Sign in with
Your question

Using 4 pin cpu power supply on 8 pin

Last response: in Components
January 31, 2013 4:03:26 AM

Hello,
My motherboard has an 8 pin input but my power supply only has a 4 pin. i plugged in the 4 pin and did a test boot and nothing happened, is it because of the power supply or something else?
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 12:13:02 AM

What processor are you running? It sounds like you're talking about a CPU power connector. The processor may not be getting enough power with just one 4-pin connector. It is recommended that both slots are used on motherboards requiring an 8-pin connector.

Does your power supply have other 12v ATX 4-pin connectors?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 1:46:36 AM

Many motherboards come with 8pin connectors for the CPU but like in your situation many motherboards only provide 4pin. I am using the same 4pin on a 8pin motherboard without any problem. So you don't need to worry about that. Just place the 4pin connector in the right place and if I am right the in top 4pins.
If your computer still doesn't boot there must be a problem with other components in your system like ram. Please try this and report back.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2013 11:07:34 AM

Anthonyhaddrick said:
Hello,
My motherboard has an 8 pin input but my power supply only has a 4 pin. i plugged in the 4 pin and did a test boot and nothing happened, is it because of the power supply or something else?

Hard to say, you haven't given much to go on.
Did you have a cpu on the board ?
What board is it ? Some will work with just a 4 pin, others want that signal that says an 8 pin is connected

m
l
Related resources
!