CommanderShepard

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
OK, exactly today, when I wanted to buy the Radeon 7850(Gigabyte OC), I read on the internet that the GTX 660 Ti might be better :??: . Should I wait for it or should I get the 7850. My budget is limited, like 270 $, so if anyone knows the price of 660 Ti, please tell me.
Thank you :) !

660 Ti is planned to be released at $299. It should have comparable performance to HD 7950. Much better than HD 7850. I suppose GTX 660 should be at around 250$, and it will have comparable performance of HD 7870. It is bound for release in 3 weeks.

verbalizer

Distinguished
no....
maybe the HD 7870 will but not the HD 7850..
it's not that strong of a card as you might think.
it's a good little card, not saying that, but I rather have better...

CommanderShepard

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
So let me know if I got this straight. The 660 Ti will keep my 3 years with high settings, while the 7850 will keep me with at least medium setting 3 years(it will be the same thing as with my curently GPU, people say it's weak, but it rocks). BUT, if the 660 will be better, then it will keep me better 3 years. Did I get it straight or am I stupid?

I'd suggest ya wait 2 weeks and find out instead of guessing how they will compare. In recent years I have followed 2 rules of thumb....

At system cost < $800, look to an AMD build
At system cost > $800, look to an AMD build

At GFX card cost < $200, look to an AMD card
At GFX card cost > $200, look to an nVidia card

Last generation, nVidia sold more 560's(10.25% of cards hitting steam servers) than all 68xx and 69xx AMD cards combined (10.15% of cards hitting steam servers) . AT the lower market niches, AMD similarly cleaned nVidia's clock.

The 670 "carpet bombed" the high end market including the 680. The mid range is still up for grabs tho nVidia coming awful late to the table. Right now I have lotta builds on "standby" waiting for the 670 TOP to become more available and the 660 Ti to hit shelves.

My only concern about the GTX660s is the rumored 1.5GB of ram. Of course there will be specialty cards with different configurations but I am surprised the base amount is not higher. (Assuming the rumors are true)

If you have a 9600GT you can definitely justify an upgrade. I would be all for a 7850 now. It is one of the best bang for your buck cards which leads me to believe any price drop due to the GTX660 will not be significant.

Not only that but prices of the GTX660s (like any other new card) will be artificially high for about 60 days until supply catches up.

TRENDING THREADS