"Click ..."

Everybody who doesn't know that hyper links with "click <here> to..."
whatever are the 2nd stupidest thing on the web (after the blink tag),
raise your hand.

How hard is it to write a web page that, once you successfully enter
your account & password, it just takes you to the thing you requested,
rather than requiring an extra click.

No, no -- it was a rhetorical question; it's not hard at all.

"To prevent automated break-ins", you say? How hard would it be for my
program which pulls up the WoW site and enters my name & password to
ALSO send an http-request with the results of the "click here" link in
it?

No, no, no -- another rhetorical question; not hard at all.

Gah! "Click <here> to go to the thing you requested" (they don't even
say "to continue managing your account"!) is Just Plain Silly!

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

Rastus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> Everybody who doesn't know that hyper links with "click <here> to..."
> whatever are the 2nd stupidest thing on the web (after the blink tag),
> raise your hand.

A call to action is a powerful selling tool.

I make adult web pages and always include a "call to action" on each page I
put up - but I never use "click here" as it has been overused and is
ignored. Proberly the best click through rate I have had so far was when I
was trying reverse psychology and put a simple, small plain text link
saying:

"Don't click. There is absolutely no hardcore Asian porno pics here."

The click through rate I had for that was double the nearest figure I ever
generated.