Sign in with
Your question

Need a Cheap GPU for 3DS Max and Maya

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2012 9:52:22 AM

Hello,
I am in need of a cheap GPU for one of my systems with configuration:
CPU: Intel P4 (2.93GHz, generally run overclocked, upto 3.3GHz).
MotherBoard: MSI G41M-P26
PSU: Corsair VS450
Monitor: Asus 2243FW (22" Full HD).
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3

I need it to work on 3DS Max/ Maya/ Bryce etc. and require simple rendering work to be done with it. I dont need a gaming GPU. Though I sorted out the cheapest Zotac 210 (ZT-20303-10L) and MSI NVIDIA N520GT-MD2GD3 but dont know that will they work for me or not.

More about : cheap gpu 3ds max maya

July 29, 2012 10:15:21 AM

What is you max budget for the gpu?

I can't remember - do 3DS/Maya/bryce make use of CUDA (or direct compute)?

If yes, are the features that are accelerated important to you (will they make a big difference in your normal workflow)?

if yes then you may want to re-consider a cheaper gaming gpu from e.g. nvidia. Make sure your gfx programs will be able to 'see' your chosen card for cuda/direct compute purposes (some older versions of programs e.g. photoshop required a 'hack' for some cards).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 12:19:27 PM

MAYA uses CUDA and [IS] better suited with a nVidia card..
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2012 1:25:19 PM

cyberpks said:
Hello,
I am in need of a cheap GPU for one of my systems with configuration:
CPU: Intel P4 (2.93GHz, generally run overclocked, upto 3.3GHz).
MotherBoard: MSI G41M-P26
PSU: Corsair VS450
Monitor: Asus 2243FW (22" Full HD).
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3

I need it to work on 3DS Max/ Maya/ Bryce etc. and require simple rendering work to be done with it. I dont need a gaming GPU. Though I sorted out the cheapest Zotac 210 (ZT-20303-10L) and MSI NVIDIA N520GT-MD2GD3 but dont know that will they work for me or not.

I guess both the GPU's have CUDA and both of them fall under the price tag of around $40-$60 USD, and that should be my budget for now as I am planning to upgrade my system in the next 6-8 months and I'll have a good budget at that time for sure, but for now I'll stick to this budget, with my old configuration.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 1:30:05 PM

cyberpks said:
I guess both the GPU's have CUDA and both of them fall under the price tag of around $40-$60 USD, and that should be my budget for now as I am planning to upgrade my system in the next 6-8 months and I'll have a good budget at that time for sure, but for now I'll stick to this budget, with my old configuration.

you need at least a GT 240 for any progress but also take note that your system IS WAY TOO OLD FOR efficient work-loading
but those cards you are looking at are just too too weak.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 1:38:34 PM

you can go for a gt 640 ( or any kepler gpu)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 1:41:44 PM

NO........!

do not get any KEPLER GPU for computing..
FERMI PLEASE or the older gen as well.
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:02:18 PM

Ok Guys :( ,

I figured out some more in that price tag, but please don't confuse me, and I really want to keep my budget tight so that I don't have to think of anything while throwing this one out, when I am ready to upgrade my PC. Following are my new search:

MSI NVIDIA N520GT
Forsa NVIDIA GeForce GT520 2 GB DDR3

I don't really need it for gaming, or some hardcore 3d Design. I am an IT student and currently in process of learning 3D Designing, so what I need is some simple, decent performing and CHEAP GPU even if it takes some time to render my graphics. Please Help me in solving this thing.
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:08:39 PM

And Please take a look at this one as well. "PowerColor AMD/ATI Radeon HD6450 1 GB DDR3"
m
l
July 30, 2012 8:10:46 PM

+1000 - nice find!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/201104062...

--> that's customised drivers for you! ......damn, I wish nvidia wouldn't deliberately cripple gaming cards through non-optimised (cad etc) drivers. User comments on the same link do talk about a bios mod for the 580 (mine)....will need to check.......
m
l
!