Closed Solved

Looking to upgrade my GPU, budget is about $500

Hi all,

I currently have a Gigabyte HD6850 1gb card and although it has served me well it is proving to be rather limiting when it comes to the thirstier games such as BF3, plus with new releases coming this year I am very interested in (such as Black Ops 2) I want to be able to make sure I can run these games at high settings at around 60fps.

I am not particularly financial at the moment so my budget is around the $500 mark and I am hoping to get something that will comfortably handle the games I want to play as well as give me a bit of room in terms of the future. I'm hoping to just upgrade my GPU and not everything else!

I have been looking at the PowerColor HD7870 2GB and I'm wondering how it would work with my system and if I'd run into any bottlenecks with any of my existing hardware. My current specs are as follows -

i5 760 2.8ghz processor
6gb RAM
500w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit
160gb internal HDD
500gb internal HDD

With these specs, would this card be the best fit for my system? Further info is here if you need. http://www.powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=397

Thanks for your advice

DarkLord
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking upgrade budget
  1. Best answer
    For that price I'd get a GTX 670 and use the spare money to get either a better PSU or CPU+motherboard.
    The GTX670 is a very good card and I'm certain you will notice the difference.
    Check out online reviews/benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-5.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-test-review,3217-11.html
  2. First i need to know what PSU in other words the brand and model
  3. I found the receipt - it's a Silverstone ST50F APFC 500w.
  4. DarkLord1984 said:
    I found the receipt - it's a Silverstone ST50F APFC 500w.
    o.k. your fine then i would suggest the
    MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $279.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662#top
  5. Thanks bigcyco1. Do you think the GTX670 is a better option or would the 7870 do fine for what I need?

    Also, does it make much difference what brand you choose? The Powercolor one I am looking at seems pretty decent and fits in my case where as I don't think the other one will... lol!
  6. DarkLord1984 said:
    Thanks bigcyco1. Do you think the GTX670 is a better option or would the 7870 do fine for what I need?

    Also, does it make much difference what brand you choose? The Powercolor one I am looking at seems pretty decent and fits in my case where as I don't think the other one will... lol!
    The 7870 would fit your needs i am not 100 percent sure but i think your CPU couldn't hang with a 670 as for brand well Asus and MSI tend to make better GPU and are known for getting higher OC and provide better cooling options IMO i have never used a Powercolor made card but they don't have a bad rep so i am sure it should fine ;)
  7. Thanks again. I've researched a bit on here and it does seem that my CPU will be ok with a 670.... so I had a look at this one which looks good and not too far out of my price range - http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/other/auction-497828167.htm

    I'm from New Zealand hence the difference in prices over here :-)

    Only thing is it says it needs a 500w PSU with a minimum of 38A, mine only has 30A so I take it if I get this card, I'll need a bigger PSU as well?

    Thanks for all your help.
  8. DarkLord1984 said:
    Thanks again. I've researched a bit on here and it does seem that my CPU will be ok with a 670.... so I had a look at this one which looks good and not too far out of my price range - http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/other/auction-497828167.htm

    I'm from New Zealand hence the difference in prices over here :-)

    Only thing is it says it needs a 500w PSU with a minimum of 38A, mine only has 30A so I take it if I get this card, I'll need a bigger PSU as well?

    Thanks for all your help.
    Yes i think you would need to upgrade your PSU not 100% sure of that though but taking OC into account and the rest of your specs i personally wouldn't be comfortable without upgrading :( I would recommend any 550W seasonic or xfx brand PSU but to be safe just tell me what models are available to you and i will help you pick the right one
  9. I'll have a think about it and see what my wallet thinks... lol. Thanks heaps dude :-)
  10. DarkLord1984 said:
    I'll have a think about it and see what my wallet thinks... lol. Thanks heaps dude :-)
    :lol: no problem your very welcome!
  11. MSI's frozor 7950 is over at newegg right now for $310 after rebate.

    edit: ...or it's sold out since I saw it yesterday....Gigabyte's windforce 7950 is htere for $320 (after MIR), though.
  12. quilciri said:
    MSI's frozor 7950 is over at newegg right now for $310 after rebate.
    Hes from New Zealand though so prices are different and seem extremely high IMO :( I guess that's because i am use to U.S. prices though
  13. bigcyco1 said:
    Hes from New Zealand though so prices are different and seem extremely high IMO :(


    and I'm going to finish my coffee before posting again >.<
  14. quilciri said:
    and I'm going to finish my coffee before posting again >.<
    :lol:
  15. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471
    hands down best card for money... 670 is nice but once you overclock this thing even more... 0.o no way its over for the 670 haha both great cards though :)
  16. oh wait didnt see your psu requirements...


    Get that :)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131476
  17. quilciri said:
    MSI's frozor 7950 is over at newegg right now for $310 after rebate.

    edit: ...or it's sold out since I saw it yesterday....Gigabyte's windforce 7950 is htere for $320 (after MIR), though.


    Yeah that 7950 is kick ass...Bought one the other day and wow big upgrade from a 6870...Going to get another in Crossfire soon :)
  18. EchoOne said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131471
    hands down best card for money... 670 is nice but once you overclock this thing even more... 0.o no way its over for the 670 haha both great cards though :)
    Hes from New Zealand though so prices are different hes not able to get it from newegg for the same prices we are :(
  19. The 670 would be OK with the Silverstone 500 watter

    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-670/specifications
    Minimum System Power Requirement = 500 watts

    As for the card .... frankly it's real hard to compare anything with the 670., the non-reference versions especially. The Asus 670 TOP for example tops the 7970 Ghz Edition in both Guru3D's and Techpowerups testing

    The 670 TOP comes in at 999 fps in the Guru 3D game test suite at a cost of $0.43 per frame
    The 7870 comes in at 701 fps in the test at a cost of $0.44 per frame

    Asus 670 TOP 10.0 rating
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

    MSI Twin Frozr 7870 8.8 rating
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7870_Twin_Frozr/30.html

    However ....New Zealand prices are world's different than here..... so for your NZ budget, I'd suggest waiting for the 660 Ti to break in 0ne or 2 weeks, then see how it stacks up against the 7870.
  20. Another thing I need to consider is card length.... anything over about 25cm is too bloody big for my case :-(

    EDIT: In terms of PSU I think this one looks the best option - it's the same brand as my current one and will fit in my case easy as except its 750w.... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=497067617
  21. blackops 2 will run maxed on a 6850.
  22. DarkLord1984 said:
    Another thing I need to consider is card length.... anything over about 25cm is too bloody big for my case :-(

    EDIT: In terms of PSU I think this one looks the best option - it's the same brand as my current one and will fit in my case easy as except its 750w.... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=497067617
    That is a solid choice and i highly recommend you get it my son has that same one and hes running X2 GTX 480 in SLI with that it keeps our house nice and warm don't even need to use our heater anymore :na: "just kidding".P.S. The EVGA 670 is 10" x 4.38" and the GIGABYTE G70 11" x 5.4" x 1.7" the Asus 670 is 10.7" x 5.4" x 1.7" the MSI PE is 10.51" x 4.6" x 1.5" and i don't know what the other Models or brands sizes are sorry.
  23. I've checked this one out and it's 9.5 inches which is about 24 centimetres which will fit into my case... looks like the 670 appears to be the better option and even seemed to give the 7950 a run for its money so if/when I go through with this the 670 will be my choice I think :-)

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/other/auction-497828167.htm
  24. DarkLord1984 said:
    I've checked this one out and it's 9.5 inches which is about 24 centimetres which will fit into my case... looks like the 670 appears to be the better option and even seemed to give the 7950 a run for its money so if/when I go through with this the 670 will be my choice I think :-)

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/other/auction-497828167.htm
    sounds like a plan you'll be big pimping with that 670 good luck and enjoy! :sol:
  25. Thanks! One final question - if/when I go to the GTX670 I'll have to get rid of CCC as I'm switching from AMD to nVidia, how do I uninstall that?

    EDIT: Found a better one! This is a different brand but my PSU meets the requirements so I won't have to upgrade... for a while anyway! Here's the link - http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-497654919.htm
  26. I bought it! This is the one I ended up going with - heard good reviews and don't need to upgrade my PSU :-)

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=497654919

    Thanks so much for your help and advice everyone - wish I could select more than one best answer!
  27. Best answer selected by DarkLord1984.
  28. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics Product