Sign in with
Your question

CPU hot temperature whilst idling (Pentium B940 2.0Ghz)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2013 8:35:31 AM

Hello, first post here. I recently bought a Lenovo G570 laptop from an amazon retailer. It is liquidated stock and is more or less brand new.

windows 7 home premium (64 bit)
500GB Hd
4GB DDR3 RAM
Dual Core Intel Pentium B940 @2.0GHz ;) 

however with no programs running and CPU usage hovering around 1-5%, the CPU temperatures are around 60 to 70 degrees Celcius. (using speedfan and Realtemp to check these temperatures). The fan is very quiet I can barely hear it at all. :( 

now my old Dell Inspiron 1545's Dual core T3000 CPUs idle between 30 and 40C. Both laptops are on a smooth hard surface with good ventilation.

How can I lower my Lenovo's CPU temps? There is no fan control option in the BIOS before or after I updated it. Speedfan doesnt display the fan in the program so I cant control it via that route.
Now I think my fan is integrated into the motherboard (?) UNLIKE this: .
INSTEAD it probably underneath where that socket is located, and underneath the motherboard.

Please help me find a solution. :( 
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2013 8:45:58 AM

Try a bios update.
January 31, 2013 8:52:00 AM

Quote:
There is no fan control option in the BIOS before or after I updated it.

hi there. I have already updated my Insyde H20 BIOS from 2.17 to 2.19 (latest). still no options for fan control (even if there was i dont know if that would sort it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 102 à CPUs
January 31, 2013 9:09:49 AM

Sorry misse dthat there is little you can do then if the fans are running as they should then you are stuck with it if they are not then you could get it repaired.
January 31, 2013 9:36:09 AM

I think the problem is the 'active trip point' is too high. ie. the fan only really kicks in above 70C. i'd like it to kick in properly above 55C.

I've seen an option to edit the 'active trip point' in a screenshot from a Phoenix BIOS screen. I have a Insyde H20 BIOS config screen that doesnt have this option however.

Does anyone know whether its common for this type of CPU to idle around 60C?
January 31, 2013 9:38:53 AM

It is common for laptops to run a lot hotter than desktops, but that is pushing it a bit.
Also, the fans generally spin fairly slowly on laptops until they get old and get ridiculously loud.

Not having had much experience with laptops, the only thing i could think of is that there is something faulty with it. Either that or thermal paste has been applied incorrectly to it. If every other temperature in speedfan and realtemp is low, then it's a problem with the cpu/heatsink.
January 31, 2013 10:06:03 AM

phil_livesey said:
It is common for laptops to run a lot hotter than desktops, but that is pushing it a bit.
Also, the fans generally spin fairly slowly on laptops until they get old and get ridiculously loud.

Not having had much experience with laptops, the only thing i could think of is that there is something faulty with it. Either that or thermal paste has been applied incorrectly to it. If every other temperature in speedfan and realtemp is low, then it's a problem with the cpu/heatsink.

hi.
yeah the other values seem ok. Temp1 is 0C for some reason and HDD (i think) is around 30C. perhaps the heatsink needs tightening or loosening? there is no dust at all on the fan which makes me believe the laptop is new. so i cant see it being a problem with thermal paste application...
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 10:45:04 AM

Trust me Thermal Paste Application on these Liquidated Stock Laptops are either non existent or poorly done.

I strongly suggest you reapply the Thermal Paste and please do your best to buy something that is not too liquid as you really do not want to be opening the Laptop very often.

Go for Shin-Etsu X23-7762 as it is a more solid paste in composition and recommended by most OEM's (INTEL, AMD etc)

You will have to start trouble shooting from somewhere I guess so you might as well start from Thermal Paste as it is one of the culprits for high PC Temps
January 31, 2013 2:33:17 PM

Nedal0 said:
Trust me Thermal Paste Application on these Liquidated Stock Laptops are either non existent or poorly done.

I strongly suggest you reapply the Thermal Paste and please do your best to buy something that is not too liquid as you really do not want to be opening the Laptop very often.

Go for Shin-Etsu X23-7762 as it is a more solid paste in composition and recommended by most OEM's (INTEL, AMD etc)

You will have to start trouble shooting from somewhere I guess so you might as well start from Thermal Paste as it is one of the culprits for high PC Temps

thankyou for your answer. I've applied thermal paste to a YLOD'ed PS3 before and that fixed it.
can I use Artic Silver instead of your suggestion? Going to have a look tonight at the cpu/heatsink contact.

I have another question though, you say the paste on liquidated stock is poorly done. why? the laptop looks unused so surely the paste is in similar condition to when it was manufactured.
a b à CPUs
January 31, 2013 5:45:31 PM

You can use Artic Silver if you are comfortable with applying it. I just suggested Shin-Etsu X23-7762 because it much more solid and will prevent any spill over.

With regards to my comment about liquidated stock, how do you know these are actually liquidated ? Also, most liquidated stock is used Office PC & Laptops from companies the have either gone bankrupt or just replaced their PC's and gotten rid of the old ones.

Of course these will look New as they probably have been refurbished and cleaned. If you think its new, we might have to find another way to fix the issue as I'm only trying help here. We need to start from somewhere, don't we ?

I know the T-Junction for your CPU is 85°C but it should not hit the Temps you are hitting now. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to let us know.
February 1, 2013 8:00:29 AM

Nedal0 said:
You can use Artic Silver if you are comfortable with applying it. I just suggested Shin-Etsu X23-7762 because it much more solid and will prevent any spill over.

With regards to my comment about liquidated stock, how do you know these are actually liquidated ? Also, most liquidated stock is used Office PC & Laptops from companies the have either gone bankrupt or just replaced their PC's and gotten rid of the old ones.

Of course these will look New as they probably have been refurbished and cleaned. If you think its new, we might have to find another way to fix the issue as I'm only trying help here. We need to start from somewhere, don't we ?

I know the T-Junction for your CPU is 85°C but it should not hit the Temps you are hitting now. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to let us know.

thanks for the reply. The seller said it was liquidated stock.
Ah i see now, the laptop was probably used in an office. I had been thinking it was bought off a retailer that had gone bankrupt. anyway...

I saw i was about 5C from the TJ when just browsing the internet. that cant be right, as you agreed in your post. Im going to send it back instead and get the lenovo b570e (do you know the difference bwteen the b570 and the b570e? im sure its nothing really) :) 
a c 102 à CPUs
February 1, 2013 9:13:07 AM

Sorry I would like to apologise for my poor answers yesterday I was in a weird state of mind.
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 9:59:33 AM

That's WEIRD :)  hehehe
February 1, 2013 10:20:34 AM

Just FYI if the laptop is still under warranty don't bother trying to fix this yourself unless the warranty only covers that they will try to fix it for you. If you can get a full refund and look for another laptop.
Laptops that tend to get hot out of the box is not really worth keeping if you can avoid it. It may just give you a big headache down the road.

If you can't return then apply new thermal paste.
February 1, 2013 2:30:40 PM

Mahisse said:
Just FYI if the laptop is still under warranty don't bother trying to fix this yourself unless the warranty only covers that they will try to fix it for you. If you can get a full refund and look for another laptop.
Laptops that tend to get hot out of the box is not really worth keeping if you can avoid it. It may just give you a big headache down the road.

If you can't return then apply new thermal paste.

yes i have a few days left to return it. i dont wanna be fooling around with a laptop ive just bought. best to send it back.
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2013 3:57:11 PM

Its just what we do here. You ask for the Help, we do everything in our power to Help.

At the end of the day, the decision to go ahead or not with anything is solely the OP's decision, and we always respect that.

February 6, 2013 10:27:52 AM

just an update:
thanks nedal, simon and phil for all the help.
I received a Lenovo B570 as a replacement laptop. In comparison it confirms that the G570 was faulty. the B570 runs between 40C and 50C when doing simple browsing tasks and streaming etc. the fan also works properly with air being blown out the side vent. on the G570 i could feel/ hear nothing in this area.

Also an i3 2330 2.2Ghz is a lot more capable than a B940 2.0Ghz it seems.
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 3:36:03 PM

Good to hear you received a replacement and everything is much better now.

Temps sound good and I guess you are set now.

Enjoy :) 
!