Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Difference between R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC and without OC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 8:02:34 AM

Please excuse me for asking such noob question but what's the difference between the OC and non-OC edition of this card? Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 8:11:20 AM

one is factory overclocked, and will run slightly faster than the non overclocked version, and some will sport improved cooling solutions, and fancier overclock utilities and whatnot
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 8:12:24 AM

The difference is the core clock speed of the graphics card. The higher the core clock, the higher performance of the card.

Basically it lets people buy graphics cards that are already overclocked, so you dont need to worry about overclocking them yourself.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 8:16:29 AM

dalmvern said:
The difference is the core clock speed of the graphics card. The higher the core clock, the higher performance of the card.

Basically it lets people buy graphics cards that are already overclocked, so you dont need to worry about overclocking them yourself.

not to mention their usually binned cpu's, which will perform better than their normal binned buddy's

alot of manufacturers will give em hyped up coolers as well to improve overclockability past there already set o/c
m
l
July 29, 2012 10:34:50 AM

dalmvern said:

Thanks, if I have the Non-OC edition and overclock it myself using MSI Afterburner, can I achieve the same results?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 10:52:26 AM

k80sg said:
Thanks, if I have the Non-OC edition and overclock it myself using MSI Afterburner, can I achieve the same results?

Yes, more or less. You can still reach the same clock speed, but like nna2 mentioned, the OC version will have a custom cooling solution so the card will stay cooler.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 7:09:03 PM

and may be a better GPU chip, so it will be able to overclock better
m
l
July 29, 2012 9:28:43 PM

I have the exactly same card (OC version) I can go to 1100 core 1375 memory at 1.050 and never goes past about 60 degrees in furmark or in... BF3 or any other demanding game. I can go to 1200+ but I have some heat issues in my PC case I think, it makes quite a lot of heat at that OC so I'll probably buy a new case or something. You will have to use TriXX not Msi afterburner since msi doesn't let you change voltage. And has a locked OC level.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 1:07:20 AM

you can unlock the overclock in afterburner, but it probably dosen't support the voltage regulator
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 1:16:05 AM

If you OC it yourself, there generally isn't much difference. The OC'ed version might still OC slightly higher but that is not guaranteed either.
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:51:19 AM

Best answer selected by k80sg.
m
l
!