Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 590 overclocking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 5:18:24 AM

Hi , i want to overclock my gtx 590 +700 core clock and overvoltage the card but in msi afterburner the voltage is set to 913 max
and i cant adjust it , help me find any way to overclock my card

More about : gtx 590 overclocking

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 5:34:05 AM

You have to go into settings and unlock the voltage should be on the first tab in afterburner, be careful though thats the one setting that can really break your card. Not sure what a safe voltage is for the 590.

Why do you want to though? Do you need more power?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 5:41:41 AM

paddys09 said:
You have to go into settings and unlock the voltage should be on the first tab in afterburner, be careful though that's the one setting that can really break your card. Not sure what a safe voltage is for the 590.

Why do you want to though? Do you need more power?

Yeah he's gonna need a LOT more power if he over-volts with an overclock. :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 5:55:20 AM

:lol:  correction performance? the power is a cert! Had a look online I think you'll be capped to 1050 mV anyway, you can flash the BIOS to go higher..... but don't its set at that for a reason ;) 
m
l
July 29, 2012 5:59:47 AM

i unlock the voltage but iam not able to increase it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 6:04:25 AM

Is the slider as far as it will go to the right? Maybe you need to update your driver.
m
l
July 29, 2012 6:16:26 AM

i have the msi reference version and have the latest 304.79 driver and the voltage is locked at 913v and cant increase it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 6:27:52 AM

And you have checked this box?
m
l
July 29, 2012 6:41:20 AM

The link doesnt appear
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 6:45:25 AM

Yea not too sure why that is, my first time posting an image on here lol, maybe the admins have to ok it or something. Just click and drag it into your address bar or manually type it in.

Here it is incase you cannot see it : http://postimage.org/image/nb0qkjqdn/
m
l
July 29, 2012 7:21:41 AM

yes man i unlocked voltages from the settings but the voltage is a locked 913v max
i cant increase it , is there a bios that can unlock it i have the msi gtx 590
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:34:56 AM

I have no idea, everywhere I look it says the max should be 1050mv. Are you able to move the slider in any direction? i.e. turn the volts down?

Heres a vid showing the voltages maxed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XRhne0odjJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
m
l
July 29, 2012 7:37:39 AM

where is the bios that can help me overvoltage this card
m
l
July 29, 2012 7:41:52 AM

where is the bios that can help me overvoltage this card
m
l
July 29, 2012 7:50:52 AM

i think i need a bios update
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:52:33 AM

I really recommend you don't so Im not going to post it, the information is quite freely available on google and youtube though.

Applying more voltage to the GPU degrades the components much faster, may I ask the reason why you want to do it?
m
l
July 29, 2012 8:15:13 AM

i want to overvolt it in bf 3 to overclocking
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 8:25:13 AM

You should be getting pretty decent frames as it is. It doesn't seem to be a great card for overclocking anyway as it runs pretty hot at stock.

It seems that Nvidia have gone back and forth with what the max voltage on the core can be set to, but as far as I know it should be the 1050mV.

m
l
July 29, 2012 5:16:23 PM

i get over 60 fps in bf 3 ultra 4x msaa it is great card and i can overclock it to 670mhz
and 1870 memory clock without overvoltage . i want to reach 772 the core clock of gtx 580
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 5:33:45 PM

Well thats obviously a very acceptable framerate in BF3.

There is a reason they aren't clocked the same as the 580 GPU's, infact theres 2:

The amount of heat produced

And the VRM design doesnt really support that much of a voltage increase

Before you do anything have a little read through this:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=341338

Why would you want to take the risk of damaging your card to play a game that is already working great for you?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 5:35:09 PM

Heres the video in that thread too incase you miss it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc

That was at 1025mv, so maybe Nvidia has gone back again and not allowed any voltage increase, seems like a good idea after watching this
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2012 7:07:59 PM

The GTX 590 is not an OC'ing card... OC it and it's not a question of if, but when it will go up in a puff of smoke.

BTW, that video was about nVidia's bad driver for the 590 and how it caused that to happen.

nVidias 196.75 driver did the same thing and was causing the same issues on a myriad of cards.

Oops, nVidia's reputation of driver "perfection" goes up in a puff of smoke!

m
l
July 29, 2012 7:34:57 PM

you dont answer any of my question about how to unlock the voltage and get 1058 volt , every one talk about the cooling and i dont care about this
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:45:06 PM

Im not being funny, but you should give your card away to someone who cares about it!

We have given you sound advice as to why your card is not really capable of handling the kind of overclock you wish to achieve.

I was able to find the information in seconds of googling, If you can't you really shouldn't be attempting anything like this, sorry that's just how it is!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 2:35:13 AM

Here:

Quote:
You need to alter the following:

Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path
Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
m
l
July 30, 2012 7:03:21 AM

I think you dont know any thing about this card because it is impossible that the voltage of the card is set to 1058 and i know that nvidia overcurrent protection hinder the overclocking but now i overclocked it to 710 with bios update 975v the temp in bf 3 doesnt go above 89 , and i overclocked it without your help .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 7:11:11 AM

You can try using the latest Beta Drivers, as the other said, the GTX 590 is not really OC friendly. You card is good enough for Ultra on BF3, really don't see a need to overvolt the GPU. It's just that Nvidia is having issues with the Geforce 5XX series with the latest drivers, I had a few issues with my SLI GTX 560 Ti but have since upgraded to the GTX 670 and run BF3 at all settings max including AA and such at 60+ FPS solid, even in 64 player maps with explosions everywhere.

Windows Vista/7/8 64 bit driver

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/46279

Windows Vista/7/8 32 bit driver

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 8:16:17 AM

@OP I wasn't aiming to offend you, I was trying to be helpful by not helping you, if that makes sense.

I have no real world experience overclocking a 590, I thought I made that fairly obvious, just know what I read about them and that was that they didn't like over volting and thought you could use my input.

In the end it worked out for the best, If I had provided the info in the first place you could have been in a completely different situation now. You managed to get a decent overclock under 1v... so I stand by everything I said.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2012 11:57:47 AM

paddys09 said:
@OP I wasn't aiming to offend you, I was trying to be helpful by not helping you, if that makes sense.

I have no real world experience overclocking a 590, I thought I made that fairly obvious, just know what I read about them and that was that they didn't like over volting and thought you could use my input.

In the end it worked out for the best, If I had provided the info in the first place you could have been in a completely different situation now. You managed to get a decent overclock under 1v... so I stand by everything I said.

All the advice he received is sound. nVidia limits the OCing for a good reason... The only other thing to do is modding the bios and if he can't figure this out then he has no place even attempting it.

Quote:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_590...

Quote:
With a card like GeForce GTX 590, that has so much latent performance, I couldn't wait to try bumping the voltage to see how much I could gain from it.

As a first step, I increased the voltage from 0.938 V default to 1.000 V, maximum stable clock was 815 MHz - faster than GTX 580! Moving on, I tried 1.2 V to see how much could be gained here, at default clocks and with NVIDIA's power limiter enabled. I went to heat up the card and then *boom*, a sound like popcorn cracking, the system turned off and a burnt electronics smell started to fill up the room. Card dead! Even with NVIDIA power limiter enabled. Now the pretty looking, backlit GeForce logo was blinking helplessly and the fan did not spin, both indicate an error with the card's 12V supply.
After talking to several other reviewers, this does not seem to be an isolated case, and many of them have killed their cards with similar testing, which is far from being an extreme test.

Quote:
Both AMD's HD 6990 and NVIDIA's GTX 590 are hard to tame beasts during overclocking. On AMD you need to disable their ULPS ultra low power state to get anywhere. On NVIDIA I couldn't find a fix for the extremely unstable card during overclocking. When increasing clocks to find stable settings, the card often completely crashes the system in a test that it completed before, with Windows 7 the normal behaviour should be that the driver will stop rendering, show a "The driver has stopped responding" message, and you can just continue without reboot.
Once I got normal overclocking stable I went to work on voltage tuning which promises additional performance gains. Within a short time of testing, the card broke permanently by what seems to be an overcurrent situation. NVIDIA promises that their power capping will avoid such conditions by constantly monitoring the card's power draw and reducing clocks if necessary - in all applications. Apparently that system did not work and took the card with it. At $699 and possibly an RMA denial if that happens to you, my suggestion is that you should really not engage in overclocking with GeForce GTX 590 until this issue has been completely cleared up. For the record, the card worked perfectly fine and rock stable when it was just installed and left alone without any extra tweaking.
When directly comparing GTX 590 and HD 6990, it is difficult to find many clear wins for the GTX 590. It does emit a good deal less noise but is still noisy, all the other comparisons are either a draw or win for the HD 6990. Feature wise NVIDIA does bring a bit more to the table with 3D Vision Surround, CUDA and PhysX - if you use those. We wanted to bring you a Quad-SLI review of two of these cards in SLI, but NVIDIA did not have a driver ready. Quite surprising considering that this card is not much different to a GTX 480 Quad SLI setup. Functionally GF100 and GF110 are identical, the configuration of two GPUs on one card connected by NF200 are functionally the same as two cards connected by an NF200 chip located on the motherboard.
m
l
July 30, 2012 10:58:13 PM

have the gtx 670 had a limited voltages ? because i want to have 2x gtx 670 and overclock it to max and what is the temp when you play bf 3 . i have played single player and the temp with gtx 590 @710core clock-1870 memory clock is 89 digree but fps is 85 - 110 but in multiplayer 64 it goes sometimes between 55 to 90 fps .
m
l
!