for OC with it's 8 phase VRM (Reference has 4, EVGA SC has 6 for comparison). It's just as fast as the ASUS GTX 670 DCII TOP but cost $30 cheaper and cost as much as a reference GTX 670. A GTX 680 is a waste of money IMO when this card performs better than it out the box in most games. It's also binned, hence the FTW standard.

EVGA has the best customer service dealing warranties and such.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-gefor...
m
l

Best solution

a c 607 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:01:19 PM

verbalizer said:
tough choices.....

he'll be back through.

It comes down to what you can afford and what your goals are. If you can afford the $500, then the 680 IS faster. Whether faster enough to justify the cost is a secondary issue. If you can afford it and you want the best, then no question on the 680. If you are content taking a slight performance hit to save $100, then the 670 is a no-brainer.

If it were me, I would be using a credit card more than likely, so the 680 represents just a couple more monthly payments. Worth it, for me, when broken down like that. All the same the 670 is a logical choice. All of these cards are so close in performance, you need to look at other pieces of the overall picture to find some separation and make a decision that you don't regret down the road.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:03:51 PM

17seconds said:
It comes down to what you can afford and what your goals are. If you can afford the $500, then the 680 IS faster. Whether faster enough to justify the cost is a secondary issue. If you can afford it and you want the best, then no question on the 680. If you are content taking a slight performance hit to save $100, then the 670 is a no-brainer.

If it were me, I would be using a credit card more than likely, so the 680 represents just a couple more monthly payments. Worth it, for me, when broken down like that. All the same the 670 is a logical choice. All of these cards are so close in performance, you need to look at other pieces of the overall picture to find some separation and make a decision that you don't regret down the road.

see I told ya (thread participants)...

he'll be back through to shed light...
cheers.

P.S.
I'd do the same with the c/c and get the GTX 680 if that's what I do..
m
l
July 29, 2012 8:20:35 PM

Thanks for the input all. Very informative and helpful.
m
l
July 29, 2012 8:21:45 PM

Best answer selected by Big Papa Blood.
m
l
!