Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I upgrade my CPU and Mobo?

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2012 4:05:11 AM

Hey everybody! So, my friend offered me a GREAT deal on his gaming pc. I'm definitely taking it, but I'm wondering if I should replace some of the components.

Here's his current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hgd3

And here's my possible upgrades: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hGmu

They have roughly a $100 difference, which is not too much.

Notice the changes in the CPU, Heatsink, Mobo, GPU, Case, and Memory

He is not including the monitor, so this is what I have chosen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 (1920x1080)

I'm mainly debating between AMD and Intel, and also a little on the graphics card, so please backup any advice you have, not just because you are a fan of either. I'm definitely changing the memory and case, however (I just don't like the look :p ).

My MAIN purpose for the build is gaming, and maybe some music production applications. I want to be able to run most games (Skyrim, BF3, Crysis, the like) on HIGHEST settings smoothly (40+ fps), and to also be future proof. I'm not too educated on overclocking or bottlenecking, so some advice and info on that would be welcomed.

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

More about : upgrade cpu mobo

September 17, 2012 4:26:56 AM

DO NOT CHANGE THE MEMORY!!!
His memory kit is really really good.Yes it does run at 1.65V but you can undervolt it so it can run at 1600MHZ CL8 which is still really really good.

Also his cooler is much, MUCH better than the Hyper 212 EVO

His case is also higher-end (better) than the one you chose.

The GPU upgrade is pretty pointless as the GTX 560 SLI is a very powerfull combination.
Of course the GTX 670 will use less power, create less noise and perform a bit better but i'd personally never pay 400$ just for those little things.
His graphics setup is a bit weaker than a HD 5970 so in this article you how little (if at all) it gets bottlenecked by the Phenom II X4.
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/cpu_scalin...
And your friend has an excellent cooler and a very high-end motherboard so you can probably overclock his CPU to 3.8+GHZ.Just for comparison an overclocked Core i5 3570K would be as fast as a 5GHZ 1st gen Core i7 in games.

The only situation in which you'll need the CPU upgrade is if you buy two GTX 670's.(they'll perform a lot like a GTX 690)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_690_re...
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:27:04 AM

how much is he asking for that build?
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 4:35:21 AM

Kamen_BG said:
DO NOT CHANGE THE MEMORY!!!
His memory kit is really really good.Yes it does run at 1.65V but you can undervolt it so it can run at 1600MHZ CL8 which is still really really good.

Also his cooler is much, MUCH better than the Hyper 212 EVO

His case is also higher-end (better) than the one you chose.

The GPU upgrade is pretty pointless as the GTX 560 SLI is a very powerfull combination.
Of course the GTX 670 will use less power, create less noise and perform a bit better but i'd personally never pay 400$ just for those little things.
His graphics setup is a bit weaker than a HD 5970 so in this article you how little (if at all) it gets bottlenecked by the Phenom II X4.
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/cpu_scalin...
And your friend has an excellent cooler and a very high-end motherboard so you can probably overclock his CPU to 3.8+GHZ.Just for comparison an overclocked Core i5 3570K would be as fast as a 5GHZ 1st gen Core i7 in games.

The only situation in which you'll need the CPU upgrade is if you buy two GTX 670's.(they'll perform a lot like a GTX 690)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_690_re...

Are you sure about the memory? I've heard really really good things about G.Skill. And my reasoning behind the upgrade is because A) It would be a newer card, and B) it will have the same performance with one card, which leaves room for expansion.

But, like I said, my main concern is with the CPU/Mobo. I've heard a lot of things about AMD just being overall inferior when it comes to performance per clock cycle, where as it's better with graphics. But is it enough to compromise on performance. And, he offered to RAID0 the two sets of hard drives and ssd's, and said a change in mobo will mean I would have to redo all of it, which I am not experienced enough to do.

Btw, PLEASE PLEASE elaborate on that bottlenecking comment, because I don't fully understand it. Do you mean the current CPU won't handle a better card?
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:35:51 AM

idroid said:
how much is he asking for that build?

He's asking $925
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:43:21 AM

llguitargr8 said:
He's asking $925

Tell him to Fock off.... here, buy this:

this build is MUCH better than that crap he is selling you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.56 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($364.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $970.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 00:43 EDT-0400)

and all the parts are BRAND NEW.
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:53:55 AM

idroid said:
Tell him to Fock off.... here, buy this:

this build is MUCH better than that crap he is selling you:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.56 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($364.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $970.97
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 00:43 EDT-0400)

and all the parts are BRAND NEW.

So you agree with a lot of my changes then? lol I'm going to buy it just because it's a good platform to start on. I will probably incorporate my upgrades later on. Now, I had no idea PCPP had a benchmarks feature so thank you for that! So, what is your thoughts on AMD vs Intel?
m
l
September 17, 2012 4:58:23 AM

llguitargr8 said:
So you agree with a lot of my changes then? lol I'm going to buy it just because it's a good platform to start on. I will probably incorporate my upgrades later on. Now, I had no idea PCPP had a benchmarks feature so thank you for that! So, what is your thoughts on AMD vs Intel?

no no no no.... don't buy that piece of sh!t, trust me, it sucks for its price.

My thoughts on AMD vs Intel are very clear and objective. AMD sucks, Intel doesn't, plain and simple. its UNACCEPTABLE that a $80 intel G850 has more gaming performance than a ~$180 FX-8150
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:01:49 AM

idroid said:
no no no no.... don't buy that piece of sh!t, trust me, it sucks for its price.

My thoughts on AMD vs Intel are very clear and objective. AMD sucks, Intel doesn't, plain and simple. its UNACCEPTABLE that a $80 intel G850 has more gaming performance than a ~$180 FX-8150

And what's your stance on RAID?
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:05:47 AM

llguitargr8 said:
And what's your stance on RAID?

RAID-X? 0, 1, 0+1 which one?
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:08:41 AM

idroid said:
RAID-X? 0, 1, 0+1 which one?

Well, he's got his ssd's in RAID0 as well as his hard drives.

The reason I ask is because his main point against the change to intel is that I would basically lose all of his work on the RAID setup. (In fact, I just realized: what will happen if I decide to make the change? What will happen to everything I've saved in the current setup? I guess I could just back up everything, AND THEN remove the RAID and save everything on the hard drives again.)
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:11:02 AM

llguitargr8 said:
Well, he's got his ssd's in RAID0 as well as his hard drives.

That guy is an idiot, you're waay better off having 1 SSD than dual SSDs in RAID-0 and because they don't TRIM support they will get slower over time and Vertex 3 SSDs aren't very realible.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:14:31 AM

idroid said:
That guy is an idiot, you're waay better off having 1 SSD than dual SSDs in RAID-0 and because they don't TRIM support they will get slower over time and Vertex 3 SSDs aren't very realible.

Sorry, I'm not really knowledgeable on this, so what is TRIM? I've heard Crucial's are the best, but I don't know lol
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:17:17 AM

llguitargr8 said:
Sorry, I'm not really knowledgeable on this, so what is TRIM? I've heard Crucial's are the best, but I don't know lol

This is TRIM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM SSDs in RAID-0 don't support that.

Edit: the best SSDs for less than 100$ are the Vertex 4 and Samsung 830.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:25:08 AM

idroid said:
This is TRIM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM SSDs in RAID-0 don't support that.

Edit: the best SSDs for less than 100$ are the Vertex 4 and Samsung 830.

So it basically tells the ssd's to delete unneeded stuff?

And yes, those three I've seen are very popular. I would probably feel more comfortable with a single SSD instead of a raid setup, since it will be carrying my OS and whatnot lol
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:28:46 AM

llguitargr8 said:
So it basically tells the ssd's to delete unneeded stuff?

And yes, those three I've seen are very popular. I would probably feel more comfortable with a single SSD instead of a raid setup, since it will be carrying my OS and whatnot lol

Yep!
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:29:24 AM

really, the AMD processor is fine. It's fantastic for gaming, the only place you may hiccup is in a huge BF3 multiplayer map, and that is remedied by overclocking. This is coming from a guy with a 2600k in his main rig, as well as an athlon 635 in his other rig.

I would certainly upgrade to the 670 if I were you. It is a substantial in several ways: first, it will be a single card, as you stated, which will allow for SLI down the road. Second, its a fantastic card all around, I got the overclocked version for 320$, so if you can wait for a sale, it is extremely hard to beat this option. Third, depending where you live, this may have more impact, but the 670 has a much smaller power draw compared to the 570.

Now as you can see, one 670 is more efficient than one 570, at both idle and full draw. However, if you have two 570 installed, then you will really see an increase in efficiency if you upgrade to the 670.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:41:59 AM

abraham_mammogram said:
really, the AMD processor is fine. It's fantastic for gaming, the only place you may hiccup is in a huge BF3 multiplayer map, and that is remedied by overclocking. This is coming from a guy with a 2600k in his main rig, as well as an athlon 635 in his other rig.

FANTASTIC????

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=88 <---- add a ~8% performance gain to the 2500k to make it a 3570k.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:56:33 AM

idroid said:
FANTASTIC????

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=88 <---- add a ~8% performance gain to the 2500k to make it a 3570k.

Ok, I'll bite.

First, lets make this clear, for all your supreme intelligence, you picked the wrong cpu in your AnandTech comparison. It's the 965, not the 955.

Second, we were comparing stock cpu's, I know, it's not fair to compare an overclocked phenom to a stock i5, and vice versa, but that is still what I am doing. The OP has made it clear that he is going to buy this system and upgrade it incrementally. So tell me, do you think it is worth spending $380 ($220 cpu + $150 motherboard) for a roughly 20% increase in synthetic benchmarks that have no direct correlation to gaming performance?

This is with a stock phenom 965, now if you overclock it, you will be going places. I would much rather have him sink the money into a more efficient/faster graphics card.

Finally, what games can you name off that will be severely hindered by this overclocked AMD processor. Can you name even one?
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:59:52 AM

abraham_mammogram said:
Ok, I'll bite.

First, lets make this clear, for all your supreme intelligence, you picked the wrong cpu in your AnandTech comparison.

Second, we were comparing stock cpu's, I know, it's not fair to compare an overclocked phenom to a stock i5, and vice versa, but that is still what I am doing. The OP has made it clear that he is going to buy this system and upgrade it incrementally. So tell me, do you think it is worth spending $380 ($220 cpu + $150 motherboard) for a roughly 20% increase in synthetic benchmarks that have no direct correlation to gaming performance?

http://i.imgur.com/YAuw7.jpg

This is with a stock phenom 965, now if you overclock it, you will be going places. I would much rather have him sink the money into a more efficient/faster graphics card.

Finally, what games can you name off that will be severely hindered by this overclocked AMD processor. Can you name even one?

Anandtech doesn't have the 3570k available for bench-marking.

those benchmarks are bullshit, look at the gaming ones.
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:02:11 AM

idroid said:
Anandtech doesn't have the 3570k available for bench-marking.

those benchmarks are bullshit, look at the gaming ones.

m
l
September 17, 2012 6:09:15 AM

abraham_mammogram said:

Every single game I have is hindered by my old 965 which I sold for $60. Minimum FPS in particular. AMD is crap for gaming. I often argue with idroid but he is spot on here. Don't buy AMD until Piledriver (if its even worth it).
m
l
September 17, 2012 3:09:42 PM

Like abraham said, I am, for now, going to keep the build as is, and just gradually upgrade what I need to. My MAIN concern is with the CPU/Mobo: Should I go Intel and sell the AMD setup. And then a lesser priority, should I keep SLI 560's or just sell them and go 670? And then the minimum priority: Should I bother resetting up the RAID setup he has, or just get larger drives?

^^My question in a nutshell, and the majority seems to side with the Intel side.
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:25:58 PM

llguitargr8 said:
Like abraham said, I am, for now, going to keep the build as is, and just gradually upgrade what I need to. My MAIN concern is with the CPU/Mobo: Should I go Intel and sell the AMD setup. And then a lesser priority, should I keep SLI 560's or just sell them and go 670? And then the minimum priority: Should I bother resetting up the RAID setup he has, or just get larger drives?

^^My question in a nutshell, and the majority seems to side with the Intel side.

I don't know where you live, but the average price for electricity in the US is $0.12/kwh. Assuming that, I have calculated the difference in electricity cost that you will experience between the 670 and the SLI 560's over a six month period, assuming that you never shut it off, and game 10% of the time it is on.

you'll save approximately $76 over six months if you switch to the 670 over the 560's.
m
l
September 17, 2012 6:37:56 PM

abraham_mammogram said:
I don't know where you live, but the average price for electricity in the US is $0.12/kwh. Assuming that, I have calculated the difference in electricity cost that you will experience between the 670 and the SLI 570's over a six month period, assuming that you never shut it off, and game 10% of the time it is on.

http://i.imgur.com/SfVre.jpg

you'll save approximately $76 over six months if you switch to the 670 over the 570's.

Seeing as a single card is, I've heard more reliable, you have convinced me. And yes, I live in the US lol Now, what are your thoughts on AMD vs Intel? In this post, I've scored it 2 for AMD and 2 for Intel! lol I generally hear better things about Intel, where people just buy AMD because it's cheap, but you get lower performance per core and lower processes per clock cycle.
m
l
September 17, 2012 8:12:29 PM

llguitargr8 said:
Seeing as a single card is, I've heard more reliable, you have convinced me. And yes, I live in the US lol Now, what are your thoughts on AMD vs Intel? In this post, I've scored it 2 for AMD and 2 for Intel! lol I generally hear better things about Intel, where people just buy AMD because it's cheap, but you get lower performance per core and lower processes per clock cycle.

no no no.... intel is better.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...

Those are 3 years old Intel CPUs.

Blue line = Intel G850 Black line = FX-8150

Blue line = i7 3770k with no HT (3570k performance) Black line = FX-8150
m
l
September 17, 2012 9:57:33 PM

Well, here's my question: Why? Why is it better? By the looks of it, I will still get VERY smooth frame rates, and at no extra cost to me past paying for the initial system. I've seen Toms Hardware consistently use Intel in their SBMs, but I just want to know why? What is it that makes them better? I just want solid, consistent, and RELIABLE performance above 40 fps.

I've come to the conclusion that selling the 2 560s would be best and then putting it towards a 670. Selling the 2 SSDs for one, larger one. I'm actually still debating between three cases (I don't really like the current one). But, I'm still not sure EITHER way on keeping the current CPU or selling the CPU/Mobo to put towards an Intel system.

That is my number one question. Why is Intel better? Or vice versa?

It's just for gaming, I always thought it was the GPU and Mobo and RAM that made the biggest difference. So, would a Phenom II x4 bottleneck a 670?
m
l
September 17, 2012 11:04:04 PM

llguitargr8 said:
Well, here's my question: Why? Why is it better? By the looks of it, I will still get VERY smooth frame rates, and at no extra cost to me past paying for the initial system. I've seen Toms Hardware consistently use Intel in their SBMs, but I just want to know why? What is it that makes them better? I just want solid, consistent, and RELIABLE performance above 40 fps.

I've come to the conclusion that selling the 2 560s would be best and then putting it towards a 670. Selling the 2 SSDs for one, larger one. I'm actually still debating between three cases (I don't really like the current one). But, I'm still not sure EITHER way on keeping the current CPU or selling the CPU/Mobo to put towards an Intel system.

That is my number one question. Why is Intel better? Or vice versa?

It's just for gaming, I always thought it was the GPU and Mobo and RAM that made the biggest difference. So, would a Phenom II x4 bottleneck a 670?

Because it is. plain and simple

*the question here is WHY do you want to buy an unbalanced and USED attempt of gaming rig???????

*if you want SOLID AND RELIABLE performance intel is the way to go, simple as that.

*Why the f*** would you prefer going trough the hassle of selling TWO OLD CARDS to get a strong one when you can get it right away????

*Who the f*** is going to buy two USED crappy SSDs with knows reliability and performance issues?

*Intel is better because their CPUs perform BETTER, is that enough for you?

*MOTHERBOARD AND RAM DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IN GAMING

*a Phenom II will have a hard time keeping up with a GTX670, you will have to OVERCLOCK very high to keep up with it and even then an i3 will give you a higher framerate.

*tell your friend to f*** off and tell him that he is a noob and knows nothing about picking adequate parts.

Buy this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($296.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1003.43
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 19:03 EDT-0400)

m
l
September 17, 2012 11:09:02 PM

I've said this before but when I chucked my 965 2 weeks past my minimum FPS shot up by a minimum 15%. Phenom's architecture is just too old for 2012 gaming. It will bottleneck a 670. Not to mention Ivy Bridge runs cooler and quieter. If you want to save get a 3470 and an H77 board - I went this route and my gaming system is rock solid.
m
l
September 17, 2012 11:19:07 PM

idroid said:

*the question here is WHY do you want to buy an unbalanced and USED attempt of gaming rig???????

*if you want SOLID AND RELIABLE performance intel is the way to go, simple as that.

*Why the f*** would you prefer going trough the hassle of selling TWO OLD CARDS to get a strong one when you can get it right away????

*Who the f*** is going to buy two USED crappy SSDs with knows reliability and performance issues?

*a Phenom II will have a hard time keeping up with a GTX670, you will have to OVERCLOCK very high to keep up with it and even then an i3 will give you a higher framerate.

*tell your friend to f*** off and tell him that he is a noob and knows nothing about picking adequate parts.

Buy this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($296.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1003.43
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 19:03 EDT-0400)

I'm getting it because it's cheap for me, with pretty decent parts, outside of the AMD core. Plus, I've seen the system run, and it works pretty well with decent frame rates. I will gradually replace the parts as I earn the money back. FOR NOW, it's a decent purchase. But you have sold me. I will replace the AMD with an Intel CPU and Mobo later down the road. Perhaps when Haswell comes out? ;D

However, not a big fan of that case lol
m
l

Best solution

September 18, 2012 12:34:34 AM

idroid said:

)
[/i]

woahhhh calm down there tough guy.

Intel is better this generation, plain and simple. I will not argue that. However, is intel so much better that it warrants a $400 expenditure? No, it does not. I have an athlon 635, which I stated previously, it still handles 2012 games quite readily. It is several tiers below the phenom. My recommendation, which I mentioned in my original post, was to save the cpu currently, and upgrade the gpu. Not only will he see a jump in performance, as well as not have to deal with the headaches of microstuttering, but he will also save a considerable amount of power, and conversely, money.

When the time comes, perhaps next generation, I would say upgrade. If the main purpose of this rig is to game, then the phenom will do just fine. Perhaps there will be a small issue of minimum frame rates, as previously mention. I'm saying what I would do, and without name calling (I'm looking at you, idroid), is keep the cpu, and upgrade when I find a sweet deal on an intel cpu, or piledriver AMD, that I will be certain that I am happy with. I got my 2600k for $200 dollars, I wouldn't own it if I had bought it at retail prices.

In short, I say upgrade the gpu, you will see better numbers. Do more research on cpu's, before you buy one. It's obvious that you are not quite comfortable with cpu architecture, or functionality. The only way to learn that, is to do research, tomshardware and thetechreport are good sites. This is the only way to ensure that you make a purchase that you are not only comfortable with, but will suit all your needs in the way that you desire. idroid is spitting out computer parts like he is the end all, when in reality, I don't think he totally has what you want in mind.
September 18, 2012 1:43:38 AM

Best answer selected by llguitargr8.
m
l
!