Sign in with
Your question

$700 Battlefield 3 Budget Build

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2012 4:53:19 AM

Well guys, I've been planning this build for a while now. Should be ready to order parts next week. Just need some opinions on this build I put together. If you guys have a better build, please share it.

Trying to keep it as far below $700 as possible. That way I can get a decent/basic keyboard (recommendations?) and maybe a mouse (already have one; may use it instead). So long as the base build is under $700, it's all good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.96 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $655.36
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 00:49 EDT-0400)

Please, no biased opinions. If you're going to offer advice, make sure it's within reason. I know the FX 6100 sucks on paper in comparison to an i5. I'm just seeking a budget build that can handle BF3 on ultra (some settings such as motion blur turned off) at around 60 fps. It would be nice if the minimum fps stayed above 35-40 during intense elements of the game.
September 17, 2012 5:04:16 AM

here:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $700.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 01:04 EDT-0400)
September 17, 2012 5:11:20 AM

AMD is not the way to go for this build. BF3 multiplayer in particular is very demanding for the CPU, so AMD is not the way to go. Unless you are interested in single-player only, try to fit an Intel quad core CPU into your build, even if you have to weaken the graphics card some; that's a relatively easy upgrade later. I wouldn't go lower than a GTX560 or HD6870. The PSU you've selected will be sufficient.
I cannot recommend CM anything regardless of quality. The company has been proven to be dishonest in competent technical reviews, and dishonesty should have consequences. Fortunately, Rosewill and Antec offer many good cases, and Xigmatek and Corsair offer similar coolers.
Related resources
September 17, 2012 5:19:39 AM

Onus said:
I cannot recommend CM anything regardless of quality. The company has been proven to be dishonest in competent technical reviews, and dishonesty should have consequences. Fortunately, Rosewill and Antec offer many good cases, and Xigmatek and Corsair offer similar coolers.

Really? any proof to back that statement will be greatly appreciated.... and btw, what does rationality has to do with dishonesty?
September 17, 2012 5:30:51 AM

Onus said:
AMD is not the way to go for this build. BF3 multiplayer in particular is very demanding for the CPU, so AMD is not the way to go. Unless you are interested in single-player only, try to fit an Intel quad core CPU into your build, even if you have to weaken the graphics card some; that's a relatively easy upgrade later. I wouldn't go lower than a GTX560 or HD6870. The PSU you've selected will be sufficient.

While I respect your "Intel would be the superior choice" statement, I do not care about dishonest reviews. The HAF 912 looks good and serves my needs. Dishonesty exists in all businesses...both great and small alike. Following that logic, I may as well never buy a product from anyone ever again due to dishonesty. :lol: 

Any multiplayer BF3 benchmarks that can somewhat accurately compare an intel CPU with the AMD option? Otherwise, I just have these vague and somewhat biased opinions to work with.
September 17, 2012 6:01:51 AM

idroid said:
here:

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $700.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 01:04 EDT-0400)

I hear dual cores are bad for bf3 multiplayer. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I do not care for the gtx 660 Ti due to it performing on par with a 7870 (which costs considerably less). I will not be needing an optical drive. I would also like to have a regular ATX board. I'm not a big fan of mATX. As for storage, 500gb is more than plenty of space. No need to spend more money on something I won't even use. I plan on buying a SSD in the future.

My main question is....will the fx 6100 paired with the HD 7870 be sufficient for what I want it to do in BF3 (high-ultra settings, 60 fps average, 35-40 fps min, at 1080p resolution)?
September 17, 2012 6:14:34 AM

idroid said:
Really? any proof to back that statement will be greatly appreciated.... and btw, what does rationality has to do with dishonesty?

In reviews of unrelated products (in this case, many of their PSUs), CM was found to be dishonest. Many companies exaggerate, or offer best-case scenarios that are unrealistic at best, but claiming protection circuits that are in fact missing is an outright lie. Here are some sample links:
LL=Liar Label, MC=Missing Circuits

1. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Ex...
2. MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
3. LL AND MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
4. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
5. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

...I think that's enough. These aren't dings for poor quality, but for dishonesty. Many others get dinged for quality; my favorite is probably the remark in HardOCP's review of the GX-650 calling it a "polished turd in a box."
So anyway, there you have it; a company which should not be supported, regardless of the quality of its other products. And get this, it gets worse. Having been called on it, they're going to pull them from the North American market and foist them off elsewhere. This per Gabriel Torres: "I had a meeting with them during Computex and, according to them, they are removing all power supplies with fake wattage from the North American market (and dumping them somewhere else)."
A rational person knows that failing to impose consequences on dishonesty is what allows it to flourish and spread.
September 17, 2012 6:35:25 AM

Onus said:
In reviews of unrelated products (in this case, many of their PSUs), CM was found to be dishonest. Many companies exaggerate, or offer best-case scenarios that are unrealistic at best, but claiming protection circuits that are in fact missing is an outright lie. Here are some sample links:
LL=Liar Label, MC=Missing Circuits

1. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Ex...
2. MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
3. LL AND MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
4. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
5. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

...I think that's enough. These aren't dings for poor quality, but for dishonesty. Many others get dinged for quality; my favorite is probably the remark in HardOCP's review of the GX-650 calling it a "polished turd in a box."
So anyway, there you have it; a company which should not be supported, regardless of the quality of its other products. And get this, it gets worse. Having been called on it, they're going to pull them from the North American market and foist them off elsewhere. This per Gabriel Torres: "I had a meeting with them during Computex and, according to them, they are removing all power supplies with fake wattage from the North American market (and dumping them somewhere else)."
A rational person knows that failing to impose consequences on dishonesty is what allows it to flourish and spread.

I don't see how this is relevant to my build as I do not plan on purchasing a PSU branded by cooler master. The XFX PSU idroid listed looks like a solid option...even over the Corsair I had picked out. If it's still going for that much when I make my purchase, I'll be sure to grab it.
September 17, 2012 1:40:05 PM

idroid listed a nice build. I would want to see benchmarks or perhaps YouTube videos (in order to judge the visual quality) to see if, for multiplayer, it might be worthwhile to weaken the graphics card in order to get a quad core CPU; but it should still do well.
Buying ANY CM product is supporting a dishonest business. Personally, I won't do that. A majority obviously don't care, which is why such dishonesty has become so common. Do you want it to continue, or perhaps change for the better, however slowly?
September 17, 2012 1:51:07 PM

actually I would go with a fx-6100 compared to the i3, imo so long as you get a decent gpu you can play bf3, there isn't that much increase in fps unless you use a different gpu, and of course even whether your using the i3 or the fx bulldozer, it doesn't make you play better, you get better as you play. but really I like your build TS you can already purchase it and play bf3 it's a great build and should well play it. no need for intel/amd/nvidia fans to make comments here and there.

so far I'm an Intel fan/Nvidia but I have multiple amd bulldozer systems too and they work great, so long as you got a decent gpu all are good and playable
September 17, 2012 1:51:42 PM

DeusAres said:

Also, I do not care for the gtx 660 Ti due to it performing on par with a 7870 (which costs considerably less). I will not be needing an optical drive. I would also like to have a regular ATX board. I'm not a big fan of mATX. As for storage, 500gb is more than plenty of space. No need to spend more money on something I won't even use. I plan on buying a SSD in the future.

My main question is....will the fx 6100 paired with the HD 7870 be sufficient for what I want it to do in BF3 (high-ultra settings, 60 fps average, 35-40 fps min, at 1080p resolution)?

Well, I think you do care about getting an nVidia GPU for battlefield 3. This particular title just runs much better on GeForce cards. Even the GTX 660 (not the faster Ti version!) will outperform the HD 7870 when it comes to BF3. Heck, even an GTX 560 Ti comes within 10% of HD 7870 performance when only considering BF3. Otherwise the HD 7870 is clearly the better card.

Reagarding the CPU, the FX-6100 will run it fine on Singleplayer. For multiplayer I do recommend Intel, preferably an i5.
September 17, 2012 3:47:03 PM

DeusAres said:

Well, the i3 3220 has an improved HT so BF3 will fully utilize the 4 threads on your i3 so you will be ok.

Nvdia cards are better for BF3
September 17, 2012 3:50:41 PM

Onus said:

Buying ANY CM product is supporting a dishonest business. Personally, I won't do that. A majority obviously don't care, which is why such dishonesty has become so common. Do you want it to continue, or perhaps change for the better, however slowly?

Buddy, dishonesty exist and will always exist, but only the smart and greedy ones (me) take advantage of it.

Edit: dude, EVERYONE in that does high-end business MUST be dishonest and take advantage of people in a smart way... just take a look at any of those "TV Only" products and you will see what i am talking about.
September 17, 2012 4:02:49 PM

here:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190.39 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $711.32
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 12:00 EDT-0400)

September 17, 2012 4:13:07 PM

Onus said:

Indeed AMD is not the way to go, but in terms of VGA. Nvidia has some advantages over Radeon Cards in BF3. But any Quad/Hexa/Octa even Ivy/Sandy Bridge dual core CPU will do the job.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_3_vga_...
September 17, 2012 4:15:10 PM

Depending on the resolution a dual core i3 is plenty for BF3. Built an i3 2100 with a 6670 GDDR5 into an NES case and at 720p its a very capable gamer. WHatever the stock settings are for BF3 at that resolution on a 64 player map, had a very good experience with it. I sell custom HTPCs in NES cases.
September 17, 2012 5:49:45 PM

Go with idroid's last build. It's a hair over budget, but looks to be money well spent.
September 17, 2012 5:56:41 PM

What about this build? I may be able to stretch the budget a bit...just keep it relatively below $750.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.96 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $725.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 13:56 EDT-0400)

I plan on upgrading the GPU to a gtx 670 in a couple of months. Just trying to get a decent base build started.
September 17, 2012 7:13:13 PM

idroid's selection is better. If you want an overclockable CPU, get an i5-3570K. I'd get a Z77 board instead of P67. And of course, no CM.
September 17, 2012 7:43:56 PM

Well, I want overclocking capabilites and a regular ATX board. A mATX board just seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I plan on upgrading in the future. Upgrading a motherboard can be tedious as you have to break down the entire build and start all over again.

I think this would be a better build and will serve my needs just fine. I don't care for ivy bridge. It's a tick; not a tock. The increase in performance from sandy bridge is miniscule. Also, I'll be playing more games than just BF3. I plan on playing Skyrim (with mods) and various other games. The HD 7870 will perform just fine for now. I'm sure I can overclock it even further with a non reference design. This should put it on par with a GTX 660 Ti and quite possibly a HD 7950.

I appreciate the advice, but I think I'm gonna go with either the FX build or the this build...

Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $720.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 15:36 EDT-0400)

I'm gonna be waiting this thread out for a couple more days and see if someone else can come up with better options. Perhaps there will be better deals in the near future.
September 17, 2012 9:02:48 PM

DeusAres said:
Well, I want overclocking capabilites and a regular ATX board. A mATX board just seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I plan on upgrading in the future. Upgrading a motherboard can be tedious as you have to break down the entire build and start all over again.

I think this would be a better build and will serve my needs just fine. I don't care for ivy bridge. It's a tick; not a tock. The increase in performance from sandy bridge is miniscule. Also, I'll be playing more games than just BF3. I plan on playing Skyrim (with mods) and various other games. The HD 7870 will perform just fine for now. I'm sure I can overclock it even further with a non reference design. This should put it on par with a GTX 660 Ti and quite possibly a HD 7950.

I appreciate the advice, but I think I'm gonna go with either the FX build or the this build...

Total: $720.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 15:36 EDT-0400)

I'm gonna be waiting this thread out for a couple more days and see if someone else can come up with better options. Perhaps there will be better deals in the near future.

Definitely go with that one. It will serve you much better, I think. I don't know a whole lot about AMD's FX line, but what I do know is it has their version of intel's "hyperthreading". Your fx 6100 isn't a six core cpu; it is a tri-core with three hyperthreaded cores. Same as the 4100 which isn't a true quad core. This is why so many people seem to prefer the older phenom ii line to the fx line, and with good reason. Still, since you can afford intel, definitely go with the one you just listed.

Also, do you already have a copy of Windows 7? If not, that'll be another 100 bucks.
September 17, 2012 9:08:31 PM

Already have Windows 7 taken care of...and I won't need an optical drive as I will be installing the OS via USB.
September 17, 2012 9:28:09 PM

Only suggestion I have is buying the SSD now and HDD later. Less of a hassle to add a storage drive than swapping OS drives.
September 17, 2012 10:05:28 PM

Would a 128gb SSD be enough storage for now? I have a laptop I can store most my media files on.
September 17, 2012 10:34:13 PM

My lord, you people are killing me, lol. It's either this build...

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $757.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 18:27 EDT-0400)

Or this build...

Total: $740.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 18:28 EDT-0400)

Both builds will vary in selected storage and video cards (hd 7870 is still an option for the fx build). May not get the SSD just yet. If I keep it up, I won't have enough money to get the game I want to play, lol.

I have spoken to quite a few owners of the fx 6100 and they say it handles bf3 multiplayer very well with their selected video cards (hd 7870/7950). I don't see any point in shelling out the extra $100 right now for the i5 2500k when the fx 6100 will get the job done until I can afford to upgrade later.
September 18, 2012 7:50:20 AM

DeusAres said:
Would a 128gb SSD be enough storage for now? I have a laptop I can store most my media files on.

I can't answer that for you...
September 18, 2012 12:13:51 PM

DeusAres said:
My lord, you people are killing me, lol. It's either this build...

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $757.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 18:27 EDT-0400)

Or this build...

Total: $740.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-17 18:28 EDT-0400)

Both builds will vary in selected storage and video cards (hd 7870 is still an option for the fx build). May not get the SSD just yet. If I keep it up, I won't have enough money to get the game I want to play, lol.

I have spoken to quite a few owners of the fx 6100 and they say it handles bf3 multiplayer very well with their selected video cards (hd 7870/7950). I don't see any point in shelling out the extra $100 right now for the i5 2500k when the fx 6100 will get the job done until I can afford to upgrade later.

Just go with the second build. The gap between the 7870 and the 7950 is actually pretty small, especially when overclocked. Not to mention the 2500k will vastly out perform the 6100 at stock and overclocked.
!